[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

our old buddy at it again...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/7/2004  9:42 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/12/07/bc.bkn.timberwolves.sprewell.ap/index.html

Sprewell responded to the female heckler with a sexually vulgar term, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported in its Tuesday editions.

The comment was apparently picked up by a courtside microphone and was broadcast by Los Angeles television station KTLA and by the Timberwolves' broadcast on KSTC television in Minnesota.

nice...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/7/2004  9:56 AM
LOL!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/7/2004  10:37 AM
This time I might side with Spree.

At what point do these hecklers not get a talking back to? I don't know how hard she was riding him, and he is certainly no angel, but fans are stepping over the lines.

We see it from parents at the kids levels, all the way to the pro's.

I am disgusted with what I hear from parents. They really need to get a life.

There must be a line and if security cannot control these idiots, then players have a right to VERBALLY defend themselves. Maybe not to suggest they perform oral intercourse with them, but to be quiet, or request security intervene.

With the kind of hate that is spewed on them, no wonder they are not always friendly to the public.

I really want to know how out of line this women was.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/7/2004  10:54 AM
Posted by Nalod:

This time I might side with Spree.

At what point do these hecklers not get a talking back to? I don't know how hard she was riding him, and he is certainly no angel, but fans are stepping over the lines.

We see it from parents at the kids levels, all the way to the pro's.

I am disgusted with what I hear from parents. They really need to get a life.

There must be a line and if security cannot control these idiots, then players have a right to VERBALLY defend themselves. Maybe not to suggest they perform oral intercourse with them, but to be quiet, or request security intervene.

With the kind of hate that is spewed on them, no wonder they are not always friendly to the public.

I really want to know how out of line this women was.

Sprewell is a classless fool, what ever is said to him he deserves it.

Over the yrs he has wooed many knick fans, but what he has to do is shut up and play the game.
The profession he's in is a lot tamer to what it used to be. They had a cage around the court back in the day from stopping fans from getting at the players.

In Europe batteries and lighters are throw on the court at players.

Verbal abuse is common , just ask the football players coming out of the tunnel in oppossing teams stadiums.

So many ism's create the verbal abuse in sports arenas, when you get paid big bucks you need to go out and buy some thick skin!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/7/2004  10:59 AM
i don't see anything wrong w/banter going back & forth between the fans & players...it's what makes the NBA unique from all the other sports, the intimacy aspect & interaction...

obviously, somethings that are said are way out of line like poking fun at a player's family tragedy or something of that nature, but banning simple cursing & use of obscenities at a sporting event is going overboard imo...kids are going to hear stuff whether they're at a game or in the street or even at school hanging out with their friends at lunchbreak...you can't shield them from hearing any & every offending term or phrase...& as for the fans, if they can't handle some obscenity being thrown back at them, they should keep their mouths shut too.

going into the stands is 1 thing, but i could really care less if Sprewell told some lady to suck his you know what...i'm sure there are plenty of us who shout similar things when some lady cuts us off on the highway too.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
12/7/2004  12:37 PM
I'm not paid 14 million to be on TV in front of a national audience while I'm on the highway. Sprewell isnt just playing a game, he's entertaining people by doing so and there is an appropriate code of conduct when doing so. If he wanted to piss her off he should have blown her kisses and made a play. She got the best of him and now he looks like an ass. (more than before)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/7/2004  1:15 PM
A parents perspective is do I want my 7-8 year old to sit in front of some fat slob drunk whom is so loud and overbearing that the majority of people around him cannot enjoy the game? Spewing profanity in rage is not acceptable for any spectator event. Movies, Broadway, and sports should be different.

If a spectator pays big money must they be subjective to over the top racial or explicit profanity from other fans?

Sports thru the generations are about family entertainment.

Im not saying zero tolerance, but there is a violent element to some peoples antics that make it very disruptive.

Sorry, what happens in real life is to be expected, but if paying money to see a ball game, I think there are limits.

TMS
USA
12/7/2004  1:16 PM
who cares...as if Lawrence Taylor or Michael Jordan never uttered a profane word during a nationally televised game? please...

i thought Spree's conduct was immature & moronic when he came to MSG to showboat & taunt James Dolan, but i don't think he was worthy of any punishment over it...& i hold the same opinion on this case as well...as long as he's not going into the stands to physically confront anyone or throwing anything into the crowd, he can act as immature & moronic as he pleases as far as i'm concerned...do i respect his behavior? no, but i don't think it's that big a deal to warrant any sort of formal punishment.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
12/7/2004  1:45 PM
honestly I do. In football the players arent close to the fans, but its irrelevent. When do you draw the line? Its not about athlete vs. fan, its about representing your league. If NBA players cant rise above that act like professionals the league will deserve the labels its earning now.

How sad is it that games need to be tape delayed because players cant refrain from using profanity at people in the stands?

Pretty sad...
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/7/2004  2:06 PM
A little profanity never hurt anyone. Players should be required to curse at fans!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/07/2004 14:07:12]
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/7/2004  2:32 PM
spree is the man
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/7/2004  3:09 PM
Why do I want to say that fan is somehow related to Dolan?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/7/2004  3:28 PM
Posted by fishmike:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/12/07/bc.bkn.timberwolves.sprewell.ap/index.html

Sprewell responded to the female heckler with a sexually vulgar term, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported in its Tuesday editions.

The comment was apparently picked up by a courtside microphone and was broadcast by Los Angeles television station KTLA and by the Timberwolves' broadcast on KSTC television in Minnesota.

nice...

my son and I were watching that game, and we heard it loud and clear, my son was shocked, he looked at me and said" Do players talk like that on the court?" and concluded" man I thought spreewell was a nice guy" that kind of crap pisses me off, that was a classless comment by spree, in such a close heated game, why is he paying attention to the fans in the stands?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
12/7/2004  3:28 PM
players have been cursing at fans & vice versa for alot longer than Spree's been in the league...i don't think you should use Spree to set some kind of example & not do a thing about Michael Jordan or Reggie Miller calling Spike Lee his "bitch" or worse...isn't he a "fan" too? i'm sure there are plenty of kids sitting around courtside too that could hear the banter going back & forth...to me, that part of the game is entertaining & it's what makes rivalries all the more interesting...

again, as long as it doesn't go overboard w/things being thrown or players & fans getting into physical altercations, & the comments don't cross the line as far as hitting players below the belt referring to family situations & racial slurs, i don't see really see any need to address this issue to the point of issuing any formal punishments to any particular player.

Spree acting like an idiot doesn't warrant him being punished unless he crosses that line imho...that doesn't mean i appreciate some of the things he does though.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/7/2004  3:32 PM
I thought we were pretty safe being at home and watching the game on TV, I really didn't want that comming into my living room, I mean I also had my 2 year old daughter in there, she can repeat just about anything now, we don't need that at all, spree should conduct himself better, the same goes with the fans....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
12/7/2004  3:32 PM
that said, i have no kids so maybe i can't appreciate this from a parent's point of view.
fishmike
USA
12/7/2004  4:16 PM
by the way the league just suspended him for a game without pay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1940678

taking food right out of his kid's mouth.... just aint right
TMS
USA
12/7/2004  4:17 PM
lol
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/7/2004  5:11 PM
Posted by fishmike:

by the way the league just suspended him for a game without pay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1940678

taking food right out of his kid's mouth.... just aint right

Now lets see if he tells someone else to take his Johnson.

Good I'm glad they gaged him for one game.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
our old buddy at it again...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy