[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

20 game report card
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/13/2004  10:58 AM
i think everyone on the team gets a C or better except for tim who gets an F. nazr is the only player that gets an A.
AUTOADVERT
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
12/13/2004  11:01 AM
Point Guard: Stephon Marbury A-

The Olympics served as life altering experience for Stephon Marbury who is having his best season as a pro. No longer the shot first selfish point guard with limitless potential Steph’s star is beginning to shine. With slick passes and a deadly propensity to find the open man Marbury playmaking is second only to Phoenix’s Steve Nash. Defense however is a word Marbury is trying to spell.

Shooting Guard: Jamaal Crawford C+/B-

Crawford the prized acquistion of General Manager and ultimateknicks savior Isiah Thomas has shown flashes, but those flashes come almost as quickly as they disappear. At times he been dynamic willing the Knicks to victory with his streak shooting, and quick instincts in the passing lanes. In order for Jamaal to be the player Thomas imagine he needs to work on his shot selection, and remember this isn’t Chicago. Two keys for his development into an All-Star is patience and offseason training, Crawford’s frail frame needs ten pounds to stand the punishment from bigger stronger guards who give Crawford fits.

Small Forward: Tim Thomas F

What can you say about a guy making 12 million a year standing at 6’10 with a silky smooth jumpshot, limitless athleticism, that somehow finds away to piss away all his talents. Playing the game without an ounce of passion, no defensive intensity, poor selfish shot selection the game seems like one big joke to the smiling Tim Thomas.

Power Forward: Kurt Thomas A-

Although not blessed with the physical gifts Kurt Thomas brings it every night. His interior defense has proven invaluable to the defensively challenged Knicks. Thomas averaging a double-double has worked long and hard improving his mid-range game, teaming with Stephon Marbury on the pick and role has been a thing of beauty.

Center: Nazy A-

After regaining his strength Naz has been nothing short of amazing, the blunt of criticism he has one fans over with his offensive rebounding as well as his increased scoring. However stills needs to work on his hands around the basket

Coaching: Lenny Wilkens C-

Lenny Wilkens club has found defense almost as hard as passing a 7th grade spelling bee. Without a clean plan in place the Knicks at times have looked lost, lacking clear fundamentals taught to first year basketball players such as help defense, and boxing out: this defensively challenged group of underachieving over paid babies, has lacked the one true muscle New Yorkers value most: Heart. Passion has been as consistent as Crawford’s jumpshot. The real

Bench: B

Sweetney: B-

Sweetney at times has looked like he is poised to become a very solid player in this league. The guy is solid will average 15pts 13rbs within three years, put his real problem to date is his weight, in order to guard quicker power forwards Sweetney will need to lost at least 15 pounds. His biggest asset is his ability to get the line

Ariza: B+

The surprise of the 2004-05 Knicks has been the steal of rookie SF Trevor Ariza. The kid just has a knack for the ball and within three years with a consistent jump shot this kid is poised for an all-star leap. Great awareness of where the ball is going to be, and athleticism is a breath of fresh air.

JYD: B+

He is doing his job and has lived up to his billing, high energy great defense and a solid work ethic.

Penny: B

Penny has looked good in spurts and has hit some nice shots in crunch time. He just needs to realize that other players are more important to the offensive scheme at times. His defense and leadership is a tremendous asset

Brewer/Moochie: Serviceable millionaires with no jumpers, but plenty of energy and defensive intensity when the guards need a breather.

Allan Houston: B

Right now Houston is beginning to move with fluidity again and will need a couple of weeks to get his legs back and a good feel for the game. Houston is poised to provide this team with a huge presence from the field and a stabalizing presence off it.

Vin Baker: F

Stop drinking and get your head in the game. People like you shouldn’t get a second, third and fourth chance, but you did so make the most of it and reward those who foolishly paid your salary…We are behind you Vinny just get it together…

TEAM GRADE: B

We aren’t a bad team we aren’t a good team. At times they have been dynamic, and as usual at times they have looked like a rec basketball team thrown together at the local Y. This team is dangerous if they commit to playing defense…SO please do and you will make Isiah look like a genius.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/13/2004  11:17 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

marbury A
Crawford C
Briggs... why so?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/13/2004  11:54 AM
first 20 games have been a rollercoaster for sure. I just pray for some stablility
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/13/2004  12:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by BRIGGS:

marbury A
Crawford C
Briggs... why so?

Crawford has been spotty. He can shoot liek yesterday or shoot like 3-16 and doesnt play good D.

Marbury has been the rock of this team. His stats prove it.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
USA
12/13/2004  12:26 PM
I would still give Craw a B though. I'd give Sweetney & Ariza a C and TT an F and Baker a D
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
12/13/2004  12:28 PM
b-/c+, plus is that this is how zeke predicted, minus - coaching...inability to solve the zone and no help defense, all coachable.

Hopefully we can get some consistency...nothing to say that hasn't already been said (craw, tt, etc.)
all kool aid all the time.
fishmike
USA
12/13/2004  12:46 PM
I guess I gave Marbury a C+ because I bought into some of the hype that he was going to do something different here this year. He's been awesome on offense. I think you once called him unguardable and thats pretty accurate. I have just been disappointed by his D. Maybe I am just asking too much.

I gave a C+,A based on my expectations and where these guys are in their career. Marbury at 27 is supposed to be beyond the stats.. remember he said its all about W's and Losses.
gunsnewing
USA
12/13/2004  1:00 PM
I'd give him an A....he'll get the + is he plays defense like he did yesterday every game
fishmike
USA
12/13/2004  1:08 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'd give him an A....he'll get the + is he plays defense like he did yesterday every game
Ask me again in a week.. we have some good tough home games coming up against Det and Dall plus NJ tomorrow night.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/13/2004  2:33 PM
I feel like Marbury is playing the best ball of his career right now. His decision making and shot selection are the best they've ever been, IMO and the numbers bear that out. He's taking the fewest shots per game since his rookie year, yet is still averaging 20 per game. His FG% is way up, his FT percentage is way up and I think his assist to turnover is about the best he's ever had right now (9 to 3, so approximately 3 to 1). I think he's doing a better job this year of playing within the flow of the game. There were times last year where he'd only pass in bunches or only shoot in bunches, but we're seeing a very good mix this year. He could definitely play better D, but I think it would be hard for him to exceed this level offensively.

[Edited by - VDesai on 12/13/2004 14:34:41]
fishmike
USA
12/13/2004  2:51 PM
nobody is knocking his offense... the guy is the truth. Thats not the problem. The problem is Rafer Alston, Milt Palacio, Earl Watson and Tyron Lue lighting you up. Marbury losses his man away from the ball more than anyone else on the team, and everyone the plays against him knows it.

He can be Jesus Christ on offense but it doesnt matter if your a matador on the other end.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/13/2004  2:53 PM
Guards

Marbury- (B)- His offense has been off the hook and he's becoming a true leader on that end. I just wish he would stop yelling at Nazr when he has a rare mess up. Actually, I haven't noticed if he still does that. Either way, he's become a true team player and leader on offense. His defense has been just bad though. He doesn't try nearly hard enough consistently, and half the times, he doesn't put a hand up to contest a shot. He has to step up on that end if we wanna think CHAMPIONSHIP.

Crawford- (B-)- He shows so many flashes on offense and he can become a great scorer in this league. I don't even think he is a selfish player. he just has to learn to play the game better, and start getting a better feel for the game. He forces it way too much. I like the kid. He's got a lot to learn, but he's gonna be real nice. He seems to try hard on his off the ball defense, like Marbury, but his on the ball is bad as well. He has to bulk up a little.

Norris- (B)- All Summer long and training camp long, I've heard people say how crappy he is. Then, I got cable TV and got to watch him consistently. I really don't have any complaints about him. He plays hard on defense, is a nice team player on offense. He will make a nice move or hit a shot now and then, and blends into the offense well. He's a nice leader too. He's good for us to have. I liked trading Spoon for him then, and I would do it again, today.

Houston- (Inc.)- I liked what I saw in limited minutes and he didn't look one dimensional one bit, to me. He played alright defense too. But I have to see him play 30 minutes consistently. We need him in the game.

Overall- (B)- Our offense is complete and we have everything you could ask for. Jamal just has to improve his shot selection, but that's it. The defense is just bad though. It's sad that Houston comes back, and we say Marbury and Crawford can learn from HIM, of all people, just b/c he tries hard. In terms of the perimeter defense, this is an area we must improve on, from within', as opposed to making trades or anything like that.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/13/2004  3:04 PM
If you're grading players based on how they've done compared to what you expected of them, then I can understand not giving Marbury an A. But if you're grading players by comparing them to the average player at their position, Marbury's gotta get an A or A+ because of how much he impacts the team.

Here are my grades. The first one is how they've done compared to the average starter at their position (or reserve if they're coming off the bench) and the 2nd is how they've done compared to how I expected them to.

Stephon Marbury: A/B
He's carried the team. The team is -16 pts per 48 min with him on the bench and +2 with him in the game. He's done it all except play consistently strong defense. That's why he gets a B for his play compared to expectations.

STARTERS:

Jamal Crawford: C+/B
He's still getting outplayed by opposing teams' SGs. He's gonna have to learn better shot selection, play better defense, and put on weight. I love his potential and his attitude seems good. I'm glad he's on the team, but he's not a great starting SG at this point.

Tim Thomas: F/F
No need for an explanation

Kurt Thomas: C/A
He's getting outplayed badly by opposing teams' starting PFs, but he's played his role as well as you could ask him to.

Nazy Mohammed: B+/A+
He's outplayed opposing teams' Cs and put up tremendous #s. His help defense needs improvement, although it has been improving a little.

RESERVES:

(The first grade is how the player is doing compared to what I think the average reserve at their position does; the second grade is how the player has done compared to my expectations for him)

Mike Sweetney: C+/C+
He's showing a lot of potential, but his rebounding and defense have been disappointing. He is outplaying PFs statistically if you check his numbers on 82games.com. I love his ability to get to the free-throw line. Like everyone else has said, he needs to lose weight. I thought he played with more energy toward the end of last season. I thought he also was playing better this year before he injured his thumb.

Trevor Ariza: B-/A
For a 19 year old 2nd round pick, he's been simply unbelievable.

JYD: B-/A
He's provided great energy, strong defense; he's done everything you could ask him to.

Penny Hardaway: C+/B-
He's been an okay role player. Nothing special. He deserves credit for playing through his himstring injury.

The other guys don't get enough playing time for me to grade them.

Lenny Wilkens: B He doesn't fire up the players, especially on defense, but I like his playing rotations. I think he's used a 10 man rotation very well.

Isiah: B+
He's done everything right except:
--Not using part of the MLE to sign Ariza and keep his Bird rights. Now in the best case scenario, we use part of the MLE to re-sign him, when we could have had the full MLE available for other FAs.
--Not get a cheap athletic frontcourt player who can block shots. There were some available like Loren Woods, who would have been a much better 12th man than Sundov.

Next summer and season are a real test for Isiah when the team has a 1st rd pick, $43 mil in expiring contracts, and the MLE and LLE.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/13/2004 15:06:49]
Allanfan20
USA
12/13/2004  3:11 PM
Small Fowards

Tim Thomas- (D-)- I say D- b/c LATELY, he has been putting up a decent effort, AT TIMES. But he's just so inconsistent and he slacks off on the transition D, ALL THE TIME. Lately, he's been more aggresive on offense, but he's still not producing much. The kid is just a mess right now. I hope he does better right now, but I'd rather see him coming off the bench from this point and foward.

Penny- (C+)- He's kinda inconsistent on both ends. He'll hit a big shot at times, and at other times, he'll take a really bad shot. He plays better D than most of our guards but he's nothing to brag about at this point. Nice player to have, but if we trade him, I wont complain.

Ariza- (A)- He has exceeded my expectations and provides a great spart off the bench. He seems to improve every game and his defense is pretty good too. He is a candidate to replace TT in the starting lineup. He wants to learn how to play the game the right way, and he's got a good head on his shoulders. He's a keeper.

Jerome- (B)- He can play the 3 or the 4. He is also a great spark off the bench, provies leadership and ALWAYS plays hard on defense and on the boards. I have been thrilled to have him, and he's the type of guy you want on a championship team. He's a good influence on the young guys as well.

Overall- (C+)- the offense isn't great, the defense isn't great, if you combine the 4, but there is promise on both ends. Ariza and Jerome always play hard and that's something to be happy about. TT gets to me though. I want to keep both Jerome and Ariza and see if we can use Penny as trade bait. He has an expiring contract next Summer.

[Edited by - Allanfan20 on 12/13/2004 15:50:50]
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/13/2004  3:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:

nobody is knocking his offense... the guy is the truth. Thats not the problem. The problem is Rafer Alston, Milt Palacio, Earl Watson and Tyron Lue lighting you up. Marbury losses his man away from the ball more than anyone else on the team, and everyone the plays against him knows it.

He can be Jesus Christ on offense but it doesnt matter if your a matador on the other end.

Yeah but I think he's no worse than he was last year defensively and he's definitely upped his game on the other end. I think he has stepped up as a leader a bit, and whatever success we've had is mostly because of him. I find it hard that you can grade him with C or C+.
Allanfan20
USA
12/13/2004  3:39 PM
Power Fowards and Centers

Kurt Thomas- (B+)- He too has stepped up as a leader and he has made a couple of improvements. He doesn't yap at the refs nearly as much, he isn't in foul trouble anymore and his clutch shooting has become something to brag about. His defense against agile bigs like Walker and Kenyon and Dirk isn't that good and doesn't get to the line at all, on offense. He needs to do that a little bit more. Maybe he will, now that Houston is back b/c he'll get a chance to post up a bit, with the extra spacing and all. We shall see.

Sweetney- (B)- The guy has some sick low post moves, he runs the floor well, is a good and tenacious rebounder and is a workhorse. However, he needs to lose weight, and stay there, b/c he's just not that good on defense yet. He's got time, and he'll be good, and he's helped us out so far. If we can get a real promising big man for him, though, than I would pull the trigger.

Nazr- (A)- He too, has exceeded my expectations and is becoming a beast on the boards. He is showing some nice offensive moves in the low post too. He officially has some game and some talent. His defense needs polishing and maybe he can bulk up just a little more over the Summer. I like what I see from him, and I don't want to trade him. He's very easy to root for, and has been fun to watch.

Baker- (F)- All we heard this Summer was how he's gonna be the comeback player of the year. I guess not though. All I have seen from him is jack up shots. Some of the good, some of them horrendous. He's really not worthy of much playing time at this point.

Overall- (B)- Our guys work hard, but the overall interior defense is just bad. We need a lot of help in that aspect. I am perfectly fine with the offense though.
Allanfan20
USA
12/13/2004  4:03 PM
Lenny and the rest of the coaching staff- (Somewhere between a C+ and a B)- Everyone is accountable for screwing up. If you play poorly, you are on the bench. If you are playing great, you are on the court. But the defense is bad and I give him partial blame for a lot of the players not playing hard enough on D'. He has to get the concept through there heads.

I love what Aguire has done with Nazr and Sweetney. I guess we can expect slow starts from Nazr though, b/c of Rhamadon. (Sp?)

Isiah Thomas- (B)- I love what he has done with the team. He's done everything we could ask of him. He got rid of Shanvis Eisleyspoon and got nice players in return. He's got young and promising players for us, and I like how he dealt with Houston. I cannot complain about him, but he still has work to do, particularly with the frontcourt. He can easily screw this team up, as quickly as he turned it around. I'm glad he said he's not going after Vince for Houston.

New York Knicks Overall- (C+) Our offense is complete, currently. We have everything we can ask for. A star shooter. A superstar PG. An up and coming 2 guard who can play a little point. Our energizers. A couple of up and coming post players. A pick and roll player. Guys who can hit clutch baskets. Guys who can go one on one. And we have very unselfish players.No complaints about the offense.

But our overall defense isn't good, and that's what is keeping us at 10-10. We need a shotblocker, our guards HAVE to improve and Ariza needs to continue to improve. We need an athletic big, like Marcus Camby who can play on the perimeter on D' AND block shots. He says he wants to come to NY. Thomas should go after him.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/14/2004  2:17 AM
Two keys for his development into an All-Star is patience and offseason training, Crawford’s frail frame needs ten pounds to stand the punishment from bigger stronger guards who give Crawford fits.

Crawf needs about 20 pounds of muscle he weighs like 150 for christs sake. I know putting on muscle isn't the easist thing in the world to do, but ****.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
12/14/2004  10:05 AM
Charley Rosen / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 11 hours ago
New York: C-

The Knicks are a classic .500 outfit — up one game, down the next. Tim Thomas and Jamal Crawford are their most erratic players, with Stephon Marbury not far behind. Meanwhile, New York has been waiting for Allan Houston longer than Vladimir and Estragon waited for Godot. If Houston's sharp-shooting might stabilize the Knicks' offense, he certainly won't improve their porous defense. The only thing that's keeping the Knicks' playoff hopes alive is the pitiful lack of competition in the Atlantic Division. To try and salvage the season, Isiah Thomas is sure to resort to some outrageous wheelings and dealings. Alas, nothing foreseeable can prevent New York's profound mediocrity from being terminal.

My opinion: Up one game, down the next... Partially from the schedule, partially from bad shooting nights, and mostly from a lack of a solid defense scheme (players are gambling for steals and not communicating).

NY should play more zone in order to make up for lack of size on the perimeter.

I also don't think the season is as lost as Charley put's it.
20 game report card

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy