[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Steph's point loud & clear : "I know im the beat point guard in the league"
Author Thread
NYKniCksFan87
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #700
1/1/2005  12:42 PM
Jason Kidd has taken two Nets teams to the NBA finals. Stephon Marbury hasn't taken anyone anywhere. But asked yesterday to compare himself to the Nets' point guard, Marbury took on the entire league.

"I know I'm the best point guard in the NBA," said Marbury, whose Knicks play the Nets at the Garden tonight. "I don't need nobody else to tell me that."

Marbury's claim came in response to questions about Kidd, to whom Marbury has been constantly compared since the Nets and Suns swapped the pair in July of 2001.

"The way he sees basketball and the way I see it, they're not the same things, so you can't compare us," Marbury said yesterday. "Don't get me wrong: I love Jason Kidd. Jason Kidd is a great point guard."

But when it comes to who's better, Marbury's mind is made up.

"How am I going to compare myself to him?" Marbury said. "How am I going to compare myself to him and not think I'm the best point guard to play basketball? That doesn't make any sense. How can I stand here and compare myself to somebody else if I already think I'm the best?"

As far as this season, Marbury may be right. He is averaging 20.2 points and 8.6 assists for the Atlantic-leading Knicks (16-13).

Kidd (8.3 points, 6.0 assists) is 12 games into his comeback from knee surgery and just getting accustomed to the new faces on the Nets (10-18), including just-acquired Vince Carter.

"I think right now, (Marbury), Steve Nash and Dwyane Wade are playing at an extremely high level," Nets forward Richard Jefferson said. "J-Kidd is still getting his feet underneath him."

But Kidd has a lot of history to fall back on, having led the the Nets to NBA Finals appearances in 2002 and 2003, and a sweep of Marbury's Knicks in the first round last season. Marbury, who has yet to win a playoff series, has a 4-14 postseason record.

What's more, the last two teams that traded Marbury have flourished since he left. Besides the Nets, who did not make the playoffs in Marbury's 2-1/2 seasons in Jersey, the Suns (25-4) have vastly improved since dealing Marbury to the Knicks last season.

The Knicks are nowhere near that level, but they are three games over .500 for the first time since April 2001, largely because of Marbury, who has scored 32 and 34 points in the last two games, victories over the Timberwolves and Magic.

"(Stephon's game) works with the Knicks," Penny Hardaway said, "because he's our guy. He's the man of the team. As he goes, we go."

One place Marbury may not be going - as a starter, anyway - is the All-Star Game, with Allen Iverson and LeBron James blocking his way at guard. Marbury said he isn't bothered by that.

"Like I said, I already know who I am in my mind," he said. "That's the most important thing."

I agree with marbury....wit zeke helpin him and marbury playing like a team leader, i think its marburys time to shine
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/1/2005  1:07 PM
I don't like this. Don't just call yourself the best player; let your performance on the court show that you are. Then, people will catch on and call you the best PG.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/1/2005  1:10 PM
I like this. I just hope he backs it up like he has been the last couple of games.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/1/2005  1:23 PM
I had already posted this on the other thread, so I'll post it again:

I would have liked to see Marbury show a little modesty, but I can't really argue.
If he keeps playing the way he has been recently, he IS the best point in the league.
As long as he keeps it up, I suppose it's justified.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/1/2005  1:29 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I don't like this. Don't just call yourself the best player; let your performance on the court show that you are. Then, people will catch on and call you the best PG.

What's he supposed to say? That Kidd is better than him? That would sound so gay. No player in any sport would say that another player is better than them. That is their peers......

For example....I think I'm the best poster on this board. I make the most sense and I'm right most of the time. This is true.
If I said......"Well Martin knows way more than me and he is the best poster on the internet next to Briggs. He would destroy me in a basketball debate"

That would be so g-a-y.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKniCksFan87
Member: #700
1/1/2005  1:36 PM
i agree wit enyspree, marbury has to say he's da best, cause what would da point be if he said im up their with the elite??
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/1/2005  1:42 PM
When Marbs is doing his thing and not bored to death trying to find KT a shot.....he is the best point guard.

It all depends on the players around these guys......Steve Nash to me has always been #3 behind Kidd and Marbs.....All of a sudden he's the best to the rest of the world cuz he's averaging 11 assists. Nash doesn't stop running and dribbling and the rest of his teamates are all natural scorers.

Kidd had Kitles, Martin and Dick to form the best fast break in basketball since showtime.

Marbs for instance would be perfect for San Antonio. Imagine that?

The Knicks are the next best thing. Knicks lack a bonified post threat and Timmy has been slow to produce......it will come.

Anyway you look at it, I want my players with a chip on their shoulders. This game is 90% mental.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
1/1/2005  2:15 PM
silverfuel i agree, i also like steph’s comments, it shows me a vote of confidence steph could display in tonight’s match up.... go get’m star !
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/1/2005  2:37 PM
and he has been doing it all year to the tune of 20 points and almost 10 assists.

I have a bunch of friends from Coney Island that have sworn by marbs since he left Georgia Tech.

So I started paying attention to his stats and he has always averaged these numbers.

When he was on the nets he was surrounded by garbage. I mean, Van Horn was good and all, but streaky to say the least, but marbs still averaged basically a 20/10 each year.

Starbury is the best point guard in the league.
all kool aid all the time.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/1/2005  3:59 PM
You never heard someone like Stockton call himself the best PG in the game. He simply KNEW he was and that was good enough. He'd verbally express modesty and probably say something like "Jason Kidd is a tremendous player and the game will be a challenge" while keeping his thoughts about being the best to himself
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
1/1/2005  4:05 PM
I don't know if I like this too much. I guess it is good to see confidence, and since he is playing extremely well I suppose it is justified. As long as he can back it up with wins and his play I don't mind. It's a very bold and tricky statement to make imo...
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/1/2005  4:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

You never heard someone like Stockton call himself the best PG in the game. He simply KNEW he was and that was good enough. He'd verbally express modesty and probably say something like "Jason Kidd is a tremendous player and the game will be a challenge" while keeping his thoughts about being the best to himself

Different players, different personalities. Patrick used to guarentee a championship every year. None of this stuff matters. Just beat the Nets tonight.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/1/2005  4:13 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Different players, different personalities. Patrick used to guarentee a championship every year. None of this stuff matters. Just beat the Nets tonight.

Exactly...Coney Island product playing for his favorite team in his favorite city. Modesty is made for stockton because he was NOT the best point guard in the league (Magic)...this time, however, Starbury is. 20 points 10 assists...who could ask for anything more?
all kool aid all the time.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
1/1/2005  4:56 PM
Marbury is supposed to say: "I don't think about that kind of stuff, I just go out there and play the game, you know work hard, always give 110 percent, leave it all on the floor."

If he's already the best, he has nothing to strive for. Anyway, the article in the Star Ledger says something really incorrect as far as I'm concerned:

"Marbury, 27, is enjoying what is shaping up to be a career season. He is averaging 20.2 points and 8.6 assists while shooting 45.5 percent from the field. And he has become more of a leader, who is improving the play of his teammates."

How is it a career season when he has had better scoring/rebounding/assist numbers in the past? Only his FG% and FT% are better than ever... but a couple of missed shots later, those two categories can both change.

If anything, Marbury is having about as typical a season as ever statistically-- all around he's right around his career averages.

He's had a hot stretch, true enough. You might even argue he was a better leader a few years ago when he led the Suns to the playoffs on two bad ankles...

IMHO, there's nothing revolutionary or unique about his game--- he's essentially like an extension of the Tim Hardaway/Isiah Thomas mold (not to say that's a bad thing).

Most of the other "scoring" PGs add a twist, like GP/Cassell have their post up games, Wade/Francis/BDiddy have their high flying athleticism... but Marbury's game is very straight-forward.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/1/2005  5:20 PM
tehcno - don't discount marbury's strength. he's probably the best finisher as a PG after contact is made with the defender. he's a bull and other PG's can't post him up.

he said what he said. so what? as long as the knicks keep winning, then i don't care if he's averaging 20 & 9 or 10 & 2. it's the total # of wins that determines how good a point guard is.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/1/2005  5:59 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

tehcno - don't discount marbury's strength. he's probably the best finisher as a PG after contact is made with the defender. he's a bull and other PG's can't post him up.

he said what he said. so what? as long as the knicks keep winning, then i don't care if he's averaging 20 & 9 or 10 & 2. it's the total # of wins that determines how good a point guard is.

You beat me too it. He doesn't have the hops of Steve Francis although he does get up. He doesn't pass like Kidd, but no one does. He is 6'2" and attacks the basket like AI but makes contact, absorbs it and still scores. Even when he makes solid contact no foul is called because he is that strong. Most of the other points except francis who dunks, (I wont include wade he is a 2) try to find some creative way of laying the ball in high off the glass and avoiding the contact.

I have always called his game the Power-point game. He goes in the lane like he is a big man or something. If Pippen is/was a point foward, Steph is a power-point. Period. He thinks he is the best and so do I, and by the season's end, so will most of everyone else. Starting tonight.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
1/1/2005  6:54 PM
All reasonable points... but IMHO there's nothing about Marbury that makes him stand way above the rest of the pack.

here are my top 10 PGs for the 2004-2005 season thus far:
1. Wade
2. Nash

The next four are pretty close: Marbury (#3 in assists), Arenas (healthy!), Francis, Iverson (top scorer, most FT att/gm)

The next tier includes:
Parker, Bibby, Billups, Tinsley

On the bubble:
Cassell (getting healthier), Andre Miller

Dwyane Wade probably stands at the top of the list if we count record, all-around game, and team winning % as our main criteria.

23.9ppg, 7.6apg, 5.6rpg, 49.8% FG (#2, behind Nash), 1.7spg, 1.1bpg (as a PG!). He average 10.0 FT att/gm, and only 16.3fg att/gm. His only weaknesses are his relatively high TOs (3.9) and no 3pt shooting (.3 att/gm).

Steve Nash has been outstanding, playing for the BEST team thus far... he's not scoring as much as many of the other top PGs, but he's the best in a number of categories:

15.9ppg, 10.9apg, 3.3rpg, 52.9% FG, 88.9% FT, 1spg. He's the #1 assist man, and is the best shooting PG in the game from the floor and among the best at the line. He's hugely efficient with only 11.4fg att/gm. Merely average as a defender but when your team kicks so much butt, who needs defense?...

Marbury, Arenas, and Francis are all in the same boat-- all great, franchise-type talents, but not quite as outstanding this year as the top-2. Marbury/Francis/Arenas's teams have virtually identical records.

Marbury in my mind ranks slight above the other two, mostly because there's nothing inherently flawed about his numbers--- he does what a PG is supposed to do, but nothing outstanding. Arenas has been doing a fabulous all-around job for the resurgent Wizards. However, he averages a relatively anemic 5.2apg for a PG. Francis is the top rebounding PG with 6.2rpg, but his 3pt shooting is weak, and he averages a relatively high number of TOs at 3.8 to/gm.

I'll leave the #6 spot to Iverson alone. Iverson's Sixers have hovered just under .500, but he's the top scorer in the league, and gets to the line more than any other PG-- he also shoots more than any other PG (23.3 att/gm!), and averages 4.4 TO/gm, worst among PGs and second in the league to Kobe Bryant!

Only Parker has the potential to challenge the top 6. He's the PG for one of the best teams in the NBA, and now that he's healthy, he's been putting up studly numbers over the past week or two. He also has a propensity to step up his game when he faces any of other top PGs...

There ya go.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
1/1/2005  7:04 PM
H was like "Isiah Thomas is a winner." "Kevin Garnett is a loser, I'm a loser, Jason Kidd is a loser. Just because you won a playoff series doesn't make you a winner" It's not the defenite quote, but very very similar. It was a fun 40 seconds to watch on the Knicks Game Night Pregame Show.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

1/1/2005  7:35 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Steph to me sounds like he's playing Rucker Ball and has to let all the fans KNOW.

Marbury, who has yet to win a playoff series, has a 4-14 postseason record NEEDS TO SHUT UP AND LET HIS PLAY HAVE WRITERS AROUND THE LEAGUE MAKE THOSE COMMENTS.

What's more, the last two teams that traded Marbury have flourished since he left.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
rojasmas
Member: #639
1/1/2005  8:40 PM
I agree. He hasn't done anything yet in terms of winning. Not even close. He is an outstanding player who has yet to master making others better or learning how to play defense.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Steph's point loud & clear : "I know im the beat point guard in the league"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy