[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Nazy's ideal position and role
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2004  10:42 AM
Obviously on our roster, he needs to be the starting center, but what do you think is the ideal role for Nazy on a winning (or even elite) team. First, Is he a PF or a C? He's not really quick enough to guard some PFs but he's not a good enough shot-blocker/alterer to play center. Second, Is he a starter or a reserve?

I'm thinking his ideal role might be a combo PF/C player coming in off of a team's bench for about 12 mpg at each position (PF and C). However, he doesn't really provide what you want from your frontcourt bench players (solid defense and any scoring is a bonus). He also seems more effective when he gets more minutes. If you reduced him to a bench player, he might not be as effective when on the court as he is now. Nazy's obviously an NBA caliber player, but I can't figure out what the ideal role is for him on a winning team.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/5/2004  10:47 AM
I really like Nazr as a backup C. Unfortunately for us, he has to be our starter, unless Sweets can emerge soon enough, pushing KT to C.
He is a nice, low-post option, but we need some defense at that position.
But hey, atleast we have Nazr for right now, we would be extremely lost without him.
Bonn1997
USA
12/5/2004  10:52 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:

I really like Nazr as a backup C. Unfortunately for us, he has to be our starter, unless Sweets can emerge soon enough, pushing KT to C.
He is a nice, low-post option, but we need some defense at that position.
But hey, atleast we have Nazr for right now, we would be extremely lost without him.
But a pure backup center gets about 13 mpg. Is that really the only role you think Nazy should have?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/5/2004  11:02 AM
I guess I wouldn't mind him playing at some backup PF either, but it all depends on the team's needs. Idealy, I like Nazr in the game for about, give or take 15-20(so about 17) min. Not trying to knock him anyway, he has shown he is capable to playing 35, sometimes 40 minutes, a night, but I feel that you generally want strong D from that position.

I just don't normally associate Nazr as a PF, seeing as he is basically the only C we have (sorry Vin, but you're butt isn't leavin the bench). Reflex.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2004  12:38 PM
Nazr does well in a motion situation.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/5/2004  6:47 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Nazr does well in a motion situation.

Yeah.

He's very alert out there and he knows his role is to rebound and eat off of Marbs and Craw. He's doing his job.

The Knicks need a post threat. I'd hate to lose KT's jumper and Nazr's rebounding and positioning. Sweetney is the X factor. Sweetney needs to push KT off the court. KT is the one that should be coming off the bench. Sweetney has been coming in to help on defense with some pretty prolific blocks. Sweets inside scoring has been awesome at times. His ability to get to the line is uncanny.

Back to Nazr.....he's already playing in his ideal role.

Sweetney needs to step it up and play like he did in Memphis everynight and comand 35 minutes of play and reduce KT to what his strenghts are and that is being a change of pace player with his jumper off the bench.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
12/5/2004  10:25 PM
i have no problem at all w/nazr starting, particularly if he keeps playing the way he has as of late. not all teams have a "prolific" shotblocking center. we have a center that's putting up better numbers than many of the centers in the league, and plays good defense. maybe we can concentrate on a shotblocking power forward, like chris anderson, marcus camby, kenyon martin type players.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/5/2004  10:31 PM
i'd rather see KT on the bench not Nazr. But right now. today, it's best to start Nszr and Kurt
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/6/2004  11:05 AM
i'd play him just the way he's being played right now...if the Knicks had a high energy shotblocking guy like Chris Anderson, Stromile Swift or Dan Gadzuric to come off the bench, i think Nazr would be a nice fit going forward...but if you can get a guy like Curry or Kwame to develop for the future, i'd start them & have Nazr come off the bench.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
12/6/2004  12:03 PM
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my question in this post. I'm NOT asking what role Nazy should have on this team. I'm asking what his ideal role would be in the NBA more generally. Or what role should he have on a championship level team.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/6/2004  12:07 PM
he'd be a role player on a championship level team...same role that JYD or Sweetney has now.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/6/2004  2:33 PM
Posted by TMS:

he'd be a role player on a championship level team...same role that JYD or Sweetney has now.

Nazr could start on alot of teams.......the way th eKnicks are playing him now is how he should be played. His post game is arratic.

Like I said they got him living off of put backs and whatever Craw and Marbs give him. That's how you use Nazr.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
12/6/2004  3:21 PM
Nazr is better suited as a PF and backup Center, that is why I have constantly asked for Kurt to be traded for a defensive big man if possible. Kurt is older and has already reached his max, so losing him will not hurt our squad. I truly don't know why most folks are so googoo gaga about Kurt as a defender. He can't guard the PFs of this league, not even the rookie Okafor, and he definitely can't guard the mobile Centers either. I have said this many times, for our team to have a little defensive identity, the PF position to be able to defend and provide a little postup presence every game. Yes, we get the 16 to 18' jumper from Kurt, but that is not enough. He is an average rebounder, and that is good, but he doesn't represent the defensive force necessary that we need. If we move Nazr to PF, and trade Kurt and other for a shot-blocker/post-up center, and a mobile Center, it will benefit our perimeter/jump shooting players a lot more. The time has come for Isiah to pull the trigger on Kurt for either Curry/Chandler/Haywood/Swift/etc.

Posted by gunsnewing:

i'd rather see KT on the bench not Nazr. But right now. today, it's best to start Nszr and Kurt
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
USA
12/6/2004  3:43 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Nazr is better suited as a PF and backup Center, that is why I have constantly asked for Kurt to be traded for a defensive big man if possible. Kurt is older and has already reached his max, so losing him will not hurt our squad. I truly don't know why most folks are so googoo gaga about Kurt as a defender. He can't guard the PFs of this league, not even the rookie Okafor, and he definitely can't guard the mobile Centers either. I have said this many times, for our team to have a little defensive identity, the PF position to be able to defend and provide a little postup presence every game. Yes, we get the 16 to 18' jumper from Kurt, but that is not enough. He is an average rebounder, and that is good, but he doesn't represent the defensive force necessary that we need. If we move Nazr to PF, and trade Kurt and other for a shot-blocker/post-up center, and a mobile Center, it will benefit our perimeter/jump shooting players a lot more. The time has come for Isiah to pull the trigger on Kurt for either Curry/Chandler/Haywood/Swift/etc.

Posted by gunsnewing:

I don't know if Nazy is quick enough to guard most *starting* PFs. I wouldn't be against trading Kurt now when his value is high, though. I think it's in the long-term interests of the team.
Nazy's ideal position and role

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy