[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Get Yao Ming!
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/25/2002  6:19 PM
He is the real deal in my opinion and the best player available when we draft. Williams will be gone and so will Gooden, but if either just happens to be available, pick them up. Otherwise, get Ming. Stoudemire might be good, but if so not for many years. Haislip may be good as well, but he reminds me too much of Camby and it will take him time. Ely is decent, but no better then any of our other four power forwards. Marcus is big at 7-1, 285lbs, but in my opinion will be a bust. Brochardt could be good, but is another big gamble. Ming is a gamble, but i think we at least know he will be a solid contributer from the start because he is 7-6, 285lbs and has the skills. After that all he can do is improve. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
2/25/2002  8:04 PM
I hear that Ming is some what like Rick Smits but better.Hey if Smits was still playing with the Pacers now they would be in first place now that there aren't any dominating centers in the east.So Ming would be a big presence in the east.
Knixkik
USA
2/25/2002  9:33 PM
Posted by NYFAN4LIFE:

I hear that Ming is some what like Rick Smits but better.Hey if Smits was still playing with the Pacers now they would be in first place now that there aren't any dominating centers in the east.So Ming would be a big presence in the east.
Ming is a lot better than Smits because he's bigger, quicker, blocks shots better, and crashes the boards better. Smits was only capable of being a 15-8 guy in his prime while Ming could be putting up 25 points and 12 boards at his best. Hopefully next year if we get him he can contribute 13 and 10 a game or close to it. Then after that he'll only get better.
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
2/25/2002  9:44 PM
Remeber he still plays against really bad compitation. I think he is overrated.
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/25/2002  9:54 PM
Although his competition is nowhere near NBA caliber there is no way that a 7'7" 285lb Center would not dominate in the East where there is a serious lack of size and talent at that position. I believe he would allow us to cruise into the playoffs... BUT
He is not the solution to all our problems... he would be a nice start to a big fix needed. I also believe that alot of scouts are skeptical about his true worth due to his competition as Starks3 just finished pointing out. This might allow him to slipo in the draft a bit... perhaps enough that we might be able to snag him...
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/25/2002  11:49 PM
Man, you people are all crazy. The Knicks don't need a quick-fix, they need to START OVER. Yao Ming plays against what?, 6 foot centers in China. His center of gravity is very high, like Camby, creating a possible injury problem. He might not even come to the United States a la Fred Weis, stay away from him. Ming might get us an 8 seed, maybe. Ok, then what? The goal isn't to get to the playoffs, it should be to win championships. They need to draft a player who long term is going to help this team and I really don't think Yao Ming is that player. By the end of the season I think we'll probably be one of the worst 6 teams with only Atlanta, Golden State, Chicago, Memphis, and Denver being worse, so the chance of getting a top 3 pick won't be out of the realm of possibility. I think with a top 3 pick either Stoudemire or Gooden will be available, though I'd rather have Stoudemire becuase with Thomas's contract going for another 2 to 3 years, Stoudemire could be his understudy and when Thomas's contract runs out Stoudemire could take over. Using Kevin Garnett as an example of a player coming out of high school, his first year he averaged 10 points and 6 boards, his second year he averaged 17 points and 8 boards and his 3rd year he developed into the player he is now averaging a double/double, 19 points and 10 boards. We'd just have to break Stoudemire in and have patience and hope he develops into the player Garnett or Bryant or McGrady is today. The only other player close to Ming is ZhiZhi and he is the 10th man on the Mavs. I think you have to take Stoudemire.
#Knickstaps
Starks3
USA
2/26/2002  12:59 PM
I know me and u(bigsmooth) disagreed in the past, but I am 100 percent with u on this one. I have said it along, this guy is horrible and like i have said many times already, name one frigen guy over 7'5 that is good. Look at bradely for example that guy coulnt score if he was 10 feet tall, and if we want a guy that blocks shots we already have one and look how that always seem to work out, so if we draft this sorry piece of crap from china, it will be just another example of what an idoit laydan is!
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/26/2002  2:09 PM
Perhaps you guys are right... With a high pick I would be devastated if the Knicks mucked it up. Even if we did draft him, if he refused to come here like Weiss... I would go crazy!!! There is enough talent out there that we could play it safe and land a solid player for the start of our rebuild process...
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
2/26/2002  2:28 PM
Agree but still we would be the smallest team in the league.Knicks should make a deal over the summer or draft day for a big man.Cambell or Robinson.
Knixkik
USA
2/26/2002  3:06 PM
I think you guys are overrating Stoudemire more than i am overrating Ming. Amare is a 6-10, 240lbs, forward/center, who has a good inside game, but has no skills outside of the paint. He can't shoot, handle the ball, or do anything of that sort. I know he will be good and maybe an all-star someday, but the only thing he has proven to me is that he has no mind-boggling skills. He's a good athlete and a good power forward, but there are plenty out there. Until he improves his all-around game he will just be an average player. Ming may be overrated, but you know someone who is 7-6 and has good skills will at least make an impact in one way or another. Stoudemire is just a project for the time being.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/26/2002  3:43 PM
Posted by NYFAN4LIFE:

Agree but still we would be the smallest team in the league.Knicks should make a deal over the summer or draft day for a big man.Cambell or Robinson.

I surely hope you are not talking about David 'Sinking Ship' Robinson.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/26/2002  4:50 PM
Found this article interesting, it rates some players for this years draft, found it @ realgm.

http://www.realgm.com/src_justa_minute.php?articleid=3

If you read at the bottom about the Hawks it rates Ming, Juan Dixon, Gooden and a few others, its worth a read.
#Knickstaps
prowler
Member: #135
USA
2/27/2002  10:38 AM
Guys we all no that we need the most help at the center position but we also need immediate help. The draft is all about the getting best athlete available at your designated pick. In my opinion Drew Gooden is the player most likely to make an immediate impact on the team he joins. If we could get him he should be our choice even though that would leave us to pursue a viable center through free agency.

"Drew Gooden to the NY Knickerbockers"
knicker for life
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
2/27/2002  2:43 PM
Oh no. If there's any chance he would refuse to come here or his team won't let him go, we can't afford to waste a pick on him.
Posted by nyvector16:

Perhaps you guys are right... With a high pick I would be devastated if the Knicks mucked it up. Even if we did draft him, if he refused to come here like Weiss... I would go crazy!!! There is enough talent out there that we could play it safe and land a solid player for the start of our rebuild process...
Knixkik
USA
2/27/2002  4:02 PM
According to the Daily News(article available on the front page) Layden is going to scout Ming again. They say Layden really likes him and Ming is his favorite player available for the upcoming draft. Here is the profile they have on the article.

Yao the Man

Birth Date: 9/12/80
Ht/Wt: 7-6, 283
Position: Center
Team: Shanghai Sharks
Hometown: Shanghai, China
Strengths: Has good agility considering his size. Can shoot from NBA three-point range. Is a solid passer and shot blocker. Can run the floor and appears to be ready for the challenge of playing against the world's best.
Weaknesses: Injury concerns. His knees and ankles are under immense pressure due to his size. Ming will have to adjust to the speed of the NBA game, something that will take awhile. Though he is eligible for the 2002 NBA draft, it's no lock that Ming will be playing in the league next season. There is some concern that his current team, the Shanghai Sharks, won't allow him to join the NBA for the 2002-2003 season.

Sounds like a worth-while pick to me.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/27/2002  6:20 PM
Weaknesses: Injury concerns. His knees and ankles are under immense pressure due to his size. Ming will have to adjust to the speed of the NBA game, something that will take awhile. Though he is eligible for the 2002 NBA draft, it's no lock that Ming will be playing in the league next season. There is some concern that his current team, the Shanghai Sharks, won't allow him to join the NBA for the 2002-2003 season.

And that's the reason why we should possibly NOT draft this guy.
KEEPCAMBYNY
Member: #86
USA
2/27/2002  6:32 PM
I think taking a chance on Ming would be a good idea. At best, we could be getting a 7'6 Dirk Nowitzski with the potential to average 25 points and 15 rebounds. If this happens, he will redefine the center position. Now if he is a bust, we will at very least be getting a a Shawn Bradley that can shoot the three. Meaning he will be able to shoot over everyone easily. Just keep in mind that all championship teams have had a good center(with the except of the bulls who had the greatest player ever) so I look at it as rebuilding, but starting with the center position. We will be in the draft again next year and we can hopefully get Lebaron James next year in the draft and have our own version of Shaq and Kobe.
I bleed orange and blue for life.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
2/27/2002  7:24 PM
But if the Shanghai Sharks won't allow him to join the NBA for the 2002-2003 season we won't have him for another year. And what if he decides he wants to stay in China? Then we won't have him at all.
Posted by KEEPCAMBYNY:

I think taking a chance on Ming would be a good idea. At best, we could be getting a 7'6 Dirk Nowitzski with the potential to average 25 points and 15 rebounds. If this happens, he will redefine the center position. Now if he is a bust, we will at very least be getting a a Shawn Bradley that can shoot the three. Meaning he will be able to shoot over everyone easily. Just keep in mind that all championship teams have had a good center(with the except of the bulls who had the greatest player ever) so I look at it as rebuilding, but starting with the center position. We will be in the draft again next year and we can hopefully get Lebaron James next year in the draft and have our own version of Shaq and Kobe.

[Edited by - knickgeek on 02/27/2002 19:26:34]
Knixkik
USA
2/27/2002  8:16 PM
We'll know before the draft whether he'll be able to play next season or not. He's worth the gamble if he can play. If not, we may be able to trade for a late-first rounder and grab him. I expect him to play though.
Starks3
USA
2/27/2002  8:34 PM
This guy sucks!!!!
Get Yao Ming!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy