[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Possible NJ and Memphis trade
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/7/2004  1:21 PM
A roster shuffle is not only prudent but could include Jason Williams, whose name has recently appeared in various nationally reported trade speculations. The point guard is now available given his longtime defensive deficiencies and abrupt disconnect with two Grizzly coaches in three-plus seasons.

Plus, not even a coaching change has detracted from the Grizzlies' need for more size and toughness on the frontline. Packaging Williams with another veteran player or a young prospect may allow the Griz to acquire an imposing physical force to place next to budding forward Pau Gasol.

The Griz were manhandled on the road last Saturday in a loss to the Orlando Magic.

More important, Williams's act has worn thin with the franchise.

Although he is revered for playing mostly under control since joining the Griz, Williams is just as reviled for a perception that he's quit in games and helped to create internal discord.

A divorce may be necessary and mutual.

Recent reports out of New York suggest that point guard Jason Kidd's (knee surgery rehab) return Monday night to the New Jersey Nets lineup could instigate a deal. The Nets' new ownership group likes Williams for the main reason the Griz did when they moved here from Vancouver: His fan appeal.

Perhaps the Griz could entice New Jersey with a larger package that includes multiple Grizzlies for Kidd and Alonzo Mourning, who, along with Kidd, hasn't been shy in a desire to play elsewhere.

Griz president Jerry West stood at Mourning's doorstep on the eve of free agency two years ago before Mourning decided to play for the Nets.

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/7/2004  1:34 PM
Kidd & Zo for Toblerone, Bonzi & Swift would work.

C - Zo / Wright / Jake
PF - Gasol / Cardinal / Outlaw
SF - Battier / Posey
SG - Miller / ?
PG - Kidd / Watson

not bad...definitely a playoff contender at the very least...& NJ would get a young player w/an expiring deal in Swift & Bonzi has a team option after this season as well...add those 3 to a team w/RJ, Eric Williams, & Aaron Williams, & you suddenly have a young, dynamic, talented team to work with instead of 1 w/2 aging veterans w/longterm contracts who no longer want to play there.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
12/7/2004  2:19 PM
That would be a good deal for both teams.

Williams, Bonzi, Jefferson, Swift has the potential to make sportscenter top players every game.

Add in 6 first rd picks in the next 3yrs. They probably couldn't afford to resign Bonzi & Swift though, with Williams & Jefferson locked up. They probably could resign Swift and let Bonzi walk and go after McCants in the draft. Or Trade Bonzi at the deadline for another pick.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/7/2004  2:21 PM
I thought Stro Swift couldn't be traded this year because of his contract?
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/7/2004  5:04 PM
Jerry west smelled a little bit of that playoff money and he wants to go a lil further with Kidd and Zo.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/7/2004  5:08 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I thought Stro Swift couldn't be traded this year because of his contract?

?

Any player can be traded, except after they have just been traded.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/7/2004  5:28 PM
There is a waiting period where a team cannot trade a player if htey just signed a free agent contract. I'm not exactly sure how long that waiting period is, but I think it ends in December or so.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
12/7/2004  5:49 PM
I think Bonn is right. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a rule that basically says that if you sign a one year qualifying offer after being a free agent, and the team that gave you that qualifying offer has your full bird rights, then you cannot be traded that season.

I guess I'am wrong though because I haven't found anything about this rule. I could have sworn I heard about it somewhere, but oh well, I guess Swift can be traded this season.

[Edited by - s3231 on 12/07/2004 18:02:17]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/7/2004  6:19 PM
Posted by s3231:

I think Bonn is right. If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is a rule that basically says that if you sign a one year qualifying offer after being a free agent, and the team that gave you that qualifying offer has your full bird rights, then you cannot be traded that season.

I guess I'am wrong though because I haven't found anything about this rule. I could have sworn I heard about it somewhere, but oh well, I guess Swift can be traded this season.

[Edited by - s3231 on 12/07/2004 18:02:17]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he can't be traded this year because he signed a qualifying offer. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
Possible NJ and Memphis trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy