[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NBA: Centers. We need a shot blocker with good defensive skills
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/9/2004  11:28 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Fish! answer these questions for me please, what is the Knicks biggest problem? do we have a shot blocker? and finally, how good is our defense?

Posted by fishmike:

Woods is a scrap heap player anyone could have had.

I dont see the Knicks making any major trades and I think they would be foolish to do so.

If Zeke could pull off a trade for a shot blocking, intimidating defensive center who prides himself in protecting our basket then I will give him props.
Ala a young Ervin Johnson. I wouldn't care if he avg 4 pts a game just some type of policeman in the paint.

At least then we could evaluate what individual players(on our roster) could play better defense, knowing a shot blocker is protecting the basket.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/9/2004  11:38 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Fish I am surprised by what you said. Next season, there will not be any talent available. That is why it is imperative to get a guy like Carter if he becomes available. I dont like Rose, but we can get rid of him. However, Carter and Wood for Houston, Kurt, and Penny is a good deal. I know that Wood is not part of the deal, but we can always request that he is part of it.
your talking out your cake hole. Your not getting rid of Rose, otherwise Toronto would have already. Another thing is you post on one thread every center in the NBA because we need post defense, yet your all about Carter who just gives us another guy who needs the ball. Not to mention the deal you mentioned isnt even close to working... there is this little thing called the cap and trades of players need to match salaries.

Playa, who's the bigmen your talking about? It seems Isiah's biggest knock is his failure to secure a legit defender in the post. But who has he passed on? He's been on the job for a year and has drasticly improved every position except SF. Nobody is saying we dont need (a lot) more but its going to take a little time.

Can you imagine Sheed on a losing NY team? Ratliff and Rahim couldnt win with Terry and Alan Henderson. Why are Eisley and KVH going to be different?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
playa2

12/9/2004  11:44 AM
Remember the young Ervin Johnson who played Center for the bucks few yrs back and now plays for the Timberwolves.

What I was suggesting is that we find a guy like Johnson with the ability he had as a youngster playing for the bucks. Not many points godd reb and defnder in the paint.

A natural policeman for our freeway where opposing team break the speed limit at will.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
12/9/2004  11:47 AM
We need Vince and Wood. Forget about Curry. He would want a big contract, while he has yet to prove that he is worthy. I like that Toronto deal, but we can't trade JYD. I don't care, we need him.

Ideal trade:
Kurt/Houston/Penny/Moochie

for

Vince/ I hate Rose/Loren Wood
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/9/2004  11:55 AM
Steven Hunter would be a nice pickup next year with the MLE (probably not the whole thing). He's a stiff on O but can do the things your talking about on D. Then you use Nazr, Houston's #2 and cash in a sign and trade to get Dalembert or Kwame Brown. If you have to throw in Moochie and take back a lousy deal like Kevin Ollie so be it.

It totally changes the dynamic of your frontcourt. Then you have two young 7 footers who can block shots, run the floor and guard the post.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
playa2

12/9/2004  12:08 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Steven Hunter would be a nice pickup next year with the MLE (probably not the whole thing). He's a stiff on O but can do the things your talking about on D. Then you use Nazr, Houston's #2 and cash in a sign and trade to get Dalembert or Kwame Brown. If you have to throw in Moochie and take back a lousy deal like Kevin Ollie so be it.

It totally changes the dynamic of your frontcourt. Then you have two young 7 footers who can block shots, run the floor and guard the post.

Exactly fish that is the route I would go. In the east it's imperative that we get 7fters on this roster.
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  12:19 PM
I would go with Dalembert before considering Kwame. Kwame is asking for a $70million contract, and I personally don't think that he is worth it. When you have a guard oriented team, it is not necessary to have a big name Center. Serviceable type of guys like JYD, but taller is what we need. a guy that can possibly grab 10boards per night and block 2 shots. Nazr is slowly slowly transforming into that mold, but we can use him at PF. Dalembert would be a nice addition, but we may have to give up too much for him. Toronto is ideal, because we would have a chance to rid ourselves with a couple of big contracts. I don't care how you all feel about Vince, but I still think that he is a better talent than Houston.
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
12/9/2004  12:34 PM
back to the topic of centres i want.............did you guys see gadzuric stuff shaq and knock his fat butt to the floor last night?

awsome.

i still say we pick up diop (for the future) and give him a year to work with the same coaches as sweets and nazr.

or

kurt thomas to dallas for booth and a first rounder. we need to start picking up some more picks (ariza).

i'd even take pryzbilla as a backup. he brings good rebounding and shotblocking with absolutley no offence.

i think right now we are stuck with finding a project centre. someone for our "big" coaches to work with.

lets face it, they turned nazr into a 13, 10 and 1 guy. aswell they turned him into a top 5 offensive rebounder in the league. this is why i say we should try to get diop from the cavs. he is very raw and could reap huge rewards with some time.
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  1:07 PM
Dude! are you french?

Posted by turtle33:

back to the topic of centres i want.............did you guys see gadzuric stuff shaq and knock his fat butt to the floor last night?

awsome.

i still say we pick up diop (for the future) and give him a year to work with the same coaches as sweets and nazr.

or

kurt thomas to dallas for booth and a first rounder. we need to start picking up some more picks (ariza).

i'd even take pryzbilla as a backup. he brings good rebounding and shotblocking with absolutley no offence.

i think right now we are stuck with finding a project centre. someone for our "big" coaches to work with.

lets face it, they turned nazr into a 13, 10 and 1 guy. aswell they turned him into a top 5 offensive rebounder in the league. this is why i say we should try to get diop from the cavs. he is very raw and could reap huge rewards with some time.
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
12/9/2004  1:52 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Dude! are you french?

Posted by turtle33:

awsome.

or

huh??????????
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/9/2004  2:43 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I think you overrate VC somewhat, and remember he comes with Jalen Rose attached to him. To me thats too much. We are a year away from getting out of Penny and TT's contracts and watching $30mm come off the books. I would rather use the $$ to buy draft picks than pay Jalen Rose to bitch about coming off the bench for the next 3 years, or to keep Ariza there. You gain one tradable asset but lose others. To me thats a wash. The best I can say about Woods is he's better than Baker.

I would rather wait, but thats just me
Fish, if the Knicks do the TT and Houston trade to get Vince and Rose, they will still have roughly $30 mil in expiring contracts next year. If you love the idea of letting expiring contracts come off the books, you can let all of them expire. They would have had closer to $43 mil if they kept TT. $30 mil is still A LOT, though. Also, if Vince is re-energized to be playing in NY and plays well, he'll have a lot more trade value than TT would (even if TT's contract is expiring). I'm not saying I love the trade rumor. I haven't really reached a final decision on it. (I also think it makes no sense from Toronto's perspective.) However, I have trouble agreeing with the reasons you stated above for not wanting to make the deal.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/09/2004 14:44:55]
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  2:55 PM
PLAYING FOR N.Y???????? a market where Nike rules??? that is plenty of incentive for Air SOON 2 B N.Y to bring his A game every night. Let's not forget that he will not have to carry a team by himself. With Marb, Crawf, Nazr, and maybe another studd, he will have ample amount of guys to provide plenty of support. Forget about Houston, we never won a championship with him. Shaq got traded, Houston can definitely and should definitely get a kick in the rear end.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/9/2004  3:21 PM
I would love to bring in Dalembert or Gadzuric (both have been named), but another guy I wouldn't mind is Battie. He's averaging 1.12 bpg in under 20 mpg.

As for the Toronto side discussion, I want to start off by saying it would be unlikely we send Houston as his contract basically negates Rose's.
Second of all, even if they would accept, I would be against it. We need some defense, and that trade doesn't exactly cater our needs, especially with VC hurting himself the other day.
If you want the trade because VC is more tradeable and can get us a defensive big, is it worth taking back Rose's contract? Why not just cut out the middle man and shop our expiring contracts around, and see what they can get us?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/9/2004  4:35 PM
For people who are opposed to this trade because they don't want Jalen Rose's contract, let me ask this: What's worse--three years of Jalen Rose or three years of Shandon Anderson, who we would have had if Isiah hadn't bought out his contract? At least Rose can contribute.
MaTT4281
USA
12/9/2004  4:54 PM
I would go with choice C, which is of course, neither. But Rose's contract is almost twice the size of Shandon's. Luckily for us, Shandon is already gone.
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  6:57 PM
why should we consider Rose as a bad apple? I don't understand. As long as he produces, who cares.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2636

LAST 5 GAMES | COMPLETE GAME LOG REBOUNDS
DATE OPP RESULT MIN FG 3P FT STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
12/1
@Orl
L 129-108 26 6-13 0-1
3-4

12/3
@Bos
L 91-89 36 7-13 2-4
3-4

12/4
@Cle
L 105-97 26 4-11 0-1
1-1

12/6
@Njn
L 88-86 33 2-11 0-1
4-4

12/8
@Det
L 90-86 36 5-16 0-4
6-6

Numbers for Last 5 Games 31.4 24-64 2-11 17-19 0.6 0.0 2.6 2.2 0.8 3.2 4.0 2.6 13.4
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/9/2004  8:55 PM
i honestly don't understand all the disdain for Jalen Rose...he's a proven clutch performer in the postseason, & he's very versatile...he's like a left handed Penny w/a better jumpshot & posting skills...there are malcontent issues, but what good player doesn't want to play if he thinks he can contribute more? i think he would do fine in NY...& if he doesn't, who cares? you're still getting back Vince Carter in the deal.

basically, all you're adding in terms of salary in the deal is 1 extra year of max money...getting rid of Allan Houston's contract was something everyone on this board could never have even dreamt about just a few days ago...of course, i still don't buy into these rumors fully since i would guess TOR would want Marbury or Crawford instead, but if there's any truth to the rumors at all, i can't see how anyone could be against the deal.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  9:53 PM
I feel you my friend. However, I come to the conclusion that there are two types of Knicks fans on this board: those who care deeply about the Knicks and those who adore a certain player I.E. Houston and Kurt Thomas. So, that's what's up.

Posted by TMS:

i honestly don't understand all the disdain for Jalen Rose...he's a proven clutch performer in the postseason, & he's very versatile...he's like a left handed Penny w/a better jumpshot & posting skills...there are malcontent issues, but what good player doesn't want to play if he thinks he can contribute more? i think he would do fine in NY...& if he doesn't, who cares? you're still getting back Vince Carter in the deal.

basically, all you're adding in terms of salary in the deal is 1 extra year of max money...getting rid of Allan Houston's contract was something everyone on this board could never have even dreamt about just a few days ago...of course, i still don't buy into these rumors fully since i would guess TOR would want Marbury or Crawford instead, but if there's any truth to the rumors at all, i can't see how anyone could be against the deal.
MaTT4281
USA
12/9/2004  10:10 PM
If we needed more scoring, or help in the backcourt, I would love the trade, but we don't, and it doesn't fill a big need for us. We need defense, either on the wing or in the post, doesn't matter. We just need defense.
I do see a need to upgrade at the 3 spot, but I would like someone who can impact the game who doesn't need 20 shots a night. I just assume use the contracts to bring in players that play D, or atleast have a decent all around game.
If we could swing Vince afterwards for that kind of player, it wouldn't be so bad, but then we would be stuck with Rose's contract.
diderotn
USA
12/9/2004  10:15 PM
Isiah is not stupid, if he does this deal is because he sees something that he may do later. Give the man the benefit of the doubt. He has done us well so far, allow him to continue on with the upgrade

Posted by MaTT4281:

If we needed more scoring, or help in the backcourt, I would love the trade, but we don't, and it doesn't fill a big need for us. We need defense, either on the wing or in the post, doesn't matter. We just need defense.
I do see a need to upgrade at the 3 spot, but I would like someone who can impact the game who doesn't need 20 shots a night. I just assume use the contracts to bring in players that play D, or atleast have a decent all around game.
If we could swing Vince afterwards for that kind of player, it wouldn't be so bad, but then we would be stuck with Rose's contract.
NBA: Centers. We need a shot blocker with good defensive skills

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy