[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Besides Ming and Williams
Author Thread
ScooterSLP
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #198
USA
3/5/2002  1:26 AM
Has anyone thought about what picks the Knicks could take besides Yao Ming or Jason Williams, should their pick slide a couple below the first 3?

Assuming they don't jump up, the Knicks would pick 6th right now. I could easily see them picking Drew Gooden or even Chris Marcus, considering how both could be great assets in the post, good rebounders, and shot blockers.
AUTOADVERT
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/5/2002  3:24 AM
Half the Knicks fans I know are saying we should draft Amare Stoudemire. I personally wouldn't mind drafting him or Qyntel Woods...
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/5/2002  7:32 AM
Drew Gooden, Quintel Woods, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Wilcox, Marcus Haislip, Jared Jeffries.....

second round: Smush Parker, Dan Dickau, Tayshaun Prince, Uche Okafor, raw talent at whatever position.

Tall, raw, talented forwards is what we should be concentrating on in the first round. Our frontcourt could use an entire new retooling with keeping only Camby or KT. One of them should be able to land us another draft pick come draft day, we'll be stuck with Spoon because of his long contract. We might trade either Spree or Houston come draft day as well but after the Caney resigning I'm not to sure that Jimmy D. will fire Scottie LayanEgg.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/5/2002  3:14 PM
If we can't get Yao Ming with our first pick i would like either Drew Gooden or Chris Wilcox. Stoudemire and Haislip are also good, but i don't think they have quite the game the other three have.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/5/2002  5:29 PM
If they did get Woods and decided to tank it next season and wind up with LeBron James, that'd be a very appealing swingman combo with LeBron James, 6 ft. 7 @ 2, and Qyntel Woods, 6 ft. 9 @ 3.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/5/2002  6:56 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

If they did get Woods and decided to tank it next season and wind up with LeBron James, that'd be a very appealing swingman combo with LeBron James, 6 ft. 7 @ 2, and Qyntel Woods, 6 ft. 9 @ 3.
Qyntel might go to Memphis, and secondly, Qyntel is a bigger unknown than Ming or Gooden or J-will.
Knixkik
USA
3/5/2002  7:25 PM
I think Woods will be good, but we don't need him. I like Chris Wilcox and i think he is comparable to Ben Wallace with his athletism and intensity, but has a developing offensive game which compares him to the Antonio McDyess-type. Read his resume at nbadraft.net and see why he would probably be a better choice than Amare Stoudemire or Chris Marcus. I think Stoudemire will be more like this year's Kwame Brown because he will probably be good, but it will take him awhile to develop. He needs to get some skills outside of the post and become a consistent scorer before he wins me over. Wilcox has a developing post game and an excellent touch around the basket to go with a nice turnaround hook-shot. He's also the type of guy that will come out of nowhere and dunk in misses and clean up other's messes, similar to Wallace. In the second round, if we go for a point guard i would like Dan Dickau because i think he will be one of this year's sleepers. He's a great shooting point guard and thats something we don't have. At power forward or center i like DeAngello Collins, Dan Gadzuric, Udonis Haslem, or maybe even Chris Christofferson from Oregon because of his size at 7-2, 300lbs. I also like Uche Okafor. Also remember that i think we have two second rounders this year, one being from Boston in the Chris Mills trade a few years back.
BigSm00th
USA
3/5/2002  9:57 PM
Yeah, I totally agree. If Williams, Ming, Woods, Stoudemire are gone, I think Chris Wilcox should be the man. 6 foot 10 power forward with lots of skills, I watched the two games Maryland played against Duke on ESPN and he played real well. And Caseloads, anything I say you seem to disagree with, whats your deal?
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
3/5/2002  10:38 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Yeah, I totally agree. If Williams, Ming, Woods, Stoudemire are gone, I think Chris Wilcox should be the man. 6 foot 10 power forward with lots of skills, I watched the two games Maryland played against Duke on ESPN and he played real well. And Caseloads, anything I say you seem to disagree with, whats your deal?
Ok, you forgot Gooden on the list to take before Wilcox. Wilcox is a good player, but I'm not sure if he's that much better than Marcus, but Marcus might not be our answer either. Never draft a player by position if you have a lotto pick - always take the best talent and let the chips fall where they may. I have a feeling that Spree or Camby are going to be dealt on draft day in a mega deal. Maybe we deal with the Grizzlies or someone else. Spree/and or Camby to the Grizz for their first rounder and fodder could be worth it.
john44
Member: #115
USA
3/6/2002  1:31 PM
if Wilcox comes out early i would take him in a heart beat. That looks like hes goin to be great. Hes big quick and good post moves. If not him then i would go after marcus he's 7'1 and we need size badly.
Matt
Caseloads
3/6/2002  2:24 PM
Posted by john44:

if Wilcox comes out early i would take him in a heart beat. That looks like hes goin to be great. Hes big quick and good post moves. If not him then i would go after marcus he's 7'1 and we need size badly.
Big Men Draft for us, in order:

Ming, Gooden, Wilcox, Marcus, Haislip.
Knixkik
USA
3/6/2002  3:20 PM

Ming, Gooden, Wilcox, Marcus, Haislip.
I agree with this list except i like Haislip before Marcus. Also, i'm hearing Brochardt is better than Marcus, but he's also injure prone so i don't know who i'd prefer. Either way i'm hoping it doesn't get to that point because we should get either Ming(very unlikely), Gooden(still unlikely) or Wilcox(most realistic choice for 7th or 8th pick). Stoudemire is also a possibility, but i just don't think he is as developed, nor has the potential, of Wilcox.
Caseloads
3/6/2002  4:45 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

bMing, Gooden, Wilcox, Marcus, Haislip.
I agree with this list except i like Haislip before Marcus. Also, i'm hearing Brochardt is better than Marcus, but he's also injure prone so i don't know who i'd prefer. Either way i'm hoping it doesn't get to that point because we should get either Ming(very unlikely), Gooden(still unlikely) or Wilcox(most realistic choice for 7th or 8th pick). Stoudemire is also a possibility, but i just don't think he is as developed, nor has the potential, of Wilcox.

No way do you take Haislip over Marcus.

Here's a breakdown of the ballers:

Ming - you take this guy - he can shoot the trey and play in the post. negatives, injury prone b/c of size and lack of bulk, issues regarding coming over from china, questionable opposition.

Gooden - proven player, but a twig, and definitely not the 6-10 he's listed at. questionable handles and shot. Snappy interior play and good dexterity. Can he pound inside in the NBA? The Shane Battier of this year in terms of skill and development.

Wilcox - raw, thin, but has good game, and nice toughness. Solid in the deep post, but needs more practice hitting outside 6 feet. Project.

Marcus - EXTREMELY SOLID - but poor conditioning due to return from injury this year, slow on the floor. AMAZING sweet baby hook. Nice FT shooting. Knock - he's somewhat clean cut and soft, teammates don't think he dominates as much as he should, could for a 7'2" player. He's a money player, needs more confidence, still learning the game, wants to take the big shot for his team. Delivers in the clutch. Big Wide Body. Blocks shots. Plays smaller than he really is, doesn't establish good post positioning, especially for a player of his size. Knack for rebounding. Watch this guy in the NCAA tourney. With a #7 Pick or later, we should grab this guy. We're not going to grab a FRANCHISE talent with the #7 pick, so we need to grab a solid post presence, and this guy is it. He's ready to start on an NBA team. Needs to hit the weights, despite being HUGE already.

Knixkik
USA
3/6/2002  5:01 PM
The break down for Haislip is that he is extreming athletic and has a 40 inch vert. He can bench 400lbs and is a work-out junkie with incredible stength. Must gain weight, but has solid inside game and can shoot well from the outside. Comparable to Marcus Camby with a better outside touch.
BigSm00th
USA
3/6/2002  6:36 PM
If Gooden is drafted in the NBA and is forced to play 3, it won't work out. I watched his last game on CBS and he just looked incredibly out of position and uncomfortable on the perimeter when he tried to put the ball on the ground and go one on one. I think Wilcox has more range then 6 feet, one of his arms has to be at least a few feet so I think thats a little short. If Haislip can put up 400 big ones on the bench, then I don't see how he can be compared to Camby because Camby is such a twig. And, I like the theory of drafting the best talent/most potential, so if it comes to our pick and there is Drew Gooden and Qyntel Woods, who do you select? According to most reports, Woods could be the next T-Mack and absolutely dominate and Gooden has positional issues. The last undersized power forward I can remember picked in the lottery was Marcus Fizer and he hasn't really done a whole lot on Chicago. And also, every year there are a few players that after having a good NCAA tourny they leave, or maybe they just want to go pro. I believe Jason Richardson declaring shocked some people last year, anyone know who might come out that isn't being talked about?
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
3/6/2002  7:36 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

If Gooden is drafted in the NBA and is forced to play 3, it won't work out. I watched his last game on CBS and he just looked incredibly out of position and uncomfortable on the perimeter when he tried to put the ball on the ground and go one on one. I think Wilcox has more range then 6 feet, one of his arms has to be at least a few feet so I think thats a little short. If Haislip can put up 400 big ones on the bench, then I don't see how he can be compared to Camby because Camby is such a twig. And, I like the theory of drafting the best talent/most potential, so if it comes to our pick and there is Drew Gooden and Qyntel Woods, who do you select? According to most reports, Woods could be the next T-Mack and absolutely dominate and Gooden has positional issues. The last undersized power forward I can remember picked in the lottery was Marcus Fizer and he hasn't really done a whole lot on Chicago. And also, every year there are a few players that after having a good NCAA tourny they leave, or maybe they just want to go pro. I believe Jason Richardson declaring shocked some people last year, anyone know who might come out that isn't being talked about?
if we knew, they would have been spoken about.

But the freshman Okafor, and Butler are possibilities, big men - Violette, etc... Guards are more likely to hold off.
Knixkik
USA
3/6/2002  8:23 PM
I think when it comes to the second round we definitely need to look at tall, athletic, raw big men because they generally have the best potential and are most likely to be the sleepers in the draft. For second rounders i like Dan Gadzuric, because he's big and is a fairly well rounded center, similar to that of an Erick Dampier or a player like him. Uche Okafor, Solomon Hughes, and Moustapha Diagne are others to look at who may be available in the late second round when we get our third pick, the one received from Boston.
BigSm00th
USA
3/6/2002  9:11 PM
Does anyone think we could package our two 2nd-rounders to a team that doesn't necessarily need a 1st rounder and would want depth like the Lakers or Kings? Two first rounders would really be nice instead of a first rounder and two second rounders. Also, at ESPN Insider it said that the Clips might not resign Michael Olowokandi and since Camby's contract is relatively moderate at somewhere between six and seven million, anybody think that if Olowokandi gets away, Layden could, get this, negotiate a trade sending Camby and possibly a future 2nd rounder to LA for Lamar Odom? This would then allow us to trade Sprewell and would start somewhat of a youth movement. LA then doesn't have to worry about Odom or Olowokandi and can re-sign McInnis, Brand, and Maggette and they could start McInnis, Richardson, Maggette, Brand, and Camby and the Knicks could put Odom at three, hope they land LeBron James and put him at two, then you could draft any of those forward/center types discusses in another topic (Gooden, Ming, Haislip, Marcus, Wilcox, etc.,). Since the NBADraft.net profiles say that James is an excellent passer we could have two terrific passing guards/forwards. Is this possible or have I tricked my mind into thinking the Knicks can do anything?

Also, if the whole thing with Stern giving them the number one pick, would you rather have it this year and get Yao Ming/Jason Williams or next year and get LeBron James?

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 03/06/2002 21:15:52]
#Knickstaps
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/6/2002  9:43 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Does anyone think we could package our two 2nd-rounders to a team that doesn't necessarily need a 1st rounder and would want depth like the Lakers or Kings? Two first rounders would really be nice instead of a first rounder and two second rounders.

Wait, does NY have 2 second rounders? I was checking www.nbadraft.net and it didn't look like it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/7/2002  5:08 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/draftnotes.htm

Although it clearly states here that we still get 2 second rounders from the Mills trade we probably don't get any.

We used them on Lavor Postell (ours went to Utah) and Michael Wright(ours used on Chenowith). I did notify Aran Smith of nbadraft.net but he would "look into it" so don't be surprised if it vanishes someday.

Actually we had a long discussion on the nyt forum why we wouldn't have gotten any second rounder as of yet and how come we had two last draft.

pick 1

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/nba-daily/older/99-00/scores6-27.txt

pick 2

http://www.nj.com/knicks/affiliate_media/spnet.ssf?/default.asp?c=advance&page=nba/misc/draft2001/ROUND2.htm

and here you can find the trade that got us the two picks

http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/2001/nba/nba/stat/1997nbatrans.html
Besides Ming and Williams

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy