[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does anyone else still root FOR the Knicks?
Author Thread
knickgeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #46
USA
3/6/2002  10:12 AM
I see so many messages here where someone says "I hope the Knicks lose so we can get a higher draft pick". So what - you rooted for the Bucks last night? You were sorry KT had a good game? That Houston played some D? You didn't notice that the Knicks actually ran a fast break play successfully?

I've been as critical of this team as anyone, but I never rooted AGAINST them!

And another thing: Why is everyone so down on Chaney? I'm not convinced he's such a bad coach. Van Gundy was extremely controlling and a micro manager. Chaney's asking these guys to be adults. Its a different style and in stark contrast to Van Gundy's.

While we might all agree that VG would have got more wins, it's obvious that he got out because he saw the writing on the wall and left Chaney holding the bag. Personally I'm glad they extended Chaney's contract.

I'm not so sure about Layden, but I don't think he's done as badly as people like to make out either. Letting Ewing go was a big blunder - assuming it was possible to keep him. I didn't like that deal at all. But he did bring Harrington and, leaving aside the cap issues, Anderson and Eisley for Rice doesn't look so bad either.

AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/6/2002  10:41 AM
Why is Layden a bad GM?

You know what, I'll even be friendly about it and only cover the beginning of this season. What were the objectives? Get an actual center and/or a SF.

results (probably not in the actual order it took place)?

1. bad draft, eventhough we had only two second round picks the picks were low risk and didn't even make it into the NBA. He could have chosen Loren Woods C , Kenny Satterfield PG , Jarron Collins FC or even Ousman Cisse FC but none of that.

2. outbid himself for Houston. No matter how you look at it a stupid move yet you can only blame Layden for this as a GM should know the NBA landscape and a players market value.

3. So while still without the set objectives of a C or a SF use the midlevel exception on Weatherspoon. Albeit a banger still a short tweener at the PF spot which is unnecessary.

4. Messes up the use of both medical exceptions of LL and LJ(too late)

5. trades Rice for a PG and a SG which still leaves us without a C or a SF

6. Leaves us with the following roster setup: 8 guards, 4 pf's and 2 ceneters who are called Spencer and Knight. JVG, whether he had influence re: trades or not saw the writing on the wall with this oldest and shortest team in the league and said sayonara.

So uhm YES,

fire layden

Member: #192
3/6/2002  1:02 PM
Posted by knickgeek:

I see so many messages here where someone says "I hope the Knicks lose so we can get a higher draft pick". So what - you rooted for the Bucks last night? You were sorry KT had a good game? That Houston played some D? You didn't notice that the Knicks actually ran a fast break play successfully?

I've been as critical of this team as anyone, but I never rooted AGAINST them!

And another thing: Why is everyone so down on Chaney? I'm not convinced he's such a bad coach. Van Gundy was extremely controlling and a micro manager. Chaney's asking these guys to be adults. Its a different style and in stark contrast to Van Gundy's.

While we might all agree that VG would have got more wins, it's obvious that he got out because he saw the writing on the wall and left Chaney holding the bag. Personally I'm glad they extended Chaney's contract.

I'm not so sure about Layden, but I don't think he's done as badly as people like to make out either. Letting Ewing go was a big blunder - assuming it was possible to keep him. I didn't like that deal at all. But he did bring Harrington and, leaving aside the cap issues, Anderson and Eisley for Rice doesn't look so bad either.
I see your point. Even though so many of us saying bad things about the knicks, including me, underneath we are ALL knicks' fan. Right? Why else we are in this forum, complaining, venting out frustrations and looking for ways to make this team good. That's what fans do. But you have to admit that this season is a big disappointment and the rebuilding process have to start from somewhere - a higher draft pick definitely helps. Sure, I was happy that KT had a wonderful game last nite (especially he's on my fantasy team this week :-)) and knicks beated the crap of out of a decent Bucks team. But I rather sacrifice this tiny satisfaction now and look forward for some long term success.

Regarding Chaney and Layden, I'm sure they are nice people and they would be successful in more suitable environments, Houston for Chaney and Utah for Layden for example. But I'm not happy with their performances here, especially the latter. I have to echo what the previous post said - we are not insiders, the only way we can see this is from the RESULT. I know it's not all his fault, but everything he had done since came to the knicks showed us one thing, lack of visions, maybe except the Harrington deal, but again, who got us Strickland, another guard for 2 forwards, the first place?
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
3/6/2002  8:24 PM
Posted by newbie:

I see your point. Even though so many of us saying bad things about the knicks, including me, underneath we are ALL knicks' fan. Right? Why else we are in this forum, complaining, venting out frustrations and looking for ways to make this team good. That's what fans do. But you have to admit that this season is a big disappointment and the rebuilding process have to start from somewhere - a higher draft pick definitely helps. Sure, I was happy that KT had a wonderful game last nite (especially he's on my fantasy team this week :-)) and knicks beated the crap of out of a decent Bucks team. But I rather sacrifice this tiny satisfaction now and look forward for some long term success.

Regarding Chaney and Layden, I'm sure they are nice people and they would be successful in more suitable environments, Houston for Chaney and Utah for Layden for example. But I'm not happy with their performances here, especially the latter. I have to echo what the previous post said - we are not insiders, the only way we can see this is from the RESULT. I know it's not all his fault, but everything he had done since came to the knicks showed us one thing, lack of visions, maybe except the Harrington deal, but again, who got us Strickland, another guard for 2 forwards, the first place?

Your absolutely right, as fans we can gripe and complain as much as we like. I've done my share. My inclination is to place more blame higher up, like with the Dolans. I've gotta admit when KnicksBabyYeah lays it out like that, its hard to defend Lazy boy Layden.

When JVG was coach, people complained about him and his "dour" style. Now we see he was keeping the team afloat through sheer force of will.

But recently its been the PLAYERS who've given up. They stopped playing D (Chaney's fault?) something JVG really stressted.

Now the FANS have given up. Now we root for the Knicks to lose. And some are even saying they'll root for them to lose again next year so they can get ANOTHER high draft pick. Yeesh. I guess we'll see if this gets us a good team down the line.

Starks3
Member: #211
USA
3/7/2002  6:30 PM
I ROOT FOR THE KNICKS...............................TO GET A HIGH DRAFT PICK
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone else still root FOR the Knicks?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy