[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

IT calling Karl Malone
Author Thread
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
12/9/2004  11:16 PM
What is IT thinking with this move. I know the chance of Malone coming to the Knicks in nil. but to even call him is ridiculous. Unless he thinks that blocking Malone from the heat is a sound strategy.

Its in the NYtimes.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/9/2004  11:19 PM
what's the harm in calling him? i'd be more bothered if Isiah didn't even bother...at least he's not letting any stone unturned...Malone would be an obvious help to this low post scoring deficient team...even though mailman would probably never play here, it's worth asking.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/9/2004  11:21 PM
I don't expect Malone to come to NY, but it would be awesome if he did. Zero harm in calling. It's a smart move. Where did you find out that he called Karl?
Vmart
USA
12/9/2004  11:22 PM
This goes against the youth movement. I think Malone is finished and only hanging on for a cheapened ring. He should retire with grace of a Pat Ewing and Charles Barkley not as a coattailing former superstar.
Vmart
USA
12/9/2004  11:23 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I don't expect Malone to come to NY, but it would be awesome if he did. Zero harm in calling. It's a smart move. Where did you find out that he called Karl?

It at realgm.com a NYTimes article
Bonn1997
USA
12/9/2004  11:27 PM
Posted by Vmart:

This goes against the youth movement. I think Malone is finished and only hanging on for a cheapened ring. He should retire with grace of a Pat Ewing and Charles Barkley not as a coattailing former superstar.
Getting a good veteral role player and role model does *not* go against youth movement; it helps the movement.
Bonn1997
USA
12/9/2004  11:30 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/10/sports/basketball/10knicks.html?oref=login&oref=login

Fairy Tale or Not, Knicks Call Malone
By HOWARD BECK

Published: December 10, 2004

ASHINGTON, Dec. 9 - In the fairy-tale version of the Knicks' season, Allan Houston gallops triumphantly back from his extended vacation, lifts the spirits and play of his teammates and rekindles a dormant love affair between New York and its beleaguered basketball franchise.

In the fairy tale, Houston is still the shooting ace whose clutch play put the Knicks in the N.B.A. Finals in 1999. He is the leader they need, the anchor they have lacked.

But the Knicks do not really do fairy tales, Willis Reed notwithstanding, and no one knows what Houston has to offer after spending eight and a half months recovering from knee injuries.

They do expect Houston to make his season debut Friday night against the Wizards in Washington. And they will soon know if the man with the $100 million contract is still their best player, or merely their highest paid.

Yet even as they welcome Houston back and brace for repercussions throughout the lineup, the Knicks are exploring more dramatic changes.

Isiah Thomas, the team president, continues to pursue Toronto's Vince Carter, monitor Chicago's Eddy Curry and explore any and all moves that might push the Knicks, who are 9-9, beyond the ranks of the mediocre.

To that end, Thomas made a call Wednesday to the agent for Karl Malone, the disillusioned former Los Angeles Lakers forward. A free agent, Malone is nearly ready to play again after recovering from off-season knee surgery. But because of a recent publicized rift with Kobe Bryant, he no longer wishes to play for the Lakers.

"Isiah was very forward yesterday," Dwight Manley, Malone's longtime agent, said in a telephone interview.

Even at age 41, the bruising Malone would be an asset to any team with championship aspirations. He could make the Knicks contenders in the East just by signing a contract.

Of course that, too, is probably a fairy tale. As Manley admitted, Malone's joining the Knicks "would be a long shot."

Malone's priority has been to win a championship before he retires, and a number of true contenders, including San Antonio, Minnesota and Miami, are courting him.

The Knicks would become infinitely more attractive to Malone if they acquired Carter or another player of his caliber. But that's the fairy tale again.

In reality, the Knicks may have to stand pat for a while. They have offered Houston to Toronto, but the Raptors are not intrigued by an aging shooter with a history of knee problems and a hefty contract. Toronto has instead asked for 24-year-old Jamal Crawford, whom the Knicks will not part with.

Indeed, while half the Knicks roster has been mentioned in trade speculation, only two players - Stephon Marbury and Crawford - have been deemed untouchable by the Knicks, according to a prominent player agent.

So the Knicks will place their hopes and their faith in the players they have and hope Houston can approximate his old self. But his presence will force adjustments and potentially bruise some egos.

By the time Houston steps on the MCI Center court Friday night, the Knicks will have played 31 straight games without him and 48 of the past 57 games, counting playoffs.

Since Houston succumbed to knee injuries, the Knicks have reworked the offense around Marbury and Crawford and have sent away most of the teammates Houston had known. He has barely played with Marbury, Tim Thomas and Nazr Mohammed and has never played with Crawford.

"Allan's a big part of what we do," Coach Lenny Wilkens said Wednesday. "I'm anxious to get him back. Listen, I also understand it's going to take a few games. He can't step out there, and all of sudden you've got the same Allan that you had three or four years ago."

The Knicks surely need the Houston of old who routinely scored 20 points a game and was one of the best 3-point shooters in the league.

For months, the Knicks have boasted about the firepower of a three-guard rotation of Houston, Marbury and Crawford. Now comes the difficult part: making it work.

Crawford and Houston have said they will not quibble over who starts, but Crawford has been a starter throughout his pro career and Houston is a former All-Star who has started 582 games for the Knicks since 1996.

Once Penny Hardaway recovers from a hamstring strain, the Knicks will have a three-position logjam, from point guard through small forward.

"You know how guys are: everybody wants to play," Marbury said. "No one wants to sit on the bench, despite what people say. I wouldn't want to sit on the bench. So I don't think anybody else would want to. Guys get paid a lot of money, but guys also want to play."

Sacrifice will soon become the Knicks' buzzword. Crawford, Marbury, Hardaway and Tim Thomas will all have to sacrifice minutes. It is possible that Crawford or Thomas will eventually have to sacrifice his starting job.

Crawford has already declared that he will focus more on playmaking and defense than scoring, although he said it was not because of Houston's return. Crawford has, however, become mildly irritated by the speculation about his role and suspicious of questions he believes are designed to provoke controversy.

Marbury said there should be no debates.

"Allan's one of our best players, if not our best player," he said. "When Allan comes back, if he wants to play 40 minutes and he can, he's going to play 40 minutes, period. I don't even know why we're talking about this, to really be honest. I mean, that's just how it is."

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/09/2004 23:32:35]
Vmart
USA
12/9/2004  11:34 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Vmart:

Getting a good veteral role player and role model does *not* go against youth movement; it helps the movement.

The Knicks have Vin Baker sitting on the bench do you guys really want another washed up veteran who has become injury prone. This is a nosense move the Knicks aren't going to win achampionship anytime soon and adding Malone does nothing to the NYK chance to get a championship.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2004  11:35 PM
Vmart, remember to take everything with a grain of salt. The NY Writers have to report anything and everything, for whatever reason.

Ahh, Isiah called Malone! Houston came off the IR 2 games early! Code red, code red! Alert the papers!
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
12/9/2004  11:36 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Vmart:

The Knicks have Vin Baker sitting on the bench do you guys really want another washed up veteran who has become injury prone. This is a nosense move the Knicks aren't going to win achampionship anytime soon and adding Malone does nothing to the NYK chance to get a championship.
Who better for Sweetney to learn from than Malone?
Malone played very well last season too. He's a legit solid role player.
Vmart
USA
12/9/2004  11:41 PM
Posted by martin:

Vmart, remember to take everything with a grain of salt. The NY Writers have to report anything and everything, for whatever reason.

Ahh, Isiah called Malone! Houston came off the IR 2 games early! Code red, code red! Alert the papers!

You are right Martin. He has no desire to play here anyways.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/10/2004  12:20 AM
I'd love to have Malone but why would he come here so that he could come off the bench when he can start elsewhere. I wouldn't have a problem starting him over KT but we know KT would. Malone/Nazr pretty much covers all the bases
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/10/2004  12:26 AM
Karl can still play D and could be a backup center. Not sure about how much time he'd get here, but why wouldn't you call him?
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/10/2004  1:35 AM
ill take anything right about now
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
12/10/2004  3:31 AM
I agree that the chances of it happening are very slim, but you never know until you try. I'd love to have Malone for however many minutes he can play. He'll be great on the pick and roll with Marbury, he'll upgrade our d and do his share on the boards.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
12/10/2004  5:51 AM
malone is a shadow of himself.

we shouldn't try to bring anymore names, but to the opposite try to builld from within. what we're lacking the most is an identity and bringing even more falling stars won't do that (carter, malone...).

We should bank on player on the rise, and I'd rather see marb improve his d, craw his shot selection and get a dalembert/swift type of player and see where he lead us.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/10/2004  6:57 AM
Malone would make it easier to trade KT without suffering much until Sweets is ready.
MS
Member: #724
12/10/2004  9:01 AM
Time and time again the stupid posts on this site continue to amaze, Malone would do nothing, he wouldn't play, you guys can't be serious...Karl is a rebounder and defender two things the Knicks need...

And he can still run the ? PICK AND ROLL, the biggest weapon this Knicks team has, Isiah is right to make the call and try to acquire Malone....And if the Knicks can move Houston for Vince you do it, straight up. But thats not going to happen....

Who is better than Malone off the bench, Sweetney please, his fat ass can hardly move he is in terrible shape he needs to reassert himself so he can be the 10 and 8 guy off the bench he should be....

Vin Baker is drinking, his contract should be terminated, who is our back up center we don't have one....So big deal we stunt Ariza a little, or Sweetney....

Malone gives the Knicks an immediate chance to win if he plays like he did at the begining of last season.....

Good call on Isiah's part....but he is going to Miami or the Spurs

raven
Member: #316
Canada
12/10/2004  9:47 AM
Posted by MS:

Malone gives the Knicks an immediate chance to win if he plays like he did at the begining of last season.....

To win what ?

A championship ? Im' sure not. So then what's the gain ? Except slowing our team developpement i don't see this vet boost useful.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/10/2004  9:59 AM
Crawford has, however, become mildly irritated by the speculation about his role and suspicious of questions he believes are designed to provoke controversy.
Crawford is a smart kid... he knows writers are trying to suck him into some crap with this.

I have no problem with Malone at all. I have always thought he's a hoser and his bricks in playoff crunchtime are legendary but who cares?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
IT calling Karl Malone

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy