djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/14/2004  3:13 PM
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2004/12/14/781739-sun.html

Writing's on wall

THIS COULD BE THE WEEK THAT VINCE IS TRADED AWAY

By BILL HARRIS, TORONTO SUN

THEORETICALLY, Vince Carter could be traded on Christmas day. Now, we're not suggesting that's what's going to happen, with the Carters gathered around the dining-room table, ready to carve the turkey, only to be interrupted by a jarring, if not unwelcome, phone call.

But unlike the NHL, the NBA does not have an embargo on trades during the holidays.

Nonetheless, trades don't usually happen between Christmas and New Year's Day. But that has more to do with team executives taking time off themselves, rather than any technical limitations on roster moves.

Frankly, if the Raptors and the New York Knicks are going to get together on a Carter deal, it likely will come to a head this week.

Players who signed free-agent contracts last summer, as well as rookies, can be traded as of tomorrow (Dec. 15), according to league rules. So logically, if that's what has been holding up a Raptors-Knicks marriage, tomorrow could be the wedding day.

Regardless, the two teams continue to talk seriously about a multi-player transaction that would send Carter, Jalen Rose and one or two more players to the Big Apple for Allan Houston, Tim Thomas, Jerome (Junk Yard Dog) Williams and one or two others. Some draft picks and a few million bucks in cash might exchange hands as well.

Yes, we know Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas said on Sunday he has no intention of trading Houston, who just recently came back from a serious knee injury. But at the risk of being labelled cynical, by no means do we see Thomas' declaration as an iron-clad guarantee.

Most reports out of New York have indicated the only untouchable Knick is guard Stephon Marbury. Certainly, if Knicks centre Nazr Mohammed or guard Jamal Crawford ever were offered, Raptors general manager Rob Babcock's eyes might light up like a child on Christmas morning.

However, you can't blame Thomas for trying to dump his recycle bin on Toronto's front lawn, given the Raptors' current seven-game losing streak, their frustrated fans, their disgruntled stars, their volatile coach and the general sense of doom and despair at the Air Canada Centre, protestations of optimism notwithstanding.

Babcock claims he feels no pressure to make a deal. Insert your own punchline here.

The Raptors brass has gathered this week with some huge decisions to make. Understandably, no team wants to make a trade when it's desperate. But the Raptors may have backed themselves into a corner.

Do the Knicks represent the only realistic chance the Raptors are going to have this season of jettisoning Carter and Rose, both of whom have hefty mutli-year contracts attached to their names?

Carter could receive the gift of a change of scenery at any moment. Only then will he cast aside his psychological crutches, ignore the pain in his left Achilles, leap to his feet and cry out, "God bless us, every one!"

AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/14/2004  3:14 PM
marc berman of the north?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2004  3:25 PM
yea... does Isiah even like Vince? Is there any reason to aquire Vince other than to move him this summer? Didnt Isiah push out Rose in the first place because he didnt want him to play PG and was pretty burnt on him?

None of this makes sense and the more you hear the more I am conviced nothing will happen. Knicks need bigs and defenders. We have enough guys that can put the ball in the basket.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
deebo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #740
12/14/2004  3:47 PM
The only way I would do this trade, is if they include D Marshall. Something like Houston, TT, and Jerome for Vince, J Rose, and D Marsh.
Don''t sleep!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/14/2004  4:03 PM
Nobody believes Isiah when he says he is not trading Allan!
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/14/2004  4:07 PM
It all depends on the pieces they give up. Carter has more value than Houston & TT combined. With Carter maybe Dalembert or Kwame or Curry & Chandler become more of a possibility in the right deal come the deadline. What could Carter & Muhammad get us at the deadline or in the offseason.

I do worry about the other player or 2 we would have to add. And how long there contracts are.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/14/2004  4:12 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

marc berman of the north?

or Peter Vescey
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2004  4:21 PM
better happen quickly because I think you have to wait 60 days before you can retrade a guy, unless you do it within the first 5 days. I have no problem getting Vince. I have a huge problem getting Jalen Rose.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
deebo
Member: #740
12/14/2004  4:21 PM
Nobody believes Isiah when he says he is not trading Allan!

IT would trade anybody on this team for the right player in return. If we trade for Vince, I would rather have one player that's injury prone than two.

The only way I would do this trade, is if they include D Marshall. Something like Houston, TT, and Jerome for Vince, J Rose, and D Marsh.

The key to this trade proposal is Donyell Marshall and upgrading at the SF position. I would hate to get rid of Houston and Jerome, but the return outweighs the loss.
Don''t sleep!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/14/2004  4:26 PM
I hardly consider Houston injury prone. Before last season, he only missed, what was it 32 games for his career?
I'm not saying Allan won't get hurt again, but 'injury prone' may be a little exageration.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/15/2004  8:29 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/262223p-224528c.html

VINCE ON DECK?: Toronto management is said to be getting antsy about trading Vince Carter, which could be beneficial to the Knicks. The Raptors are reluctant to deal Carter for Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway. However, the Knicks are one of the few teams that would be willing to take on Jalen Rose's contract.

Isiah Thomas is said to have no qualms about having five players on the roster - Carter, Rose, Houston, Jamal Crawford and Stephon Marbury - who are all used to playing big minutes and having the ball.
Bonn1997
USA
12/15/2004  12:13 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

VINCE ON DECK?: Toronto management is said to be getting antsy about trading Vince Carter, which could be beneficial to the Knicks. The Raptors are reluctant to deal Carter for Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway. However, the Knicks are one of the few teams that would be willing to take on Jalen Rose's contract.

Isiah Thomas is said to have no qualms about having five players on the roster - Carter, Rose, Houston, Jamal Crawford and Stephon Marbury - who are all used to playing big minutes and having the ball.
No one has any comments on this rumor??? I was curious what people thought. I'm reluctant to trade two contracts that should be very good trade assets next season. However, if Isiah believes and the doctors can confirm that Vince is healthy enough to be the 22/5/5 player he was last year, then the deal is probably worth it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/15/2004  12:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:

No one has any comments on this rumor??? I was curious what people thought. I'm reluctant to trade two contracts that should be very good trade assets next season. However, if Isiah believes and the doctors can confirm that Vince is healthy enough to be the 22/5/5 player he was last year, then the deal is probably worth it.

Vince+Rose for TT/Penny? In a NY minute. But no extras like a #1 or Ariza or Sweets. Just straight up.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
12/15/2004  12:18 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Vince+Rose for TT/Penny? In a NY minute. But no extras like a #1 or Ariza or Sweets. Just straight up.
You wouldn't have concerns about losing TT's and Penny's expiring contracts without getting a 4 or 5 in return? I was hoping ot use their contracts to get Kwame or Chandler or Dalembert or maybe one of their contracts to get Nene
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/15/2004  12:29 PM
yeah that is concerning but with Vince Carter we can make virtually any trade we want because he is a BIGGGGGGG name. What team wouldn't love to have him from a marketing stand point alone. So we'd still be able to trade him for a great PF/C. For all we know Carter will be amazing on the Knicks and then we'll be arguing that we shouldn't trade him lol
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/15/2004  12:30 PM
pelase dont trade JYD isiad!!!!!!!!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/15/2004  12:32 PM
where did you read that he might trade JYD?! I hope not...that would be a disaster! JYD won us so many games this year and we're only 10-10. Without him we'd be 5-15!
Pike
Member: #403
12/15/2004  12:32 PM
TT for VC is like hearing rumors that the Nets are shipping Scalabrine to the Heat for SHAQ!! hahahaha!!!

Hopefully the Raptors brass haven't seen too many Knicks games of late. (rolling eyes, shaking head)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/15/2004  12:37 PM
Posted by deebo:

That is a trade worthy of your name.....you are just housing their whole roster.

I'm afraid of a Carter trade now though. If it could be Carter for Timmy somehow then I would do it......

I don't wanna trade JYD, or Craw at this point. Craw is irratic but he draws attention and he plays good defense getting steals. He's the man, and he's just starting to get lose if you all notice.

TT, Houston, KT, maybe even Sweetney.......not Craw, or JYD.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
USA
12/15/2004  12:38 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

yeah that is concerning but with Vince Carter we can make virtually any trade we want because he is a BIGGGGGGG name. What team wouldn't love to have him from a marketing stand point alone. So we'd still be able to trade him for a great PF/C.
Yeah, but I don't think Isiah would be getting Vince to trade him. I think Stephon, Jamal, and Vince if this trade occured would be identified as "Isiah's guys." It looks bad when you work so hard to get a player and then just trade him.
vince to ny rumors heating up...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy