Rick Barry: "I could still play"
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/14/2004  2:06 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/barry_hayes.htm

Is he for real? Maybe we should put he and Clyde together in the backcourt... play a zone.

Anyone notice the new theme of Knick broadcasts? Its 1.5 hours of Mike Breen saying how good everything the Knicks do is, and 1 hour of Clyde saying how good everything he did was.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/14/2004  2:13 PM
since i go to all the home games, i miss out alot on breen's commentary. on the road games, it's usually gus and he does alot of hooting and hollaring. gus get's me pumped but he and breen are definitely different than marv.

clyde is fun so i don't mind him so much.
fishmike
USA
12/14/2004  2:19 PM
Gus is good... I like him too. He gets into it but calls a pretty fair game
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/14/2004  2:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/barry_hayes.htm

Is he for real? Maybe we should put he and Clyde together in the backcourt... play a zone.

Anyone notice the new theme of Knick broadcasts? Its 1.5 hours of Mike Breen saying how good everything the Knicks do is, and 1 hour of Clyde saying how good everything he did was.

Barry is one of the biggest a-holes to ever play in the NBA (anyone remember his on-air comment to Bill Russell?) but he was one serious ballplayer! IMO he was as good of a forward as Clyde was of a guard.

Other topic - yea, I'm already sick of Breen. He goes on and on with some idiotic thing (the stiff from Atlanta likes Neil Diamond - enough already!). Last game he was carrying on and on with some politically correct drivel and Clyde had to keep interjecting to do play-by-play. It was stupid but actually funny after a while. I enjoy Gus a lot more but I MISS MARV LIKE HELL!!!
fishmike
USA
12/14/2004  2:30 PM
Posted by Marv:

(anyone remember his on-air comment to Bill Russell?)
No.. what did he say?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/14/2004  2:37 PM
I love Clyde, but I don't associate the Superfly/Shaft coolest dude in NYC from 1969-1975 with that voice on TV.

I miss Marv Albert. His back biteing/chick's underware thing made him even more interesting. Marv WAS the voice of the Knicks. Since he used to call Clydes games, it made Clyde better. Now its all Kool Aid induced propaganda.

Rick is and always was an dickhead. Funny, you can say Phuching dickhead, but not the Raps GM "Babcock". Can say "BabDick", "BabChock". But not the dudes name.

Back to Rick. He would be an excellent coach for about two years then someone would pull a "Spree" and ring his neck. He would deserve it. Rick is hard nosed old school. He should have taken the assistant route or started in college. The modern player might not like him, but he could make an impact on some team!

[Edited by - nalod on 12/14/2004 14:41:35]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Marv:

(anyone remember his on-air comment to Bill Russell?)
No.. what did he say?

They were broadcasting a network game together. Barry holds up an old picture of Russell from his playing days and says, "Look at that watermelon-eating grin!" Russell looked like the top of his head was going to explode, he was trying to keep it together on national TV but you could see all he wanted to do was clock Barry.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

yeah i rather hear Gus more often.....

Breen kills it for me, too. I thought he would be great because of all my memories of the radio, but he's just dull and just out of touch.

Gus and Clyde seem to have alot of fun together.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/14/2004  2:46 PM
... pretty funny... Barry can't get a coaching gig, I suppose this is the only way he can get a headline.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/14/2004  3:45 PM
If it's TV, I could care less who does the commentary. I just watch the game and whoever speak doesn't trouble me. All that matters is what's going on in the game.

Radio is different however, b/c I can't see what's going on. It's important to me, who does the broadcast. That's how Gus and John Andraise became my favorite, back when I didn't have cable.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
12/14/2004  5:57 PM
Breen does really good play by play. He should just stick to that, and not try to be funny or do color, thats Frazier's part.

Marv was def the best. I hate Dolan, can't wate till he sells the Knicks, if ever.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/14/2004  6:12 PM
Breen brings out some good points in games , but he's out of touch with today's ballers.

Anything that's not a picture perfect fundamentally sound jump shot...he calls a "WILD SHOT" Clyde doesn't do it for me anymore, the vocab is redundent and boring.

Gus knows how to hype the game up and is in touch with the players today.

Rick Barry is so old school that if he tried to coach at this level, he would try a Vince Lombardi on someone and get killed.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Rick Barry: "I could still play"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy