[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

briggs, i have a question for you about sweetney.
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/10/2004  9:44 PM
when you see a game like tonight against washington, when he basically abused anybody that tried to guard him in the post (like jamison, jefferies, etc.), do you still want to move him so badly? i also think that to get a kwame or dalembert, you may have to include him but his post play is so so good.

(btw, i still can't believe they don't really ever go to him in the post. i'm not sure if it's b/c he doesn't demand it or what, but he's always setting those high screens when he should just get down low.)

anyway, what are your thoughts b/c that dominating potential is there offensively?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/10/2004  11:23 PM
Briggs just needs to have patience with his own guys... before that draft he said we should draft Sweetney as he could anchor the post for 10 years. Cmon.. the guy's shown enough flashes.. you just have to be patient with him. He's what.. 21?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/10/2004  11:26 PM
like i said, i think MS needs to weigh 250 to diversify his game. am i willing to trade him, ? yes Im not pushing him out the door, I would want a young HIGH caliber asset for him in a package deal. I still rather have the size in height. listen i love mS i wanted the knicks to draft him, i never said anything bad against him, but i want our team to have a legit BIG C. I questioned why MS wasnt getting enough PT etc.. obviously his thumb has been hurting him, i saw him grimace twice tonight. yes he was the most dominating bench player tonight for sure.
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
12/11/2004  1:12 AM
fair enough. i guess i'm so against trading him b/c he's our best post up player and i'm a back to the basket fan but more importantly, he's an actual draft pick that's actually playing with the team.

i wouldn't trade him, and even if it's for dalembert or kwame (who i think we need more) it would be bittersweet (no pun intended).

speaking of dalembert, it's amazing what happens when a coach removes his head from his ass and realize what he has sitting at the end of the bench.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/11/2004  2:07 AM
dj, would you trade Sweetney for Brendan Haywood?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/11/2004  7:04 AM
Sweetney was dominant today but he only played limited minutes because KT was hitting his jumper.

Kt's jumper is a smoke screen. The Knicks need to start the game with Sweetney and establish him on the blocks. Washington couldn't stop him.

I keep saying KT is a complementary player. You can live with a jump shot or two or three. Beating you inside is demoralizing to the opposition.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
12/11/2004  9:40 AM
Posted by TMS:

I wouldnt... Haywood had a good game but that was more on us for doing a poor job boxing out. We can just sign Steven Hunter for a MLE type deal next offseason and have a strong 7 footer that can come off the bench give you great size and block some shots
djsunyc
12/11/2004  10:05 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by TMS:

I wouldnt... Haywood had a good game but that was more on us for doing a poor job boxing out. We can just sign Steven Hunter for a MLE type deal next offseason and have a strong 7 footer that can come off the bench give you great size and block some shots

i agree. haywood is playing well but this is the what he is. sweetney on the other hand can actually be a huge dominating presence on the offensive side of the ball.

i still think sweets has to get at least 25mins a night. this under 20 thing stinks especially, even with a hurting hand, he's still able to get to the line and make post moves. will he get confused sometimes defensively, sure, but it's not like would be worse than anybody else. it's tough for lenny b/c kurt has been playing lights out this season.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/11/2004  11:54 AM
I really do think it will just take a bit more time with Sweets. This years' playoffs he will explode, and it will carry into next year.

Dude does have to drop another 20 pounds, but it will come. I was trying to watch some of the Portland game last night to see how he compares to Randolph - and admittedly I didn't get to see as much as I would like - but I think Sweets has better hands and a wider body. Randolph has the southpaw thing going for him that throws off defenders, but I am so nutty as to think that Sweets will be better than Randolph.

There, I said it. Sweets better than Randolph in a couple of years. Call me crazy.

I am over the fact that Sweets is only 6'8"; the guy is wide enough and quick enough, and when he sheds the pounds, he will be explosive and a tough matchup. Every time there is a loose ball on the floor amongst big men, Sweets ALWAYS comes up with the ball. I just imagine his hands as the softest catchers mitt there is; he corrals the ball.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/11/2004  11:59 AM
they really gotta trade kurt thomas now because Sweetney's offense looks tremendous right now and he can block shots, he just needs to work on his footing on defense and that will come with time. We don't need Kurt's jump-shooting with H20 back. Sweetney should've been in the game late last night so that he could grab a rebound not Kurt.
fishmike
USA
12/11/2004  12:51 PM
Guns.. I'm with you... all the negatives I see from Sweetney look correctable. He probably does need to be down to 250 like Briggs said, but he's showing he can block shots on help and he really is unstoppable in the post. The defensive issues all look like timing, and not a lack of height or quickness.

Despite last night I'm not worried and am confident we can load up on some bigs next offseason. I would love to move KT, but we will see. Hopefully we can land a Swift, Dalembert, Kwame, curry type of player and use the MLE on a guy like Steven Hunter who can just give us muscle off the bench
s3231
Member: #544
USA
12/11/2004  1:12 PM
I know some fans think KT is having a great season, but hopefully last night's game at least put some sense into them. IMO he has hurt us on the defensive boards a lot this season. Last night's game was obviously the most apparent case, but this has been a problem since our home opener against Boston. We shouldn't just trade KT for the hell of it, but if we can find a decent deal then I think we should dump him. Had Sweetney been in there for those final minutes last night, I think we would have won that game.

[Edited by - s3231 on 12/11/2004 13:19:51]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/11/2004  1:13 PM
exactly the defensive issues can be easily corrected especially with playing time and experience
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/11/2004  1:46 PM
we need a big C who can alter shots in the paint & be physical enough on low post players to keep them from backing them in for easy points...Nazr has improved on his defense, but he is still very poor on stopping penetrators & isn't an intimidator at all...he gets alot of ticky tack fouls called on him too by the refs, which i think is unfair...maybe that's keeping him from being more aggressive?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
briggs, i have a question for you about sweetney.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy