[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
2/25/2002  2:05 PM
Gooden is a tweener. He doesn't have bulk to play at PF in the NBA and doesn't got range (i know, people say he can't display his arsenal at Kansas right now, but that's junk - he scores most his points in the paint off of weak side putbacks or mini tipins and stuff), no sweet baby hooks or nothing that could make him a good PF project. his body type is too lean. Speaking of lean, he doesn't have the handling skills to play SF or the range for SF. and the kid has no defense... Skip this chump.
AUTOADVERT
kubie1084
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #19
USA
2/25/2002  2:30 PM
i said the same stuff about gooden, but the same day i wacthed him, i also watched the infamous timeout game with cwebb on espn classic and i noticed they are built in much the same way. I think that with a good conditioning and strengthening program gooden will fill out into a chris webber like form.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/25/2002  4:10 PM
From Insider:

Gooden in; Wagner out of NBA Draft?

For those of you who say it's still a little early to be thinking about the 2002 NBA Draft, tell that to the college players.

Two of the most highly sought underclassmen, Kansas junior Drew Gooden and Memphis freshman Dajuan Wagner, weighed in on their thinking about declaring for the upcoming draft this weekend.

"This could, probably will, be my last year. We don't know yet, so I don't take anything for granted," Gooden told the Lawrence Journal-World.

Gooden, a 6-foot-11 forward, would likely be a top 5 pick in the draft, several NBA scouts told Insider. While he's had a remarkable season, several scouts said that he still has holes in his game.

"I think the biggest question for him is position. He's a classic 'tweener'," one scout told Insider. "He's not strong enough to play a lot of minutes in the post and his shot and ball handling aren't where they need to be to play small forward in the league."

Another scout disagreed. "I think several years ago, that would be the label. But nowadays, position doesn't matter as much. He's a versatile, 7-footer, who can run the floor, play defense and has an array of defensive skills. I think he'll do really well."

Wagner, who flirted with the idea of coming straight to the NBA from high school, said he'll probably stick around at least one more season.

When asked whether the NBA was in his future this summer, he told the Memphis Commercial Appeal, "I don't think so. Right now, I think I'm gonna come back. I've still got a lot to learn."

Wagner, a 6-foot-3 combo guard, has struggled with his shot this season. However, no one questions his talent.

"First of all, in the end if he feels that is what is best for him [going pro], there will be no questions and there doesn't have to be any reasons," coach John Calipari said. "The bottom line is his comfort level. If Dajuan thinks he is ready for that lifestyle to take on the world as a man with no safety net, and if he's ready for a basketball life of 90 games . . . that's the decision he has to make."

Scouts say Wagner is also a lock for the lottery, but could go a lot higher if he stayed in school another year. "He's so explosive and does so many things with the ball," one scout told Insider. "If he stayed in school, he'd be better than [Duke's] Jason Williams by the end of sophomore season. He just needs more seasoning, especially if he wants to play point in the league. I think he'll really help his draft position if he stays another year."

Also:
Gooden good as gone? KU junior leaning toward NBA
Gary Bedore / Lawrence Journal-World
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy