[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

One guy that should be back on the radar for next year
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/21/2004  10:53 PM
is Eddie Griffin. Dont know if coming here would be a good thing or a bad thing but his length, size and skills could really help us. I think he's a legit shot with the MLE
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/21/2004  10:55 PM
Where is he? What's the story on him lately?
Knicks_Fan
fishmike
USA
12/21/2004  10:57 PM
he's playing GREAT ball for the Wolves. I have seen him play 3-4 times this year and he's been solid. He plays a few different positions and has really become a solid player on both ends of the court. He's not as nasty as Camby became after playing under JVG, but he reminds me of a Toronto Camby with a smoother offensive game. Plays above the rim. He's from around here also... Maybe Camden/Phili area and he went to Setan Hall
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
12/21/2004  11:26 PM
i thought you were going to say Phil Jax should be back on the radar
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
12/22/2004  12:37 AM
Griffin has a great PER (http://www.knickerblogger.net/) and has good shotblocking skills...

He's TT, but hustles, rebounds and plays D.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/22/2004  10:28 AM
the thing is, he passed us up once already and he will get MLE offers from alot of teams if he keeps this up.
fishmike
USA
12/22/2004  10:39 AM
I dont think he was ready to play when he passed on us the first time. Actually I know he wasnt because the Nets signed and then released him. The Knicks were also in a state of roster turnover. At least now there are some pieces in place and Griffin is a guy that could really benefit from playing with Marbury. I also thinking signing with the Knicks would be a good financial move. If you play well your probably going to get an extension above market value.

Look.. he's not a savior and I think the MLE range is very fair with his history. In the east he could really play all 3 frontcourt positions, and he's bulked up significantly over the last couple years.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/22/2004  10:44 AM
if we give him the MLE, what happens to ariza?

i like griffin. i think we need him. but i also think he has benefitted playing with KG. i think minny will try their hardest to move spree, cassell, and/or wally so they can re-sign him. we'll see how it all plays out as the season goes along.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/22/2004  12:19 PM
too many off the court issues to waste the MLE on him imho...there will be other more sound options available that will fill the same role as Griffin will...if you could get him w/a portion of the MLE & sign another role player w/the other portion, then i'm all for it...but we have to be smart w/how we use the MLE.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
12/22/2004  12:34 PM
he's just one option. My first is Steven Hunter but I'm unsure if Pho has an option on him. I dont think they do, Briggs thinks they have one... not sure.

I think the best thing for Ariza is to use the LLE. If you sign him for 2 years with that like we did Doleac we will have his Bird rights when his contract expires.
TMS
USA
12/22/2004  2:03 PM
agreed...the LLE for Ariza should be more than enough...then we save the MLE for someone like a Steven Hunter like you said...

i would first offer Dalembert the full MLE & take a chance on PHI not re-signing him...even though they'd likely match any offer like that, the assurance of getting more playing time & also returning to the NY/NJ area where he went to college might be appealing to him...

or you could try for Stromile, but he'll likely command more than the MLE as well.

Mikki Moore might even be a decent alternative option...he's like a poorman's Marcus Camby...probably could get him for alot cheaper than any of the other choices too.

other options aren't a great fit considering our desire to get younger, but still serviceable:
Cliff Robinson, Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, Jahidi White, Kevin Willis
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
12/22/2004  2:16 PM
I only want upgrades or guy that realyl give us something we dont have. With the exception of Sweetney we have a frontcourt full of stop gap players. I want two new guys next year. I want a MLE player like Hunter or Griffin, and I want to work out a sign and trade for guy of Dalembert, Kwame, Chandler or Curry's potential. Use Nazr (isnt that why we got him?) some combo of expiring players in Moochie/Baker and cash to get us a young post player we can move forward with. You still have KT, JYD and Sweetney to put around them.

Can you imagine this team if we could add Hunter and Dalembert?
TMS
USA
12/22/2004  2:49 PM
it's going to be hard to get someone like Dalembert, but Isiah needs to rack his brain & come up w/something...we need a young guy to anchor the C position who can block shots & run the floor, & be an intimidator...if only Nazr could play like he did against the Nets every game.
fishmike
USA
12/22/2004  4:08 PM
if only the Knicks could play the Nets everynight. Unfortunatly there are teams like Dallas and Detroit out there
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/22/2004  4:53 PM
Are we bailing on this season already?

We stil got the trade dealine until February! Come on, Isiah can take the payroll to 150mil! we can still make trades, lots of trades, some good, some silly, but I want the buzz to continue, I love the buzz, I NEED THE BUZZ!

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/22/2004  5:36 PM
Posted by fishmike:

he's just one option. My first is Steven Hunter but I'm unsure if Pho has an option on him. I dont think they do, Briggs thinks they have one... not sure.

I think the best thing for Ariza is to use the LLE. If you sign him for 2 years with that like we did Doleac we will have his Bird rights when his contract expires.
I'm hoping we can re-sign Trevor for the LLE but I don't know how realistic that is. You don't think even one of the thirty teams would be willing to give him more than an LLE contract?
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
12/22/2004  6:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

I'm hoping we can re-sign Trevor for the LLE but I don't know how realistic that is. You don't think even one of the thirty teams would be willing to give him more than an LLE contract?
very possible, but i doubt it would be that much more. also he'd have to wait an extra year w/another team to make nba money. i'm sure zeke will make the fact known that w/his bird rights in 2yrs he'll extend him for real money alot sooner. besides, in ny he can easily earn a starting role when he overthrows tt.(and he will)
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/22/2004  6:20 PM
i think its best for eddie griffin to stay right where he is. they have pretty good cap space coming open, enough for them to give him 4-5 mm per, and i highly doubt someone will go above it. i dont want him on our team, NY is not a good place for him

Im pretty sure that ariza has a 2nd year option and one of the CBB arguements will be to change the deal that is in palce regarding your own 2nd round fa--i.e what could be named the arenas or boozer rule:>) we dont have to worry about ariza, hell be a knick or in a package for areal good player, but he sure isnt walking--hes not valaubale enough yet for a team to fork over the all mighty big bucks. He hasnt even been proven a core rotation player yet. he'll be no problem
RIP Crushalot😞
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/22/2004  6:54 PM
Posted by fishmike:

No way Ariza doesn't get offered more than just LLE money from some other team. I just can't believe that.
One guy that should be back on the radar for next year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy