dalembert against the sonics
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
12/29/2004  3:34 AM
played 17min, got 8 rbds.

is there something that i dont know about that guy ? a dark secret or soimehting ?

otherwise, WHY THE HELL DOES HE ONLY PLAY 17 FREAKING MINUTES ?
AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/29/2004  4:18 AM
the same could be said for sweets and ariza... why not more minutes
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/29/2004  6:30 AM
problably because he was in serious foul trouble or he was hurting the offense
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/29/2004  7:22 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

So why do guys want him so bad? I think the center position is locked up with Nazr until the Knicks can find a real dominant center.

Dalembert is athletic but his skill level is about the same as Nazr......Nazr might be better. All Dalembert does a little better is blocking shots.

Leave Nazr alone.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
12/29/2004  8:21 AM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by gunsnewing:

So why do guys want him so bad? I think the center position is locked up with Nazr until the Knicks can find a real dominant center.

Dalembert is athletic but his skill level is about the same as Nazr......Nazr might be better. All Dalembert does a little better is blocking shots.

Leave Nazr alone.

i dont agree. nazr is goood, but dalembert could have an impact where we need the most : locking the lane.
we need more of that in the paint. nazr works hard and im happy to have him now. yet, i would take dalmebert ver him any day. i just dont see why obrien use him like that, that's all.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/29/2004  9:35 AM
I agree. Leave Nazr alone. He is a hard worker and has proven that he has the talent and heart to start for the Knicks. Maybe if he starts posing and screaming after each dunk he will be deemed untoachable by the fans. Go figure.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/29/2004  9:42 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:

I agree. Leave Nazr alone. He is a hard worker and has proven that he has the talent and heart to start for the Knicks. Maybe if he starts posing and screaming after each dunk he will be deemed untoachable by the fans. Go figure.

no...but if he starts blocking shots & preventing penetrators from getting easy layups, then yes, i'd consider him untouchable...Dalembert is that type of player...by the way, he also rebounds, runs the floor, is more athletic than Nazr, taller & younger...not sure how good he is at posing & screaming after dunks though...maybe i should look into that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/29/2004  9:44 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:

why do people think moving Nazr for a guy like Dalembert is a sign of disrespect? Its the other way around.

Every year since Ewing left Knick fans say the same thing...
Why cant *we* make a trade like Indy did for Jermaine Oneil
Why cant we get a guy like Ben Wallace
Why cant we get a guy like Brad Miller
Why cant we get a guy like Zach Randolph, or Theo Ratliff or any of these other bigmen who are major impact players and come up through the woodwork?

Maybe its because you dont want to trade Nazr?

Wake up people.. PLEASE. Dalembert's a season away from being a 23 year old Dikembe Mutumbo. But in a couple years when he's averaging 12/12 and 4 blocks a game will you still be excited about having a 30 year old Nazr?

Dalembert is in a different physical class than Nazr, its not about showmanship or any of that crap, plus Sam has shown he can play at a high level for an extended period of time. Not only would I trade Nazr for Dalembert, but I would take bad contract(s) back.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/29/2004  9:52 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by NYKBocker:

why do people think moving Nazr for a guy like Dalembert is a sign of disrespect? Its the other way around.

Why cant we get a guy like Zach Randolph, or Theo Ratliff or any of these other bigmen who are major impact players and come up through the woodwork?

Wake up people.. PLEASE. Dalembert's a season away from being a 23 year old Dikembe Mutumbo. But in a couple years when he's averaging 12/12 and 4 blocks a game will you still be excited about having a 30 year old Nazr?

Dalembert is in a different physical class than Nazr, its not about showmanship or any of that crap, plus Sam has shown he can play at a high level for an extended period of time. Not only would I trade Nazr for Dalembert, but I would take bad contract(s) back.
Agreed. Now (or this summer) is the perfect time to grab Dalembert--before he reaches his potential.
fishmike
USA
12/29/2004  9:59 AM
If its this summer I would offer Nazr and Moochie's (both expiring) + Houston's #2 for Dalembert and Ollie. Phili gets a reasonable bigman back and the lose Ollie's contract for an expiring deal. Then you offer Steven Hunter the full MLE or 5 years and your set at center for the next 5 years.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/29/2004  9:59 AM
Well Steph is gonna be thirty soon should we trade him now and try to get Devin Harris?

Dalembert is good but how do the Knicks get him via trade?

Also.....they Knicks need to get better at the 3-4 but the Knicks have Ariza and Sweetney so maybe the Knicks should just wait......

It's weird.

Still right now......leave Nazr alone until Dalembert can be had during the off-season.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
12/29/2004  10:00 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

Well Steph is gonna be thirty soon should we trade him now and try to get Devin Harris?

a better question would be do you trade Marbury now to get Dwayne Wade...i would w/o blinking.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
USA
12/29/2004  10:17 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by NYKBocker:

Jermaine O'Neal and Ben Wallace didn't do anything till they got to their present teams. They were given a chance and they produced. Nazr was a bench player with the Hawks. He came to the Knicks and he has done nothing but PRODUCE and get better. At first we said the guy can't score and that the only thing he can do is rebound. Then he starts racking double-doubles. Then we said he has no post game. Notice his moves in the post lately? Then we said his post defense is not good. His post defense is no longer a liability since he has learned how to front people due to his lack of strength to keep out BIG centers far from the post. We said he is not a good help defender. He started getting his blocks and steals. He just keeps getting better and better. If you ask me, he is our Ben Wallace. Our Jermaine O'Neal. We as a group tend to look so hard for the next big thing and miss out that maybe we already have that STUD big that we need.

You also used Randolph in your example. I think you compare that cat to Sweetney since both were drafted by their present teams.

Also, if Dalembert is so good, why can't he crack the starting lineup. Is Marc Jackson that much better? How about Kenny Thomas? He can't beat out a 6'7" PF? Hmmmm.

I don't know much about Dalembert and can only go by what is being said in this forum, but at the current state, I beleive it would be foolish to trade Nazr for Dalembert.

This season Nazr has improved dramatically in all aspects of his game and he looks like is getting better every week.

CARREER - NYK 04
7.2 - 12.3 PPG
5.7 - 9.4 RPG (2nd in the league for OR)
.479 - .528 FG%
.65 - 1.21 BPG
.61 - 1.18 SPG

NYKBocker
USA
12/29/2004  10:29 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by NYKBocker:

no...but if he starts blocking shots & preventing penetrators from getting easy layups, then yes, i'd consider him untouchable...Dalembert is that type of player...by the way, he also rebounds, runs the floor, is more athletic than Nazr, taller & younger...not sure how good he is at posing & screaming after dunks though...maybe i should look into that.

Nazr is beginning to block shots. As for penetrators getting easy layups, why don't we ask our guards (Marbury) to try to stop their man from getting in the lane.

Stats don't lie. Nazr is a much better rebounder.

OK. I'll take your word that is fills the lane, but who is going to get him the ball? Marbury is a half court player. HE doesn't push the ball up as much as people would think. This negates Dalemberts strength.

Taller? Yeah by an inch. Nazr is listed at 6'10" but he looks like he is taller. Compared to Okafor he looked like he is 2" taller. He looked like he has the same height as Dwight Howard. Dalembert is listed at 6'11".

Younger? Yes he is 4 years younger. Does that mean he is better?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/29/2004  10:31 AM
I would trade Nazr for Dalembert in a heart beat. I would love to keep Nazr out of any trades and get both of them...but if that's the price, I'm willing to make it.
Nazr has been unbelievable compared to what we all thought he would be, but in 4 more years (when Dalembert is as old as Nazr is now) Sammy has the chance to be so much better. He is that intimidator in the paint that we can groom.

If it's necessary to go by stats, it's only fair to mention Nazr's mpg went from 18.7 to 30.1
You also may want to take a look at Sammy's. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I love Nazr, and hell, I've been voting him for the allstar game, but after watching Dalembert, it's hard for me to prefer Nazr instead of him.
fishmike
USA
12/29/2004  10:34 AM
let me ask you this:
Is NAzr an impact player, and do you think he has potential to be an impact player? He's undersized and doesnt have a long wingspan. He's never going to be an intimidating shot blocker, or a guy that can keep small penetrating players out of the lane. His post moves are very good against bad players. Will he ever draw a double team?

Was Jermaine Oneil so bad he couldnt crack the rotation for 4 years? Was Sweetney able to beat out Harrington, Spoon or Kurt for minutes?
Ben Wallace was very good with the Magic before he went in the Grant Hill trade...

This is about doing something the Knicks NEVER do and will ALWAYS be mediocre if the dont have the ball to start doing. Thats trading guys when their value is peeking for guys when their value is low. When Phili mailed it in last year with their old coach (Ford?) they played Dalembert heavy minutes the last 20 games, where he averaged 12/13 and 4.5 blocks a game. If (when) he has another stretch like that this year consider him gone and untouchable, and another missed opportunity.

But at least we have Nazr who can give you 20/15 when he's playing the Hawks.

Nazr = good player, hard worker
Dalembert = potential star player, impact player can anchor a defense
fishmike
USA
12/29/2004  10:42 AM
Nazr isnt a shot blocker. Any blocks he gets are when other players are trying to put back offensive boards. When have you ever seen Nazr swat shots away when other players penetrate. Nazr is NOT a long player. Its not the inch in height, its the 6 inches in wingspan and quickness.

Has anyone checked our record? We are a .500 team and cant beat good teams.

This reminds me of when people didnt want to trade KT in the middle of his 14/9 season (playing center) because good forbid who would play center?

Imagine if we had gotten a draft pick for him and added Mickaël Pietrus, Caron Butler or Wilcox?

Unless your already #1 you HAVE to constantly look to get younger and bigger and better.

Please stop telling me Dalembert isnt worth it if you havent seen him play more than 20 minutes
TMS
USA
12/29/2004  10:55 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:
Nazr is beginning to block shots. As for penetrators getting easy layups, why don't we ask our guards (Marbury) to try to stop their man from getting in the lane.

good logic there...nevermind, what was i thinking? who needs a shotblocker/intimidator when you can ask your weak defending perimeter players to do a better job of guarding their men instead...that's a much more effective solution.
Stats don't lie. Nazr is a much better rebounder.

as a starting C this season, Nazr averages an entire 0.7 rebound more than Dalembert in 3 more minutes played...(btw, Sam averages over 1.3 blocked shot more than Nazr in 3 less minutes played as a starting C this season)

Nazr is in his 7th season in the league, while this is only Dalembert's 3rd year in the NBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3272

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3534
NYKBocker
USA
12/29/2004  11:17 AM
OK. We agree to diasagree. I like Nazr. I am loyal to a fault. Point well taken on not seeing Dalembert.

IF he gets traded to the Knicks by using NAzr. Fine. I will support him unless he starts acting like TT.

BUT. If I am IT, I use other players to get him rather than sending Nazr.
fishmike
USA
12/29/2004  11:28 AM
Nazr is nice... I'm THRILLED with the season he's having. I'm just trying to be future oriented and realistic. I'm very happy future wise with our wing players in Marb, Craw, Ariza, Houston and even TT (if nothing else his contract next year is an asset). We get good production from the center spot, but it often doesnt change the game. We MUST get younger and LONGER up front. Look at the Washington game where Brandon Haywood was having his way with Nazr. None of our frontcourt guys force the opposition to change their shots.
dalembert against the sonics

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy