[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider
Author Thread
Spree4life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #206
2/19/2002  12:38 PM
Can anyone post the Insider? "Will Bulls and Pacers get the Knicks,Nuggets and Suns in the mood?

[Edited by - Spree4life on 02/19/2002 12:39:40]
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/19/2002  1:50 PM
<sigh> what $29.95 a year will get me: the chance to cut and paste ESPN Insider articles. Here it is.

Are the Knicks, Nuggets and Suns getting moody?

The Knicks were still trying to pry away Nick Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz but, according to the N.Y. Post, the talks are going nowhere. Instead, the N.Y. Daily News is reporting that the Knicks might swap point guard Charlie Ward for T-Wolves center Dean Garrett. Not quite the "exciting" trade coach Don Chaney referred to last week.

Even that deal seems in doubt. T-Wolves GM Kevin McHale said it's unlikely the Wolves will make a trade. "You know what? I think the Suns summed it up as best they could: It's a lot easier to get rid of the coach, so they did," he told the St. Paul Pioneer Press, referring to Scott Skiles' resignation Sunday. "We're not moving Flip [Saunders, Wolves coach], but that just goes to show how hard it is to make a trade."

Chaney now seems to be bracing for the worst. "At this junction from what I've seen and I've heard, it's really tough to make any trades at this point," Chaney said. "Not that I'm saying it couldn't happen, but usually something would've happened by now. There is not a whole lot out there."

The Knicks shouldn't feel bad that they haven't made progress on the Van Exel-LaFrentz front -- neither has anyone else. "There's nothing different," Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "I've been talking all day, trying to make something happen. It's tough making a deal. Everyone is concerned about the salary cap."

The Rocky Mountain News is reporting that the Nuggets have a deal on the table for Van Exel if he follows through on his suggestion that he opt out of the final two years of his contract. "My understanding is, he is vacillating at this point," Vandeweghe said.

As reported by Insider Monday, the Magic were one of the teams in the running for Van Exel and LaFrentz but balked when Van Exel began waffling on his promise. Magic GM John Gabriel told Florida Today that the Magic will now probably stick with what they have. "I like the guys we have. We have some things we're not doing defensively, but we're getting better. If any team is on an upswing right now, it's us."

The N.Y. Post is reporting that the Celtics are prepared to swap Kenny Anderson, rookie Joe Johnson and Randy Brown for Van Exel and Calbert Cheaney. But again, the Celtics want Van Exel to promise to opt out of his contract.

The Suns are still looking for a big man, and Stephon Marbury is suddenly looking over his shoulder. On Monday, Insider reported that the Knicks had inquired about Marbury's availability. Today's editions of the Arizona Republic, citing team sources, said the Suns aren't looking to trade Marbury. However, Newsday reports that Knicks president Scott Layden is still trying to land the troubled point guard.

Marbury knows his future in Phoenix could be coming to an end. He wouldn't comment about his status Monday but did tell the Arizona Republic, "I want to play here. There are things you always hear. After the incident happened, I think it was pretty much people looking at it like that's the history of the Suns. When something like what happened happens, the guy usually gets traded. But I'm happy playing basketball here. I think it can work. I made a mistake. My situation right now is that I have to get back in tune as far as what I have to do on the basketball court. And I'm ready to do that."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Spree4life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #206
2/19/2002  2:51 PM
Thx,bud
Insider

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy