[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

it WASN'T lenny's fault (detroit game)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/18/2004  10:41 AM
NO TIME TO LOSE: Two Knicks confirmed that Lenny Wilkens instructed the players to call time out on Wednesday regardless of whether the Pistons scored on their second to last possession. As it turned out, Richard Hamilton's jumper with 28.7 seconds remaining cut the Knicks' lead to one but the players never called for time.

The possession ended with Crawford taking a bad shot that led to a fast break for Chauncey Billups and eventually the decisive free throws.

"Coach is taking a lot of heat for that," Marbury said. "I'm basically the coach on the floor and I made the decision to give Jamal the ball and let Jamal make that decision. So if anybody should be getting (heat) it should be me. Coach wanted to call time out but he has confidence in us."
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/18/2004  10:43 AM
yeah, I saw that... here is the link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/263202p-225350c.html
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/18/2004  10:44 AM
Well, if thats how it went, I'm glad someone stepped up and said it.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/18/2004  10:45 AM
well let's see....who's being payed millions to coach this team? Lenny Wilkens is. I would trust the 60+ year old anyday over Marbury
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
12/18/2004  10:48 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

"I'm basically the coach on the floor and I made the decision to give Jamal the ball and let Jamal make that decision.

So if anybody should be getting (heat) it should be me. Coach wanted to call time out but he has confidence in us."
Sounds like a leader to me. Marbury seems to be evolving right in front of us. Last night was more proof.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Silverfuel
USA
12/18/2004  10:50 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

well let's see....who's being payed millions to coach this team? Lenny Wilkens is. I would trust the 60+ year old anyday over Marbury
So maybe you should trust the 60+ year old man's instinct to let Marbury be the coach on the floor. Maybe that game wasn't any ONE person's fault but everyone's fault.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/18/2004  11:01 AM
but just like this win was everybody's fault.. jyd, ariza, sweetney, moochie.. it took a great game from Marbury to make the win possible.

It took Jamal Crawford to make the Piston lost possible
Silverfuel
USA
12/18/2004  11:05 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

It took Jamal Crawford to make the Piston lost possible
No man, it took bad defense to lose to Detroit and good defense to beat Philly.

The same reason we beat Philly is the same reason we lost to Detroit. If you want to just focus on the last few seconds then you are making a big mistake.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/18/2004  11:18 AM
more from Marc Berman:

www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/36683.htm

In the Pistons' loss Wednesday, Crawford wore the goat horns for jacking up an ill-advised shot with 6.9 seconds left and the Knicks up one that led to Detroit's winning points.

Marbury said he was at fault, not Crawford, not Lenny Wilkens for not calling timeout.

Marbury admitted Crawford erred and should've driven the ball, but believes the club will be better for it in the long run.

"Everyone has to understand where he's coming from," Marbury said. "He's never been on a winning team. He's always trying to find ways to win. We put him in a tough situation to make a decision like that. Did he make a good decision? No. He could've done a whole bunch of different things. But he had it going. He was hitting his jump shot. If that shot goes down, it's a great shot."

Wilkens was criticized in some circles for not calling timeout with 28 seconds left when they got possession.

"It starts in my hands," Marbury said. "I'm basically the coach on the court. I made the decision to basically give Jamal the ball and let Jamal make that decision. If anyone should be getting [heat], it should be me. Coach, he wanted to call time, but he has confidence in us. That's one thing we love about him, to let us play and let us make decisions.

Marbury added, "We decided to go with it. I put all my confidence in Jamal. I could have easily gone and gotten the ball. He didn't make a good decision. He knows that. He knows he should've went to the basket. But if he doesn't learn and grow from it, then we're basically keeping him where he was at before."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/18/2004  11:23 AM
yep, read the article too, turns out is was Steph's fault... though I don't completely absolve Lenny... in the timeout (in my opinion) he has to instruct the team that the ball (in that situation) has to start in Marbury's hands... it may end up with Jamal but, the play starts with Stephon... and you know what, Jamal or Kurt or someone including Spephon, would have most likely ended up with a much better shot... with better clock management.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/18/2004  11:35 AM
I'm not buying it. Wilkens has to be yelling TO. I didn't see him or hear him say anything but stand there.
it WASN'T lenny's fault (detroit game)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy