[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Time for a poll!

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
Would you trade TT and Houston for Vince and Jalen?
Yes
No
Undecided
View Results

Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
USA
12/9/2004  7:40 PM
5 yes, 0 no. Who are all these "yes" people? I thought I was the only one who would take this risk (reluctantly).
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
12/9/2004  8:09 PM
I voted yes. TT hasn't shown me anything special this year and Houston hasn't played. I would gladly take Carter and Rose even if we put in JYD
franco12
Member: #599
USA
12/9/2004  8:11 PM
I guess maybe I haven't followed Jalen Rose's career closely- but every time I've watched him play (against the Knicks) he has exhibited an uncanny ability to shoot the lights out.

I'd worry about getting both Vince and Jalen- but, if we're giving up two wing players to get them back, that's fine.

Think about this- we're doing ok without Houston. TT now stands for Tiny Tim- and we'd replace him with Vince Carter and have Jalen for off the bench- yes, Fish, you now have another player that needs the ball to be effective- but, you'd have three players that you'd have to defend on the perimeter who have the ability to get into the paint.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
12/9/2004  8:22 PM
Before I would sign off on the traade, I would need to know if there is a young C that Isiah believes he has a reasonable chance of acquiring, and what assets would be required to get him.
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
12/9/2004  8:26 PM
It looks like I'm the only one that voted no, perhaps because I overvalue the importance a healthy Houston can make on any team. But I don't think I'd be opposed to it, because we'd only really be missing Houston.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/9/2004  9:01 PM
Posted by franco12:

I guess maybe I haven't followed Jalen Rose's career closely- but every time I've watched him play (against the Knicks) he has exhibited an uncanny ability to shoot the lights out.

i agree...Rose is a clutch shooter & he has very good post up skills & medium range game...he could be a very good piece to have...plus he can handle the ball & play point if needed...he & Penny would give us 2 very versatile cagey veterans off the bench who have been through many big playoff games in their careers...i don't see why everyone seems so down on this guy.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
12/9/2004  10:20 PM
I voted no. There's already a lot of Toronto threads so I'm just going to copy and paste my reason from another.

If we needed more scoring, or help in the backcourt, I would love the trade, but we don't, and it doesn't fill a big need for us. We need defense, either on the wing or in the post, doesn't matter. We just need defense.
I do see a need to upgrade at the 3 spot, but I would like someone who can impact the game who doesn't need 20 shots a night. I just assume use the contracts to bring in players that play D, or atleast have a decent all around game.
If we could swing Vince afterwards for that kind of player, it wouldn't be so bad, but then we would be stuck with Rose's contract.
Bonn1997
USA
12/9/2004  10:31 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

I voted no. There's already a lot of Toronto threads so I'm just going to copy and paste my reason from another.

If we needed more scoring, or help in the backcourt, I would love the trade, but we don't, and it doesn't fill a big need for us. We need defense, either on the wing or in the post, doesn't matter. We just need defense.
I do see a need to upgrade at the 3 spot, but I would like someone who can impact the game who doesn't need 20 shots a night. I just assume use the contracts to bring in players that play D, or atleast have a decent all around game.
If we could swing Vince afterwards for that kind of player, it wouldn't be so bad, but then we would be stuck with Rose's contract.
Vince is obviously not a great defender, but I think he is a better defender than either TT or Houston. I think this trade would be a small improvement in defense and a bigger improvement in offense.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/9/2004  10:47 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

MaTT, I responded to the other thread too, but I'll put it here to double my point.

As a GM for team who is in the middle to bottom half of the league, and one who certainly is in salary cap hell, you want to upgrade your talent base at every chance. Getting VC does that, or MAY do that. Does it address the Knicks' real weaknesses? No. Does it double other talents on the team? Yes. But you still do it because he is an all-star and a real bargaining chip for the next trade, which is the one that the GM is looking for.

Heck, would you turn down John Starks, Terry Cummings, and Chris Mills for Spreewell just because Houston was already on the team? No. Similar situation here.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/9/2004  11:36 PM
Penny and Rose on the roster? Thats a lot of Salary on the bench!
Bonn1997
USA
12/9/2004  11:41 PM
Posted by Nalod:

If you're concerned about profits, Vince would probably sell enough jerseys to pay for Rose's salary!
Nalod
USA
12/9/2004  11:49 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Nalod:

If you're concerned about profits, Vince would probably sell enough jerseys to pay for Rose's salary!

Bonnie, Being up in Raptor land, what is your take on Vince? You have seen him plenty, no? I see the highlight films and what I read, but you have seen lots of Raps games.
Ira
Member: #91
12/10/2004  4:31 AM
Of the two best players in that trade, Houston and Carter, Carter is much younger by about 6 years. Also, it's easier to play Marbury, Crawford and Carter together than it is to play Marbury, Crawford and Houston together. The cost of this would be to lose one expiring contract. I'd make that deal without hesitation. There's one problem - Toronto won't do it.
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
12/10/2004  7:05 AM
Posted by martin:

MaTT, I responded to the other thread too, but I'll put it here to double my point.

As a GM for team who is in the middle to bottom half of the league, and one who certainly is in salary cap hell, you want to upgrade your talent base at every chance. Getting VC does that, or MAY do that. Does it address the Knicks' real weaknesses? No. Does it double other talents on the team? Yes. But you still do it because he is an all-star and a real bargaining chip for the next trade, which is the one that the GM is looking for.

Heck, would you turn down John Starks, Terry Cummings, and Chris Mills for Spreewell just because Houston was already on the team? No. Similar situation here.

There is no question in my mind that this trade makes us better, but I can't help but feel we would be much better shopping around our contracts somewhere else (just would like to state, I really don't see Toronto taking H20, so I basically change him too Penny for trade talk purposes) .
If I could know for a fact that there aren't better options out there, then I wouldn't be so opposed to it, but that's impossible to know since things are always changing in this league.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
12/10/2004  7:39 AM
No.

vince is overrated, rose is a cancer.

we need D and none of them put us over the top in that sector.

we need post offense and noe of them can help us on that too.

TT is expirable next yr. Houston will help stabilize our backcourt rotation with his steady outside shooting. Craw and marb will provide more excitement than vince ever could.
Bonn1997
USA
12/10/2004  9:55 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Nalod:

Bonnie, Being up in Raptor land, what is your take on Vince? You have seen him plenty, no? I see the highlight films and what I read, but you have seen lots of Raps games.
My take on Vince? I definitely would NOT want him to be my franchise player. He's not a leader and he's not durable. However, I think he can be a good 2nd option. I would go after him if all we're giving up is TT and Houston. While it's true that Vince usually doesn't play good defense, I've seen him play great defense at times. If he's re-energized about being in NY, I think we'd see an improvement in all aspects of his game.

That said, I wouldn't offer Jamal for him. Jamal's more durable and will probably be more of an impact player a few years from now. Steph, Jamal, Ariza and Sweetney should be off-limits in any Carter trade. I would be willing to take back both Rose's and Alvin Williams' contracts and offer $3 mil in cash in exchange for TT and Houston. That gives the Raptors' a net savings of $40 mil over 4 years. It's hard to tell if any team would beat that offer. Teams really don't want Rose's contract.
Nalod
USA
12/10/2004  12:03 PM
Posted by raven:

No.

vince is overrated, rose is a cancer.

Sounds like a great base for a country western song!
Time for a poll!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy