[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I'm glad we didn't get Sheed!!
Author Thread
Travla
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #723
USA
12/31/2004  12:48 AM
I like Sheed as a player but his numbers have steadily gone down since the 2001 season where he averaged 19 and 8. I don't think he would have been much of a difference maker here. He's only averaging 13 and 7 since joining Detroit and he's only shooting 40% from the field including 28% from 3 point land. I know he's not the focus of their offense (he would'nt have been the focus of ours either) but for the kind of money he was seeking 13 and 7 doesn't get it done. I watch his body language and he doesn't seem to have his head in the game that much, doesn't have the "I wan't the ball" mentality.....just an observation. Anyone agree?? Disagree??

[Edited by - Travla on 12/31/2004 00:50:39]
https://www.youtube.com/user/RPreston01/videos
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/31/2004  10:35 AM
Posted by Travla:

I like Sheed as a player but his numbers have steadily gone down since the 2001 season where he averaged 19 and 8. I don't think he would have been much of a difference maker here. He's only averaging 13 and 7 since joining Detroit and he's only shooting 40% from the field including 28% from 3 point land. I know he's not the focus of their offense (he would'nt have been the focus of ours either) but for the kind of money he was seeking 13 and 7 doesn't get it done. I watch his body language and he doesn't seem to have his head in the game that much, doesn't have the "I wan't the ball" mentality.....just an observation. Anyone agree?? Disagree??

I can honestly say that Detroit has officially lost their way. I can't see them winning the championship this year. Last year things were clicking. They still remembered Rick Carlisle's coaching and it took them to new heights. Well now Brown has been implimenting his ideology into the Pistons and the results speak for themselves. Brown is half the coach Carlisle is. Last year Brown didn't want to ruin what Carlisle implemented and didn't want the players to forget his teachings well the players are forgetting what they were taught by Carlisle and its down hill from here on out.

For me the Olympics exposed Brown as a fraud. He is a decent coach at best.

Sheed is a wack job everyone knows it he is probably the most unselfish player on the court. But it is this lack of unselfishness that makes him selfish. The team needs him to score more and be a post presence.
rojasmas
Member: #639
12/31/2004  10:59 AM
I agree that Larry Brown is overrated. He won the championship last year and one in college yet is hailed as a Phil Jackson or Red Aurbach equal. Please! The Olympics did expose him. Chuck Daly showed how to run an Olympic team.
What I dislike about Brown most is when the team loses like last night, he immediately blames the players. When the team wins, he takes all the credit and is the master tactician who wins with an outmanned team due to his genius. You can't have it both ways.
Besides all of that, he doesn't always honor his contract which makes him more than selfish.
He is an egomaniac like so many coaches but his mellow speaking style let's him get away with seeming like the old professor who knows so much and we are all so lucky to be able to pick his fertile mind. I have had enough of his b.s.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/31/2004  11:23 AM
you can't blame Brown for the olympic losses- the players going aren't as well rounded as the original set of dream teamers- I think most here blamed the lack of an outside shooter for the shortcomings.

But, yea, Sheed got the ball last night, open, down the stretch and he launched a three! -should have driven to the basket- too many players fall in love with the 3pt line and hurt their team where either a step or two in, or drive to the basket would be better suited to the game.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/31/2004  2:17 PM
Larry Brown is a great coach. Not Hil, or Red, but a great coach. His love for teaching in legendary, and his "flakey" ways were just before its time. He just quit and moved on berore he was fired like many do these days.

What, since his team si not clicking he is not "the man?" The dude needs a vacation, he has not stopped working since last season, and he has had a new hip put in !

The olympic loss was not his fault. In fact, I think George Karl is now excused for the world championships loss given the team and the players who quit on him. He was blasted for that loss, and it did suck, but it was bigger than just him!

playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/31/2004  3:06 PM
Sheed is fine, what we are all seeing is the lack of chemistry with the pistons. Come may and june, nobody is gonna want to play the pistons.

The Pistons are truly missing Okur, James and Big Nasty.

Those guys played hungry last yr knowing they would get a big payday this season by moving on getting a new contract. Those 3 players pushed the starters to play with tenacity for 48 minutes.

To blame Larry Brown shows a lack of understanding basketball.

He had no shooters at the olympics that was obvious for team USA and the international game today is about outside shooting.

[Edited by - PLAYA2 on 12/31/2004 15:11:06]
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
franco12
Member: #599
USA
12/31/2004  6:02 PM
I think the thing that has hurt the pistons is the refs not allowing wing players to arm check the offensive player- Detroit did that a lot last year and this year they've gotten whistled for fouls
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/31/2004  6:08 PM
If Steph can get someone like Nazy good enough looks to get him to average 12.5 PPG, I bet Sheed would average 16 PPG on the Knicks.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
12/31/2004  8:00 PM
unbelievable! now that detroit is struggling we assume that wallace sucks and brown is an overrated coach. this tells me that some people have limited basketball knowledge. ask the pacers and clippers what coach they enjoyed their best years with. brown. he turned MANY teams into great, not good, but great teams. the clippers were laughingstocks until brown came and made them a dangerous playoff team. he actually made charles smith lok like a god player. he sure duped us. he tok philly to the finals with only iverson as the only superstar and a lot of decent role players. as far as wallace, he is playing within the limits of the team. this is, like many of larry brown's teams, a guard oriented team while solidiying the defense in the paint. he did that with the likes of smith/vaught, smit/davis boys, and mutumbo/ coleman. this team will turn it aroung after the all-star break IF brown's heart is still in it.
OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
1/1/2005  10:46 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Detroit is a playoff team and nobody on this board should doubt that either.

Sheed is a great player - playing a role in a system...he can be a star if you need him to be.

Larry Brown is tired - I think we all agree on that, but he is a great coach. The olympics and the brawl took their toll on him and he needs to rejuvinate.

I agree with Playa 100% on a couple points - they are missing Okur and the other key role players who were coming off the bench hungry. You lose a 7ft big man with skills and you replace him with McDyess? You are gonna feel that.

Also, come playoff time when this team is clicking on all cylenders and have built better chemistry they will be scary to play against - so just because they are struggling now doesnt mean anyone should write them off.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
1/1/2005  3:16 PM
Whatever!! By gettting Sheed , Detriot made it to the finals and won a ring.

Sheed's #'s have gone down because of the kind of sytem he's adapted too.

His role now is more defensive-minded than offense. The team offense is heavily incorporated via the lethal backcourt of Billups and Hamilton.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
rojasmas
Member: #639
1/1/2005  7:33 PM
Larry Brown had a say in picking the roster for the Olympic team, so he is just as much to blame as anyone for assembling a team that couldn't shoot straight. But when you can't shoot from the outside, shouldn't a great coach come up with a game plan that works. He did after all, still have the most talented team at the Olympics, thrown together or not, he should have been able to get that team to Gold.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
1/1/2005  10:15 PM
Posted by Travla:

Disagree, Sheed injured his elbow on his shooting arm. He is still a great defender, and a good option on the low post. As far as his numbers going down, he excels in the role that he has, and can still put up numbers if he needs to.
I'm glad we didn't get Sheed!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy