Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/3/2005  2:54 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/37569.htm

NO 'D' IN KNICKS

By EVAN GROSSMAN

January 3, 2005 --
All the great Knick teams of the past — Ewing's Knicks, Sprewell's Knicks, even Willis Reed's Knick teams — relied on and were known for their team defense more than any other aspect of their game. For years, the Knicks and scrappy defense were synonymous and stopping the other team from scoring was their identity.

But such has not been the case this year, even as Lenny Wilkens has preached the importance of their play on the defense. So yesterday — the morning after Saturday's 93-87 Garden loss to the Nets — the Knicks decided the time had come to make defense the focal part of their game.

"Defensively, we're at a point where we have to make our mind up. We are going to make that our focus," co-captain Allan Houston said. "We have to commit to defense."

Houston was a vocal participant in yesterday's call to arms and said that defense once again needs to become a staple of New York Knicks basketball.

"Whatever you focus on, that's what you're going to gravitate to," Houston said. "I think right now, collectively, we have so much offensively that we tend to want to figure out how we can make all that work. I think what we have to do, everybody, is have to say look, let's start with defense, make that something that we're consistent in and then work around that.

"There has to be a little balance and I think that once we, as a team, understand that that's how we've won and played good and played well, when we understand that and really focus on that, then we'll be OK," he said. "I think yeah, it takes us, focus, and everybody to help us understand that, as far as captains and leaders on the team."

Houston is known for his jump shot and devastating range from the outside. But when he first joined the Knicks in 1996, he knew that one thing he needed to do was defend.

"I already knew that," Houston said. "You always watched the Knicks play, you always watched their style, even when you came here, you knew you saw it. So when I came here, I knew it was something I had to commit to and I had a lot to learn about technique and talking and playing a different style, but it's something I was willing to do because I wanted to get better.

"I think it has to come from your leadership. Not everybody is going to automatically say this is what I'm going to focus on. It has to come from everybody."

Yesterday, it did come from the leadership.

AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/3/2005  2:56 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/03/sports/basketball/03knicks.html

January 3, 2005
No Offense, but Houston Preaches Defense
By JASON DIAMOS

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Jan. 2 - After Stephon Marbury created a stir by asserting that he is the best point guard in the N.B.A., the Knicks' other co-captain chose Sunday to remind his teammates that they are not going anywhere unless they play better defense.

"Right now, collectively, we have so much offensively," Allan Houston said, one day after the Knicks lost to the Nets, 93-87, at Madison Square Garden. "I just said, 'Let's start with the defense and work around that.' When we understand that and focus on that, then we'll be O.K."

Ever since Pat Riley became the Knicks' coach for the 1991-92 season, a stifling defense has been a key to their success. By the time Houston signed with the Knicks as a free agent in the summer of 1996, Riley's disciple, Jeff Van Gundy, was the coach, and the philosophy that defense wins games was still the same.

"When I came here, it was something I knew I had to commit to," Houston said after practice. "I think it has to come from your leadership."

And that was why Houston spoke to his teammates, many of whom were not in the league when he joined the Knicks.

"I think we knew it," Houston said. "But some things have to just continue to be on your mind."

At 16-14, the Knicks still lead the Atlantic Division. But the 98 points a game they are allowing ranks 18th in the 30-team league. The Nets, by comparison, are fourth in team defense, allowing 92.1 points a game.

Although Marbury had a game-high 31 points and 8 assists Saturday, the Nets (11-18) were able to keep the other Knicks pretty much in check. The Nets are four and a half games out of first place in the division.

With their second-leading scorer, Jamal Crawford, out with a toe injury, the Knicks have relied heavily on Marbury, who became the first Knicks player to score 30 or more points in three consecutive games since Patrick Ewing in March 1997.

"He's had a great few games," Knicks Coach Lenny Wilkens said of Marbury. "But there were other people contributing, too."

Not enough of them, however, contributed offensively against the Nets.

"And our defense as a whole wasn't as good as I thought it should have been," Wilkens said.

The Knicks also need some production from Houston, who missed the first 18 games this season with sore knees, but who is starting again at shooting guard with Crawford out. Against the Nets, Houston scored only 8 points, shooting 3 for 8. Marbury rarely looked for Houston in the second half.

"It's only one game," Houston said. "I'm going to look for shots. That's what I'm here to do. But the bigger picture is to help us win games. And I'm not going to put everything into one game."

Houston did want to make a deal out the Knicks' commitment to defense.

"We're at a point where we have to make our minds up about defense," he said. "Are we going to make that our focus? I think we have to commit to defense."

REBOUNDS

Stephon Marbury said he spoke to Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president, on Saturday night regarding his assertion Friday that "I know I'm the best point guard in the N.B.A." Marbury said Thomas told him he was happy that Marbury said it. "It was a question asked," Marbury said. "I answered the question. That's the way I feel." When asked if he had been trying to prove a point against the Nets, whose point guard, Jason Kidd, is widely considered among the best in the league, Marbury said, "I don't got to prove nothing to no one."

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/3/2005  9:50 AM
all ball is now all talk...
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/3/2005  11:00 AM
At least he makes an effort for the most part. Everyone else doesn't even seem to care at times.

Again though, it will come in time, but if it doesn't, I say start to rebuild again.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
1/3/2005  12:57 PM
Marbury said something like this already games ago ...
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
1/3/2005  2:28 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

all ball is now all talk...

Good stuff...
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/3/2005  3:04 PM
gotta have patience. Also if we are going to move forward with this set of guards we need longer players up front. We ask Marbury and Crawford and Houston to do too much on D. They arent Payton, Bowen and Artest. If we had longer players up front, say like Swift at PF and Dalembert at center you can make it much easier on the guards. They can play up tight and force them to put the ball on the floor. When they do you push them baseline towards the shotblockers. Look at the good defensive teams like Det and SA. They play up tight. To do that you have to conceed a drive, but for those teams its not an issue. Those teams conceed the baseline, where a penetrating player can drive around their opponent and are met by Sheed, Big Ben, Duncan or Nesterovich.

Its a little different when you have slow footed or non-explosive players like KT, Nazr, Sweetney, JYD.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
1/3/2005  4:40 PM
hopefully they will. Us fans get on the extreme ends of the spectrum after a few games, which isn't good.
http://allknicks.com
Knicks to commit to defense?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy