[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Solution 2 our Defensive issues.......
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
12/10/2004  10:03 PM
Since Lenny is collecting a huge amount of money from us, it will not be wise to fire him. The adjustment is simple, Lenny is a decent offensive coach, I will give that to him, but he doesn't know a damn thing about defense. Therefore, Agwire or someone else should be instructing or barking defensive assignments when our squad is on defense. Just like it is in football, we can have a little something similar. The Knicks and perhaps Dallas would be the only team with that type of system. Dallas has Avery Johnson, and the headcoach uses him wisely. In fact he is even grooming him to take over as a head coach after this season. Lenny should consider doing the same thing. Promote either Agwire or that other new guy and utilize their assets which is defense. You can easily or clearly see what is wrong with our boys. so something has to be done.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2004  10:14 PM
dude, you are a trip.

What happened when Lenny was coaching in Atlanta or his days with Seattle?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
diderotn
USA
12/10/2004  10:18 PM
See, I knew that somebody would have came up with that lame question. Check this out, when you have defensive minded players it is very easy to be passive and you know that they will get the job done. With the starting squad that we have out there, it is imperative that we have a motivator to push those offensive minded players to comit time at the defensive end of the court. Yes, we scored, but we got scored on when we shouldn't. Yes, Lenny got the job done when he was at those places, but have you seen how has done as of late? Could it be because he was never the reason why the other teams did well defensively???

Posted by martin:

dude, you are a trip.

[Edited by - diderotn on 12/10/2004 22:19:53]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/10/2004  10:25 PM
diderotn (how is that pronounced anyway? - just curious), why not just let lenny coach this team the whole year and see where we are defensively at the end of the season. heck, it could take one player to change the entire way we play defense (example, fortson in seattle). so instead of asking for a coaching change so quickly, why not have some patience and see what happens.

i think lenny is the right man for this team right now. now, in a year, i have to see the roster we have but for right now, he's still teaching alot of his players (crawford, sweetney, nazr, and to some extent marbury). they are learning and getting better as players. maybe the defense will come around also after some more teaching. these guys, their entire careers, were never considered individual defensive players so they have to buy and learn into a system. let's give lenny time to teach them the system.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/10/2004  10:27 PM
Posted by diderotn:

See, I knew that somebody would have came up with that lame question. Check this out, when you have defensive minded players it is very easy to be passive and you know that they will get the job done. With the starting squad that we have out there, it is imperative that we have a motivator to push those offensive minded players to comit time at the defensive end of the court. Yes, we scored, but we got scored on when we shouldn't. Yes, Lenny got the job done when he was at those places, but have you seen how has done as of late? Could it be because he was never the reason why the other teams did well defensively???

Posted by martin:

dude, you are a trip.

[Edited by - diderotn on 12/10/2004 22:19:53]

here is the opposite scenario.

Riley with the Lakers coached both offense and defense out the wazoo.

When he was with the Knicks he had one of the best defensive teams/schemes ever, but those same Knicks teams were known to go through offensive droughts. HUGE gaps of quaters without scoring. Does that mean Riley was all of a sudden a coach who didn't know how to coach his team to a better offense? No. Some times is just the mix of players you have.

Crawford and TT suck at D. Marb is marginal at best, and he does take risks, so it opens opportunities for his opponents when he does not get a hand on the ball. Kurt is a better than average 1-on-1 defender. Nazr is a below average defender. That's 4 out of 5 that are below average. Tell me that any coach can pull this one out of the hat.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
diderotn
USA
12/10/2004  10:31 PM
I agree with you, that is why I have clearly stated "Since Lenny is collecting a huge amount of money from us, it will not be wise to fire him. The adjustment is simple, Lenny is a decent offensive coach, I will give that to him, but he doesn't know a damn thing about defense. Therefore, Agwire or someone else should be instructing or barking defensive assignments when our squad is on defense. Just like it is in football, we can have a little something similar". I don't Isiah to fire this dude and allow him to collect his full contract. We are already overpaying Anderson and other players, we have to do better than that. Our boys can play defense, but Lenny needs to give that assignment to a guy like Agwire to do. He has the vocal for it, and he has done it all of his life. Our big men have missed several key assignment while on the court tonight, and it was sad to watch. From TT to JYD, they were aweful defensively. That is where Agwire should step in during game time. Lenny can't sream instructions, especially when we are on the road.

Posted by djsunyc:

diderotn (how is that pronounced anyway? - just curious), why not just let lenny coach this team the whole year and see where we are defensively at the end of the season. heck, it could take one player to change the entire way we play defense (example, fortson in seattle). so instead of asking for a coaching change so quickly, why not have some patience and see what happens.

i think lenny is the right man for this team right now. now, in a year, i have to see the roster we have but for right now, he's still teaching alot of his players (crawford, sweetney, nazr, and to some extent marbury). they are learning and getting better as players. maybe the defense will come around also after some more teaching. these guys, their entire careers, were never considered individual defensive players so they have to buy and learn into a system. let's give lenny time to teach them the system.
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
12/11/2004  6:32 AM
Imo the Knicks are a weak defensive team solely because they are undersized on the front line. It has very little to do with Lenny and whether or not he's barking at his players to defend. Looking at Lenny on the side lines tonight and in past games he seems to be very vocal. He was especially pissed at the refs who called the worst game i've seen all year (actually saw him cursing one of the officials out). They should have called defensive fouls on each drive Marbury made where he made those spectacular scoop shots in the paint because there was definite contact. Of course the non-call on the goaltending was the defining ref decision of the game. Marbury and even Crawford are not spectacular defenders on our perimeter either. However, when I hear people comparing this team to these great "defensive" teams from the 90's they seem to over analyze the problem. The fact is that the teams from the 90's had one Patrick Ewing maning the middle and when you have that presence that changes everything. Riley would be looked at much differently if Pat were not here. Bruce Bowen and Tony Parker would get toasted every night if they didn't have that inside defensive presence in the middle in TD. Artest would still be a great defender but not as good if he didn't have J.O. maning the middle. I like Nazr a lot and I'm sensing that Isiah will hang on to him and Sweetney (an absolute beast). The point is that we have no center. Nazr is a power forward who can give you good backup minutes at the C spot. His rebounding capabilities are fantastic but he's a below average defender. Haywood and Jefferies often were blocked out but they were just to big for our small frontline although our frontline fought hard and they were "scrappy" (derivative of "crappy") defensively . . That does not say something negative about Lenny and I think Isiah knows that. We just point blank don't have the personel to defend in the middle at the center spot. In the same way Allan had Washington adjusting how they doubled you'll have the same effect on our perimeter defense when we get a defensive presence. My hope is that Isiah will let this ride and allow these players to gell more from a defensive standpoint (yes they're stinking it up right now). You can't get blood froma turnip and imho it's erroneous to blame Lenny for that shortcoming.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/11/2004  9:14 AM
Seems to me Isiah has tabbed Aguirre as the future coach of the Knicks. He's actually doing a smart thing by having him learn from Lenny. Lenny may be old now and a good target for potshots but this guy has always been known for his basketball smarts, all the way back to when he was a young player-coach in the NBA. Aguirre's not ready yet and Isiah wants him to stay close at hand, learn from an old master and know our players inside out so that when he does take over he'll be maximally positioned to succeed. One of the ironies is that when Aguirre was in college and with Dallas he was known as fat and selfish (knickname was "Doughboy" - ouch! ) and as a player only interested in throwing up an incredible number of shots. But he was an unreal low-post scorer at 6'6" who used his butt to get position as well as anyone who's ever played the game. Therefore the perfect coach for Mike Sweetney's development.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/11/2004  9:24 AM
in response to Junkmein: our frontline consists of our best defenders. The bigger problem is marbury, jamal and TT constantly allowing players to get by them and because we don't have an intimidator like a mutumbo, ratliff or dalembert to make up for it we're screwed. If we had good perimeter defenders or one of those intimidators I mentioned we'd be a great team!
JUNKMEIN
Member: #797
12/11/2004  9:48 AM
gunsnewing, Tim at small forward is a part of our front court as the back court consist of the two guards and the front court consist of the two forwards and the center. We are weak defensively with any 5 combo we put out on the floor even a great defender like JYD can't compensate for it. I have to disagree with you on our front court. Nazr is at best an adequate defender and Kurt is way overated. I mean we get toasted by every teams powerforward (name one that hasn't gone for 20pts). Walker and Haywood got off yesterday. Arenas and the other kids were outplayed by Marbury and Jamal. We lost that game on our frontline (we're undersized). It's like having a quarterback...if he doesn't have that line in front of him it doesn't matter because he can't throw off of his back. Our lane has been an interstate for the second year in a row and that's mainly due to the fact our frontline offers very little defensive resistance. All you had to see was Dalembert take over that game last night against Chicago. He totally disrupted their offense and the moment the coach sent him to the bench Chicago made a run (all in the last two minutes). Imo Nazr is out of position at center as he is a power forward. Our front line is our weakest position from a defensive standpoint. We need help on our front line...Period.

[Edited by - JUNKMEIN on 12/11/2004 09:50:05]
gunsnewing
USA
12/11/2004  9:51 AM
I agree but the sad part is kurt and nazr are the 2 best defenders on our starting 5
diderotn
USA
12/11/2004  5:50 PM
I totally disagree with that statement. I do believe that we have players on our bench that totally change the defensive scheme that our team actually plays. The problem is that Lenny or Isiah doesn't want to disrespect some of the starters that we have. I do believe that JYD or Sweetney are much better at changing the defensive flow of the game instead of Kurt and TT. There was an instance when Lenny had Marb, Houston, JYD, Sweetney, and Vinny on the court, and that combo seemed to work fine. In fact we outscored the Wizz by at least 15 points. The rotation was much more syncronized and Marb didn't get cut behind the pick & roll. I am sorry, I know that you all know how I feel about Kurt and TT, some of you even think that Kurt is our best defender, how did you come up with that conclusion is beyond my understanding. Kurt is the worst front-court defenders that we have. You mix Sweetney with Nazr or Vinny, their foot speed alone allows them to quickly recover from defensive switches. I wish that I could get in a room with you all along with a video replay, I would have showed you all what I mean. Kurt is horrible. For the Knicks to be a success, Kurt can't be on the court.

Posted by gunsnewing:

I agree but the sad part is kurt and nazr are the 2 best defenders on our starting 5
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/11/2004  6:12 PM
I totally disagree with that statement. I do believe that we have players on our bench that totally change the defensive scheme that our team actually plays.

You disagree that Kurt and Nazr aren't the best defenders IN OUR STARTING 5, because we have some better defenders on the bench?
Sweetney hasn't seemed so great on defense, but it'll progress with him. I do like the D from JYD and Ariza off the bench though.
Michael6835
Member: #828
12/12/2004  1:03 AM
In response to Diderotn:

I dont understand how people are talking negatively about KT. How can he be the worst Front court defender. Have you watched all the knick games so far ? Playing the likes of Dirk, KG, TD, Brand, Yao, Walker, Gasol. I think he does a great job. Let's see 4 are all stars (that i know of) the others are honorable mentions. Kurt Thomas has deal with great power forwards almost every night, (tomorrow its K-Mart)on top of that he is heavily relied on for offense (pick n roll) with his sweet touch. I say it clearly Kurt is not the problem. The help needs to come from the knick guards, people are flying past them and they are leaving people open for 3's. The knicks could easily have a better record, they dont have the killer instinct yet. They managed to somehow make every game "interesting" (Hornets & Raptors Hawks) Plain and simple they need a shot blocker. who that is I dont know. Sorry for the long post. I just dont think KT is the problem, i think he is way to valuable to lose, he can spread the defense.
M
gunsnewing
USA
12/12/2004  1:13 AM
because he hinders the developement of Sweetney and he doesn't provide up with the 2 things we need most. Low post offense and shot-blocking. And the one thing he does...which is shot jumners we don't need because we already have H20. Nevermind the fact that he always clanks shots to end games like he did against Washington. He's just not a very skilled player. His numbers will not they at 12&10 they will be closer to 11pts & 8rebs by the end of the year so trade him now that we might be able to get a young player with potential in return.
diderotn
USA
12/12/2004  10:54 AM
Exactly what I am talking about. What Kurt provides can easily be replaced. Nazr on the other hand still has plenty of room to grow. He is already averaging 2 blks per game, and most of all scoring and rebounding heavily. We don't need Kurt, mainly because he plays like a guard. We need a real PF a la Jamison. The day you all realize that Kurt plays like a guard, is the day you will all see what I am talking about. Does he have a postup game? Trade Kurt along with Penny and a draft pick, we can get a scrub scoring Center, but good defender, rebounder, shot blocker, to complement Nazr and the rest of our players.

Posted by gunsnewing:

because he hinders the developement of Sweetney and he doesn't provide up with the 2 things we need most. Low post offense and shot-blocking. And the one thing he does...which is shot jumners we don't need because we already have H20. Nevermind the fact that he always clanks shots to end games like he did against Washington. He's just not a very skilled player. His numbers will not they at 12&10 they will be closer to 11pts & 8rebs by the end of the year so trade him now that we might be able to get a young player with potential in return.
Solution 2 our Defensive issues.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy