[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Houston should remain a backup
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/21/2004  12:34 PM
Only because he can be a leader for the 2nd unit. He brings consistancy which is needed when the 2nd unit comes on the floor. Crawford isn't that yet. Marbury can control Crawford for the most part. Plus there the future so they need all the playing time together as they can get now. Houston can have the offense run threw him with the 2nd unit and provide dependability and leadership and court savy. Norris, Houston, Ariza, JYD, Sweetney. Hardaway should get playing time at PG when he comes back. If Crawford was more of a create for everyone type then he would work well with the 2nd unit but that isn't him.

Plus Harpring hit us with reality that Houston doesn't have the strength to guard SFs.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
12/21/2004  1:28 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Plus Harpring hit us with reality that Houston doesn't have the strength to guard SFs.
You did not need to see him guard Harpring. You could've seen him try and guard an offensive 2 guard if you wanted reality!

IMO, Houston should start at SG and bring Crawford off the bench. This way, you can play Crawford at the 1 or the 2 and still have Stephon or Houston on the floor at the same time. Houston needs to be paired with a guy that can dribble and penetrate.

He cannot do it alone with his jump shooting. He can score his 20 points but we will lose games as you saw for the two years before Marbury. Keep Houston in the starting lineup and pair him with Craw or Marbury each time he is on he floor. Either that or bring him on with everyone's hero Sweetney. If Sweetney can keep up his game in the post, Houston can get some open looks.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/21/2004  2:07 PM
I am stalking Silver around from thread to thread disaggreeing with him.

I like Houston off the bench. Jamal needs room to grow IMHO, and is definitely in that spot of his career where more minutes is the key. And by more minutes, I am mean more minutes that matter - like at the end of the game.

You can be assured that not boxing out or taking a bad shot at the end of the games haunts his every night, and rightfully so, but he IS learning from them. With Houston taking those kinds of minutes (when he is ready), the Knicks may win a few more games, but so what? Been there, done that with Houston. He IS a valuable asset, but in the long run, he is not going to add value to the growth of the team by consuming starter minutes away from Jamal.

Also, by limiting Houston’s minutes, he may last until the end of his contract. Bringing him off the bench does give the second unit a primary scoring focus, which helps the other young guys around him, particularly Sweets in the post (spreading the floor) and Ariza (spreading the floor for a slasher/dunker).

Jamal has to learn that the game is played hard every minute of every game. No taking a second off on either the defensive end of the offensive end. His defensive effort late against Detroit and Rip was nice, but how about the first 40 minutes?

I like Jamal playing with Marb as a starter with Houston first off the bench to replace either of them.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
12/21/2004  3:06 PM
I think Jamal can get those important minutes at the end of games even if he comes off the bench. What he does by comming of the bench is give the second team a ball handler. You have already said that you dont think he can setup players well. He can try and setup people when he comes in for Marbury and score when he comes in for H2O. My problem here is more with Houston than with Crawford. Crawford will work well wherever you put him. As you say, his growth will be quicker as a starter than as a bench player.

Houston however might not be effective off the bench. IMO he will only be effective as a starting SG. And by effective I mean scoring 16-17 points every game. You think I want to see Houston in the starting lineup? No way. That would mean a better player would be coming off the bench. Also, a developing player would not get his time to learn like you said. But then what will we do with Houston?

Do you think he will be effective coming off the bench? He played 27 minutes off the bench in the philly game and had 15 points which included that 3 pointer for the last 30 seconds that he did play! The game where he scored 17 points, he shot 60% from FG! How many times can he do that? Not many, considering his career FG% is 44.5 and he needs a lotta shots to score.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/21/2004  3:37 PM
I think Houston can be effective off the bench- and wear and tear is a consideration. I've got to imagine it might not be till mid to late jan that Houston is in the kinda shape that warrents looking at inserting him back into the starting rotation.

And if you're going to make any changes to the starting five, how about starting with Tiny Tim?
Houston should remain a backup

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy