[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Too much credit to Aguire?
Author Thread
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
12/15/2004  11:12 AM
I think so. Nazr is proving himself to be a talented, team-oriented, coachable big. Maybe he didn't get the coaching he needed in Atlanta. Or maybe he was just playing behind good centers, so had trouble earning his minutes. Either way, doesn't mean that he's only blossoming in NY because of Aguire.

Aguire's not the only low-post coach out there that would be making strides with Nazr, or w/ Sweet for that matter. I point this out not to dog Aguire, but because every time we evaluate a post player on this board, it seems like we assume we'll get more out of him than any other team has because of the Aguire magic touch. (See Curry, Kwame, and now Diop.) I don't doubt that Aguire's a good coach. But there are plenty of good coaches around. We can't count on every young big all of a sudden blossoming once they get to the Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
12/15/2004  11:20 AM
s.t.f. up. Agwire proved that he is an excellent coach, and our young bigs are showing it. Give props where props are due.

Posted by bernard:

I think so. Nazr is proving himself to be a talented, team-oriented, coachable big. Maybe he didn't get the coaching he needed in Atlanta. Or maybe he was just playing behind good centers, so had trouble earning his minutes. Either way, doesn't mean that he's only blossoming in NY because of Aguire.

Aguire's not the only low-post coach out there that would be making strides with Nazr, or w/ Sweet for that matter. I point this out not to dog Aguire, but because every time we evaluate a post player on this board, it seems like we assume we'll get more out of him than any other team has because of the Aguire magic touch. (See Curry, Kwame, and now Diop.) I don't doubt that Aguire's a good coach. But there are plenty of good coaches around. We can't count on every young big all of a sudden blossoming once they get to the Knicks.
The true Knickabocker..........
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
12/15/2004  11:26 AM
Posted by diderotn:

s.t.f. up.

diderotn... not the type of conversation we are expecting in this forum. Clean it up.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
diderotn
USA
12/15/2004  11:31 AM
I am sorry, it is very unlike me to write like that, but I am disgusted by these fans who don't value hard workers like JYD. This man has shed his blood for our team, but instead of seing what he brings and capitalize from it, they much rather have or want Houston in the starting lineup as our SF. hOUSTON IS 6'6" and he would be guarding taller and bigger players at that position. If Houston was knowned to be a defender a la Maggette, I wouldn't mind, but he is not known for D.

Posted by Andrew:
Posted by diderotn:

s.t.f. up.

diderotn... not the type of conversation we are expecting in this forum. Clean it up.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/15/2004  11:40 AM
Sprewell was 6'5'' Desmond Mason is 6'5''

it can be done besides I like the point someone made the other day that at this point in his career Houston is better off playing against SFs because his problem has always been chasing down quicker SGs and every SG was quicker than him, especially now. Houston just needs to show effect and that he does do. What he can't do is keep up with guys because he wasn't blessed with the speed. I'm not saying Houston will become an amazing defensive SF, but he can hold his own. sure they'll be nights when he faces a quicker SF and gets burned but then we have the luxury of bringing in JYD! Then you sit Houston or Crawford, depending on who is hot.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/15/2004  11:42 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I am sorry, it is very unlike me to write like that, but I am disgusted by these fans who don't value hard workers like JYD. This man has shed his blood for our team, but instead of seing what he brings and capitalize from it, they much rather have or want Houston in the starting lineup as our SF. hOUSTON IS 6'6" and he would be guarding taller and bigger players at that position. If Houston was knowned to be a defender a la Maggette, I wouldn't mind, but he is not known for D.

Posted by Andrew:
Posted by diderotn:

s.t.f. up.

It's all good Andrew. I never seen him type like that since I've been here. He's just a little emotional today.

I am too......the Knicks are right there as far as being elite.....that's without making a trade for some big name talent.

It starts with defense which is coming along.

Tim Thomas is the guy that is in the way of progress. A couple of times he closed in on defense and made some good team plays, but he is totally screwing the Knicks over on offense.

With that being said, yes, Aguirre is overrated. He needs to be working with Timmy. Nazr is just playing to his potential. Sweetney is still learning how to stay on the floor. Sweets was doing the same stuff he does now in college. Timmy is the guy that Aguirre should be working with.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
diderotn
USA
12/15/2004  11:42 AM
cOME ON DUDE! I can't believe that you are comparing Spre and Mason to Houston. Those three guys can score the ball, and they can also defend. Houston can only score, that is it.. We have enough scorers in the back field. We need DDDDDEEEEEFFFFFEEEENNNNDDDDERS

Posted by gunsnewing:

Sprewell was 6'5'' Desmond Mason is 6'5''

it can be done besides I like the point someone made the other day that at this point in his career Houston is better off playing against SFs because his problem has always been chasing down quicker SGs and every SG was quicker than him, especially now. Houston just needs to show effect and that he does do. What he can't do is keep up with guys because he wasn't blessed with the speed. I'm not saying Houston will become an amazing defensive SF, but he can hold his own. sure they'll be nights when he faces a quicker SF and gets burned but then we have the luxury of bringing in JYD! Then you sit Houston or Crawford, depending on who is hot.
gunsnewing
USA
12/15/2004  11:48 AM
with JYD not only will not be a good defensive team we won't be a good offensive team either. It's be the Layden-Chaney era Knicks all over again. With Allan at least we'll have a dominate offense with the luxury of bringing in a stopper like JYD in spurts. You are severely overrating JYD man. Probably because he had a great game yesterday with 12pts & 7rebs.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
12/15/2004  11:54 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

with JYD not only will not be a good defensive team we won't be a good offensive team either. It's be the Layden-Chaney era Knicks all over again. With Allan at least we'll have a dominate offense with the luxury of bringing in a stopper like JYD in spurts. You are severely overrating JYD man. Probably because he had a great game yesterday with 12pts & 7rebs.
And you are severly overrating Allan Houston. TT in the starting lineup kills our defense. Imagine what will happen with Houston there! Atleast TT can put a hand up in people's face and his 6'10 makes it slightly harder for ppl, Houston at SF would be a disaster.

Spree and Mason are quicker, more agile, stronger and blah blah. The only place we should play H2O is at SG. If it means bringing Craw off the bench, so be it. Isiah already said he intends to start H2O, I rather see him start at SG. JYD might not be the best option at SF but he is better than Houston!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
diderotn
USA
12/15/2004  11:54 AM
fOR YOUR INFO, I HAVE BEEN WATCHING JYD FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS. I KNOW WHAT THIS DUDE CAN AND CAN NOT DO. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK WITH HOUSTON AS SF.

Posted by gunsnewing:

simrud
Member: #474
USA
12/15/2004  11:55 AM
Bro, where do you get of tellin anybody to s.t.f up??? Who do you think you are? If he has an opinion, then it arent any worse then yours, and you know what, considering half your posts don't make any sense anyways, as in when you somehow acuse everybody of hatin on JYD when he is not even mentioned, maybe you should follow your own advice.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
bernard
Member: #475
12/15/2004  12:05 PM
Totally missing the point, which is giving bulk of credit to the player, not the coach. Would be a moot point ... let them share the credit, whatever ... but if we make trades assuming Aguire can turn any lazy player with size and athleticism into a success like Nazr, we'll make some dumb moves. Nazr's not lazy. He's a good guy who would learn from any number of talented big-man coaches.

And btw, what does jyd vs. Houston have to do with this topic?
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Andrew:
Posted by diderotn:

s.t.f. up.

gunsnewing
USA
12/15/2004  12:18 PM
Just one more thing then we can continue discussing this in the TT thread...

but with Houston starting we have the luxury of bringing JYD off the bench if Houston or anyone else for that matter is getting torched. If JYD starts then we don't.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
12/15/2004  12:25 PM
I would take JYD on any team. The guy is all about what it should be. He plays for the love of playing. He plays the game the right way. He is perfect in his current role.

TT is a waste of space.

H20 cannot guard the 3, that is true, but did you see Craw trying to guard Jeff last night?

Oh and that reminds me. Is Jeff a Punk or what? I really do not like his on court attitude. He is a cry baby. I was very turned off by him last night. Also his pregame comments were pretty nasty too.

I would not trade Crawford for Vince. The only players I offer for Vince are: H20 and TT. IF they want Penny or Baker, oK. I would not trade JYD, Ariza or Sweetney, KT, Nazr, Marbury or Crawford for Vince.
Pike
Member: #403
12/15/2004  12:27 PM
Quite right about TT and JYD, disagree about Vince.

What's up, Gony?

[Edited by - Pike on 12/15/2004 12:29:26]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/15/2004  12:34 PM
allow me to shed some light on this. For one thing, Spree was never a SF for the Knicks. when he was in we played a 3 guard line up.

The reason you put Houston in and play 3 guards is it allows you put your best players together. As for Houston on defense he isnt as bad as people make him out. He's NOT a good 1-1 defender and never has been, but he is a good defender away from the ball and keep his man in front of him and he does a good job pushing his man to help. What Houston is on defense is smart and he plays hard. Houston is the only guard we have that actually fights under screen, rather than conceed the open jumper. Thats insane, but its true.

Houston forces mismatched on the other end as well, and he creates space for the other players to operate.

This team is still finding its identity. It will never be a defensive team. We do however have a lot of firepower and some guys like Nazr, JYD, Sweetney... with a nose for the ball. What you do is put your best scorers out there with a couple rebounders and force other teams to gun with you when you work the glass.

Considering our personel its a good system and will win us a lot of games. JYD has a lot of holes in his game. There is a reason he's a career backup. He's great in that role. Ask him to play starter minutes and those holes become a problem.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
12/15/2004  1:13 PM
I agree with Houston helping the offense tremendously by spreading it out but I disagree with the defense part. Houston's biggest weakness is keeping guys in front of him, especially now with those knees. I think at 6'6'' he can put his body on player and put his hands up.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 12/15/2004 13:13:40]
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/15/2004  1:19 PM
notice when guys get past him he still pushes them towards help. Houston was a part of some very good defensive teams because he knows what he can and cant do.. put he plays hard on that end.

Every game has mismatches.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/15/2004  2:05 PM
Posted by diderotn:

but I am disgusted by these fans who don't value hard workers like JYD. This man has shed his blood for our team,

s.t.f. up.

JYD died for your sins!

Your disqust or intolerence is spoken like a true insurgent!

Get off your high morality high horse and get real. This is freakin basketball. Save your indignent attidude for the things in life that matter the most.

Oh, JYD makes how much money? Is it like 7 million a year? He does not give blood for the fans. He is not bringing his lunch pail to work and putting in the time. He is a multimillionaire who is having a good time entertaining the crowd. He will pay for tearing up his body the rest of his life, but he won't have to work, or he will do what he wants.

And stop with the real fan bit. get a league pass and watch the games. The stat thing don't work.

knicks1248
Member: #582
12/15/2004  2:34 PM
what a joke, somebody said TT is 6 10" and his height alone would make him better at the 3. Obviously your not paying attention to this wuss. He would rather walk up the stairs to the top of the Empire State Buildind then to play anything remotely close to defense, he avoids contact like the plague. Iron Eagle and walt made some very good comments about TT any his ridiculous attitude.

The guy went up for a lay up between 3 defenders mis the bucket and the refs didn't call diddly squat because he avoided the contact and slither through the lane.

At 6 10" ( your right) all he has to do his put his hands up, but he does it with absolutely no effort, and boy o boy does this guy avoid contact. If a guy ( or even the man he's checking) penertrates baseline or in the paint, he kindly steps aside or gives you a lazy attempt promting the refs to either whistle him for a knick knack foul or the guy ends up scoring, either way he gives up something.

Houston at the 3 ( like fish said) at least knows where to be on D, he may not stop the guy, but he will force him do something else other then just taking it straight to him.

I personally, don't see the problem with him starting at sf, we are getting 15 minutes a night from TT at the 3 and it's resulting in nothing.

Whats even worse is that on offense TT as never been more pathetic. Even when they have mis-matches( which he should have almost on a nightly basis) he's thinking about everything, and gets called for Traveling, offensive foul, or forcing the issue. WHATS LEFT FOR THIS DUDE TO DO BUT come off the bench where he's always been productive in that role.
ES
Too much credit to Aguire?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy