[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What does insider say today about Jason Williams?!
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/1/2002  11:47 AM
Please post the new info on Williams, as we might draft this guy!
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/1/2002  11:54 AM
NBA Draft: Jason Williams or Qyntel Woods for No. 1?

Who in the world is Qyntel Woods? You better learn his name now.

Jason Williams, Duke's dapper point guard, is still the no-brainer No. 1 pick in the draft. And everyone in the NBA is making the pilgrimage to China to get a closer look at 7-foot-5 Chinese center Yao Ming. However, when David Stern announces the No. 1 pick in the draft on June 26th, don't fall out of your seat if a kid named Woods strides to the podium.

Qyntel who?

"I love Jason Williams, I think Yao Ming has a huge upside, but Woods is the best, most complete player I've scouted this year," one veteran NBA scout told Insider. "He's the closest thing I've ever seen to Tracy McGrady. He can play point guard, shooting guard, small forward. The kid is phenomenal. Of every kid who potentially could be in the draft, he's got the biggest upside."

Woods is a 6-foot-9, 230-pound scoring maniac. He averaged over 30 points per game and can jump out of the gym. Scouts say he's an excellent passer, has a killer jumper and a certain "knack" that just can't be taught.

"The intangibles are there, and that's what's scary," a Western Conference scout told Insider. "He does things that can't be taught. He's sees the floor, rarely makes a mistake and has the killer instinct. Jason Williams is a great player who'll have an immediate impact, but in a few years, teams will be kicking themselves if they pass on Woods. He's just so versatile. The only guy I'd take ahead of him is LeBron James. He's that good."

There's got to be a catch, right? There is always a catch.

Want to see Woods's team when March Madness rolls into town next week? Good luck. Woods plays for Northeast Mississippi, a junior college. All year, scouts have been making the pilgrimage to Booneville, Mississippi to see Woods. They've all walked away drooling.

A juco player going No. 1? What is the world coming to? Before the Celtics drafted Kedrick Brown in the lottery last year, it was tough to find any draft success stories with juco players -- apologies to Aleksandar Radojevic.

Junior-college players have a horrible history with early draft entry. Name a gifted juco player who skipped the NCAA for the NBA and you'll find a bust. In 2001, all that was supposed to change when Indian Hills teammates Cory Hightower and Ernest Brown declared early for the draft. However, both players had shaky performances at the pre-draft camp in Chicago and slipped into the second round. Neither player is on an NBA roster now.

Last year, Brown took a different route. He skipped the camps, opted out of workouts all together, and found himself as the highest-drafted juco player since the draft lottery started in 1985. This year, Woods could very well eclipse that feat.

With more players leaving school early, or skipping college all together, scouts have moved like locusts to the next fertile bed of talent -- the nation's junior colleges. Woods isn't the only one getting scouts' attention. Antwain Barbour (6-foot-5, Wabash Valley CC) doesn't have the same upside, because of his size, but scouts feel he may also be a possible first-rounder this year.

While the rule has been that juco early entrants are busts, teams are having difficulty ignoring the talent that is playing there. Shawn Marion and Steve Francis, who were overlooked as high school players, blossomed in junior college and then entered the NBA after one year in the NCAA Division I.

Brown has started slowly for the Celtics this year, but he's impressed coach Jim O'Brien enough that they felt comfortable shipping off their other top rookie, Joe Johnson, to the Suns. Could Woods realistically leap ahead of Williams and Yao and grab the No. 1 pick? With critics starting to creep out of the woodwork questioning Williams's game and how it will translate into the NBA (most of the criticism seems ridiculous), and with so much debate swirling around Yao, it's not as far fetched as it seems. Who thought Kwame Brown would've been the No. 1 pick in the draft this time last year?

Before we get ahead of ourselves, we should point out that Woods isn't even in the NBA draft . . . yet. He has committed to Memphis next season. Coach John Calipari found a way to convince Dajuan Wagner that he needed to skip the NBA draft last season. Will he be able to sell Woods on the same plan? Coach Calipari's ties to the NBA and the talent of the Tigers might be enough to persuade Woods that he should take a year to show off his game on the big stage.

Wood isn't so sure. "Playing in the NBA has always been a dream of mine, but so has finishing college," he said last week. "It's a decision I'll have to make at the end of the season. I have to look and see if I'm ready for the NBA or if I need another year of college basketball. But I think I'm ready."

Apparently, the NBA thinks so too.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2002  12:10 PM
didn't LJ come out of a Junior-college before making it at a big-time school? Anyone have any other scoop on this Qyntel guy?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/1/2002  12:31 PM
Hard to find alot of news about Quintel, however I do have a banner made with him on it.

He's ranked #9 here

http://www.bskball.com/2002Profiles.shtml

ranked # 6 here

http://www.nbadraft.net/

not even mentioned here ( site not finished I think)

http://www.draftsource.net/nba/index.htm

and not mentioned here, but this is clearly and alone the rating of college players

http://www.sportsline.com/u/basketball/nba/2002/features/PPI_index.html

and this is a pay site so don't know whether it's ranked Q or whether it's any good

http://nbadraftreport.rivals.com/
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/1/2002  12:37 PM
One of the sites listed this quote:
How long can they continually to wear down Marcus Camby's body playing center?

Which led me to ask this question...When is the last time Camby played a banger center on defense? Kurt Thomas always draws that defensive assignment. Camby's injuries occur mostly from falling down on offense. I don't think getting a center and moving Camby to PF is going to help him stay healthy at all.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/1/2002  12:40 PM
Posted by martin:

didn't LJ come out of a Junior-college before making it at a big-time school? Anyone have any other scoop on this Qyntel guy?
All everyone says is "the next McGrady"

But should we take this guy Qyntel if we already have spree and houston? Maybe Spree and Houston as Mentors? What about Yao Ming, as the next Dirk or Raef?

Jason Williams?
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/1/2002  4:39 PM
The way I figure it Williams, Wagner, Ming, Gooden, Stoudemire, and Woods are all top prospects and if the Knicks get any of them they'd better themselves.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/1/2002  8:47 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

The way I figure it Williams, Wagner, Ming, Gooden, Stoudemire, and Woods are all top prospects and if the Knicks get any of them they'd better themselves.
It's a good thing this Woods guy is becoming more known because there is more of a chance for a good big man(Gooden, Ming)to fall into the 5 or 6 area, somewhere we will likely be.
What does insider say today about Jason Williams?!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy