[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Stand up, with pride, and open your window and proclaim: "I am curiously buzzed, and proud of it!"
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/21/2004  5:04 PM

Chad points out the "curious buzz" surrounding the fans attention to the team.

are we just blindly happy that Layden is gone?

Or should we setting the bar higher! And if so, are we "curiously blinded" by Isiahs starlight?

Not Isiah hating, but given the 21% higher payroll than the no. 2 team, are we loading up the credit card with short term buzz? Or doomed to mediacrity (as a Pretender-contender mind you) as we have been for so long (1990's teams)!

When the Nets get to brooklyn, and if they win a title there before the Knicks, I hate to think that the Nets, not the Knicks will own the city! Younger and more athletic won't cut it then!
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/21/2004  5:20 PM
I'm buzzed.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
12/21/2004  5:22 PM
Well, what do you expect this year? I know you don't expect a trophy this season. It's no secret this team isn't a contender yet. I think most people are excited about the Knicks taking a step in a positive direction. I guess if you feel like we've made all the progress we are going to make then you won't be too excited (nor should you be). If you feel like this season is part of a bigger picture then you are probably beginning to be high on the Knicks again.

I think a lot of us fans are banking on Sweetney breaking out next season. There's also some intrigue regarding the expiring deals we have coming up. Will Ariza be more seasoned and ready to perform in his sophomore season? How much better will Crawford be?

Ultimately, no one knows what other roads we could have taken. Until we get to the final destination how can we truly judge? Just because Isiah has been doing things his way and not the way all the media pundits think it should be done - he gets panned. So he's taking on lots of salary. How does that differ from where we were? Show me a scenario where we would have purged ourselves of all the contracts and suddenly been flexible. I don't think it was going to happen unless we just stayed put until 2006/7. That could have worked too. Or it could have failed.

So yes, I'm "curiously buzzed". I'm curious to see the team play every night because sometimes there's some seriously exciting play to be buzzed about. I'm not curious as to why I'm buzzing - it's plain to see we're better and I can hardly find a reason to complain about it.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
12/21/2004  5:30 PM
I still say it goes back to your sadness that Layden is gone. Has to be. Anything else would have to be considered delusional.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
12/21/2004  5:41 PM
I dont think we are just happy that layden is gone. I am not blindly loving Zeke. He just hasnt made a move that I dont like yet. I would've criticized a trade for Vince. I want a PF/C and I hope Zeke gets him. If he doesnt, I would criticize him.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Nalod
USA
12/21/2004  5:47 PM
Posted by eViL:

Well, what do you expect this year? I know you don't expect a trophy this season. It's no secret this team isn't a contender yet. I think most people are excited about the Knicks taking a step in a positive direction. I guess if you feel like we've made all the progress we are going to make then you won't be too excited (nor should you be). If you feel like this season is part of a bigger picture then you are probably beginning to be high on the Knicks again.

I think a lot of us fans are banking on Sweetney breaking out next season. There's also some intrigue regarding the expiring deals we have coming up. Will Ariza be more seasoned and ready to perform in his sophomore season? How much better will Crawford be?

Ultimately, no one knows what other roads we could have taken. Until we get to the final destination how can we truly judge? Just because Isiah has been doing things his way and not the way all the media pundits think it should be done - he gets panned. So he's taking on lots of salary. How does that differ from where we were? Show me a scenario where we would have purged ourselves of all the contracts and suddenly been flexible. I don't think it was going to happen unless we just stayed put until 2006/7. That could have worked too. Or it could have failed.

So yes, I'm "curiously buzzed". I'm curious to see the team play every night because sometimes there's some seriously exciting play to be buzzed about. I'm not curious as to why I'm buzzing - it's plain to see we're better and I can hardly find a reason to complain about it.

I bought a league pass this year, and have tried to watch as many games as I can. I am buzzed! I want to believe there is a future.

I think Briggs said a long time ago you either deliver a championship, or hope.

I do understand the media, like many fans are suspicious after many failed empty results that once the buzz wore off, you realize in the end use was jus Starphuched once again. I am in the minority that the ewing era was filled with false promise. The buzz was mighty as was the instant gradification of roster sacrifices to maintain the buzz which is actually profits for Cablevision.

I am long time suffering fan, damaged to the extent I can't fully buy in until the rookies actually make it further and not just as trade fodder to satisfy the moment. With Trev and Sweets its getting better, but the question remains will impatiance rule the roost.
Nalod
USA
12/21/2004  5:49 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

I still say it goes back to your sadness that Layden is gone. Has to be. Anything else would have to be considered delusional.

The buzz in you is that(bah hum) bug up your keister!

[Edited by - nalod on 12/21/2004 17:56:27]
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/21/2004  6:20 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I bought a league pass this year, and have tried to watch as many games as I can.

League pass worth it?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
Member: #520
12/21/2004  6:37 PM
Well I, for one, am buzzed that we have a GM that at least *tries*
to make intelligent moves rather that just doing whatever comes his
way. Layden seemed to make one blunder after another.
From the trade of Ewing for Rice, Knight, and Longley who then
became Shandum and Eisley, to the signing of Spoon. Etc, etc. etc.
But I don't have to repeat that here.
My point is he had NO VISION. Just reacted desperately.
At least now we feel we are on a path to greater things with Isiah.
That better times are ahead. Instead of a downward spiral (with
a boring azz team on the floor).

Does it have me buzzing that I can watch a good game and look forward
to better in the future (whether that's true or not, at least I can
hope now)? You bet it does.
Panos
Member: #520
12/21/2004  7:01 PM
Check out this blast from the past: August 11, 2001
This was what we dealt with from Layden.

Funny thing about the Knicks. While the rest of the NBA (OK, not Paul Allen) runs away from the noxious payroll tax, the Knicks use a steam shovel to get deeper.

Jeff Van Gundy will have his work cut out for him in years to come.
Glen Rice and Muggsy Bogues for Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley is only the latest case in point, leaving the team payroll at $82.37 million for next season, but hiking it to $88 million in 2002-03 and $89.2 million in 2003-04. We're talking an estimated $65 to $70 million in payroll taxes here. Why, that's enough to fund the budgets for how many towns? How many school boards?

The problem isn't simply the Dolans, who run the team; or Scott Layden, the general manager who pulled the trigger; or Jeff Van Gundy, who is charged with putting the pieces together.

The problem is the desperate need for perception in a city where four newspapers go to war every day and sports talk radio runs from vile to vindictive.

The problem is the highest ticket prices in the league and the hunger for cable TV dollars made even more acute by the failure of the NHL's Rangers and the simple fact that the cable company owns the team.

The problem is expectation. The Knicks can't miss the playoffs. Fear of the lottery drives excessive spending for minor talents. Lottery phobia and the woes of the Rangers drove Dave Checketts out of Madison Square Garden. However, word is he did a terrific job with MSG's Radio City Rockettes.

But who's to say if Checketts had not been broomed, he doesn't do this deal. He was already in deep conversation with Houston for the contract that made the team's top scorer the highest-paid shooting guard in the league while arguably the sixth-best talent behind Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady and Reggie Miller. Would Checketts have sanctioned $27 million to Clarence Weatherspoon? Let's hope not.

The Knicks aren't afraid to spend. Instead, they are afraid not to spend. It gives them status, as if Woody Allen and Jerry Seinfeld aren't going to come watch an act that makes less money than they do.

Look at this trade.

The Knicks had gotten Rice from the Lakers to do a job he wasn't equipped to handle. Rice wilted in the hot lights on Broadway. Crushed by the weight of expectation, he is shunted off to Houston. Texas, that is. Muggsy Bogues, a broken down throw-in, goes to Dallas. In return, the Knicks pick up $77 million in salaries through 2007 (they owed Rice and Bogues a combined $30 million).

Layden complicated the point guard situation for Van Gundy by making Eisley the third wheel with virtually unswappable Charlie Ward and Mark Jackson. Anderson gets leftover minutes from Latrell Sprewell at small forward and Mr. Big Budget Houston at shooting guard. Sprewell played 39.2 minutes a night last season, Houston 36.6.

Are Anderson and Eisley going to step up in New York? Doubtful.

Anderson is a slasher, not a shooter -- and the new defensive rules mitigate against him. Eisley is a career sub-40 percent shooter in the playoffs. He became expendable in Dallas when he shot .358 in postseason last spring. While teams such as the Hawks stayed clear of Eisley because he makes $7 million in 2005-06 when he turns 35, the Knicks shrugged. They see him as an improvement on Jackson and Ward, but there is no market for Jackson, who will be 35 in April, and Ward, who offended the Jewish population in New York with fundamentalist Christian doctrine.

The truth is the Knicks have a terrific bench. But they have only average starters and they are basically cap dead forever because the rules have changed and they're on a treadmill.

The Knicks even found a rabbi who agreed to rehabilitate Ward. After counseling, the rabbi pronounced Ward free of bias. Still, the Knicks aren't in love with Ward the player. The stir in New York had Ward going to the Warriors for Adonal Foyle, but the Warriors said they don't want him. In fact, GM Garry St. Jean told the San Francisco Chronicle he hasn't talked to the Knicks about Ward for Foyle. On top of that, Foyle is a base year compensation player and Ward has a 15 percent trade kicker.

Maybe the Warriors are wise to Ward's game as well as his prejudices. Imagine selling Ward to the gay and lesbian population of the Bay Area?

So, these are your Knicks:

Larry Johnson ($11.3 million this season), with terrible back problems, has a contract that goes on and on.

Luc Longley says his ankle is bad and he doesn't want to play anymore, but the Knicks owe him more than $20 million and he does want to be paid.

Sprewell, who is the Knicks' best player, believes he is working out of position and wants to be the starting big guard, but the Knicks only owe Spree $50 million over the next four years. But they are into Houston at triple digits through his 36th birthday.

Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington, scraps from Johnson ... Travis Knight? Please.

The truth is the Knicks have a terrific bench. But they have only average starters and they are basically cap dead forever because the rules have changed and they're on a treadmill.

Used to be in the NBA, you could trade away your financial excesses. So, when Stan Kasten gave Steve Smith $50 million in Atlanta he warned his newly-rich guard that he would not finish his career with the Hawks. Simply, they did not want to be stuck with a faded talent who was a cap burden late in his career. In Portland, Smith eventually became a bench player. The Blazers got lucky when Derek Anderson pushed San Antonio into a corner and forced the Spurs to take Smith in a deal.

Who is going to help the Knicks? They need a pocketful of miracles.

Jeffrey Denberg, who covers the NBA for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, is a regular contributor to ESPN.com.

TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
12/21/2004  7:24 PM
Posted by Panos:

Check out this blast from the past: August 11, 2001
This was what we dealt with from Layden.

Funny thing about the Knicks. While the rest of the NBA (OK, not Paul Allen) runs away from the noxious payroll tax, the Knicks use a steam shovel to get deeper.

Jeff Van Gundy will have his work cut out for him in years to come.
Glen Rice and Muggsy Bogues for Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley is only the latest case in point, leaving the team payroll at $82.37 million for next season, but hiking it to $88 million in 2002-03 and $89.2 million in 2003-04. We're talking an estimated $65 to $70 million in payroll taxes here. Why, that's enough to fund the budgets for how many towns? How many school boards?

The problem isn't simply the Dolans, who run the team; or Scott Layden, the general manager who pulled the trigger; or Jeff Van Gundy, who is charged with putting the pieces together.

The problem is the desperate need for perception in a city where four newspapers go to war every day and sports talk radio runs from vile to vindictive.

The problem is the highest ticket prices in the league and the hunger for cable TV dollars made even more acute by the failure of the NHL's Rangers and the simple fact that the cable company owns the team.

The problem is expectation. The Knicks can't miss the playoffs. Fear of the lottery drives excessive spending for minor talents. Lottery phobia and the woes of the Rangers drove Dave Checketts out of Madison Square Garden. However, word is he did a terrific job with MSG's Radio City Rockettes.

But who's to say if Checketts had not been broomed, he doesn't do this deal. He was already in deep conversation with Houston for the contract that made the team's top scorer the highest-paid shooting guard in the league while arguably the sixth-best talent behind Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady and Reggie Miller. Would Checketts have sanctioned $27 million to Clarence Weatherspoon? Let's hope not.

The Knicks aren't afraid to spend. Instead, they are afraid not to spend. It gives them status, as if Woody Allen and Jerry Seinfeld aren't going to come watch an act that makes less money than they do.

Look at this trade.

The Knicks had gotten Rice from the Lakers to do a job he wasn't equipped to handle. Rice wilted in the hot lights on Broadway. Crushed by the weight of expectation, he is shunted off to Houston. Texas, that is. Muggsy Bogues, a broken down throw-in, goes to Dallas. In return, the Knicks pick up $77 million in salaries through 2007 (they owed Rice and Bogues a combined $30 million).

Layden complicated the point guard situation for Van Gundy by making Eisley the third wheel with virtually unswappable Charlie Ward and Mark Jackson. Anderson gets leftover minutes from Latrell Sprewell at small forward and Mr. Big Budget Houston at shooting guard. Sprewell played 39.2 minutes a night last season, Houston 36.6.

Are Anderson and Eisley going to step up in New York? Doubtful.

Anderson is a slasher, not a shooter -- and the new defensive rules mitigate against him. Eisley is a career sub-40 percent shooter in the playoffs. He became expendable in Dallas when he shot .358 in postseason last spring. While teams such as the Hawks stayed clear of Eisley because he makes $7 million in 2005-06 when he turns 35, the Knicks shrugged. They see him as an improvement on Jackson and Ward, but there is no market for Jackson, who will be 35 in April, and Ward, who offended the Jewish population in New York with fundamentalist Christian doctrine.

The Knicks even found a rabbi who agreed to rehabilitate Ward. After counseling, the rabbi pronounced Ward free of bias. Still, the Knicks aren't in love with Ward the player. The stir in New York had Ward going to the Warriors for Adonal Foyle, but the Warriors said they don't want him. In fact, GM Garry St. Jean told the San Francisco Chronicle he hasn't talked to the Knicks about Ward for Foyle. On top of that, Foyle is a base year compensation player and Ward has a 15 percent trade kicker.

Maybe the Warriors are wise to Ward's game as well as his prejudices. Imagine selling Ward to the gay and lesbian population of the Bay Area?

So, these are your Knicks:

Larry Johnson ($11.3 million this season), with terrible back problems, has a contract that goes on and on.

Luc Longley says his ankle is bad and he doesn't want to play anymore, but the Knicks owe him more than $20 million and he does want to be paid.

Sprewell, who is the Knicks' best player, believes he is working out of position and wants to be the starting big guard, but the Knicks only owe Spree $50 million over the next four years. But they are into Houston at triple digits through his 36th birthday.

Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington, scraps from Johnson ... Travis Knight? Please.

Used to be in the NBA, you could trade away your financial excesses. So, when Stan Kasten gave Steve Smith $50 million in Atlanta he warned his newly-rich guard that he would not finish his career with the Hawks. Simply, they did not want to be stuck with a faded talent who was a cap burden late in his career. In Portland, Smith eventually became a bench player. The Blazers got lucky when Derek Anderson pushed San Antonio into a corner and forced the Spurs to take Smith in a deal.

Who is going to help the Knicks? They need a pocketful of miracles.

Jeffrey Denberg, who covers the NBA for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, is a regular contributor to ESPN.com.

Good article.

And I'll say it again.....anyone questioning where we are now compared to where we were then either just misses the Scott Layden era or is delusional.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Nalod
USA
12/21/2004  10:02 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Nalod:

I bought a league pass this year, and have tried to watch as many games as I can.

League pass worth it?

Only way I can get Knick games unless they on Nationally!

Worth it, not tonite!
Nalod
USA
12/21/2004  10:09 PM
Theo,

I don't think anyone really is thinking that way. Your looking for an argument and there is none.

Its just that Knick fans have a good buzz going, and the Chad thinks otherwise. And If you can't look at a payroll that is 21% higher than the next closest, and the facts that surround this team, maybe the buzz is not warranted? As a fan, Its a conversation of objectivity.

After tonite, it is more valid. This team is better, but not good. And if you measure it by payroll ALONE, its a flat out joke! Its not at whose fault anymore, it just is.
Stand up, with pride, and open your window and proclaim: "I am curiously buzzed, and proud of it!"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy