[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

this is how you play basketball
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/4/2004  11:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200412040446

you have to get guys who are physically-athleticlly and mentally tough enough to play at a high intensity IN YOUR FACE DEFENSE for a whole game. This is what the knicks used to be. I dontcare what sport it is basketball football hockey--the teams that are good--chamionpions always have those types of players--the toughest, relentless type. now you cant do that in the NBA, but being last in the ENTIRE NBA shows you just so far we have to climb. we need guys who are willing to play at a high intensity--a john stakrs charles oakley level. we need guys like that, we need strong athletic TOUGH players. CBB is such a better brand of basketball[for the most part} than the NBA because of NBA talent dilution caused by the continued expansion.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
12/4/2004  11:07 PM
I dont agree with you much Briggs but this time I have to agree with you
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/4/2004  11:16 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

you have to get guys who are physically-athleticlly and mentally tough enough to play at a high intensity IN YOUR FACE DEFENSE for a whole game. This is what the knicks used to be. I dontcare what sport it is basketball football hockey--the teams that are good--chamionpions always have those types of players--the toughest, relentless type. now you cant do that in the NBA, but being last in the ENTIRE NBA shows you just so far we have to climb. we need guys who are willing to play at a high intensity--a john stakrs charles oakley level. we need guys like that, we need strong athletic TOUGH players. CBB is such a better brand of basketball[for the most part} than the NBA because of NBA talent dilution caused by the continued expansion.

Yeah... True... This is definitely not the last version we are going to se of the Isiah's Knicks. We definitely need that defensive mentality. Just like this team, thats a work in progress. At least we have an exciting team that can win when they concentrate and respect their opponent. Tonight we definitely did neither. Its a very clear fact that we are not a good defensive team when we don't concentrate our hardest to play defense. It isn't cool to score 101 points but letting the other team score 107, for example. We can't rely on our offense to win us games if we are going to forget everything about defense.

...boooo!
Knicks_Fan
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
12/5/2004  6:17 AM
This team can be fun to watch. But, I've been followinging the Knicks a long time and this is the worst defensive Knicks team I can rember. It's tempting to blame the coach and I do believe he deserves some of the discredit but it's more then that in my opinion.

Marbs - Has never been as good on defense as his athletic ability would lead you to believe he should be - average at best.

Crawford - Has been a bad defensive player for the whole of his short career and his defensive upside is limited somewhat by his lack of strength.

TT - Just an awful defensive player - lack of effort and know-how and also seems very slow this year.

KT - I've seen KT play good defense and on a good defensive team I think he is a good defender. He knows how to defend, helps well fights for position but does not have the physical tools to be a clamp down man on man defender. On a team with no shot blockers and no help defense he's average.

Naz - No shot blocking ability not a great help defender and not a great or good or even average man on man defender. I think if he works real hard at it he can get to average.

Sweets - A second year guy with slow feet. Actually, one of the Knicks better shot blockers but overall a bad defensive player.

Aziz - Looks like he has the ability to eventually be a good defensive player - but that's a ways off. For now less then average.

Penny - Too much wear on the engine to consistently play good defense - but better then the guys he backs up.

Dog - Works hard, on a good defensive team can be better then average. But he also does not have the athletic ability to be a clamp down defender.

Overall we have a team that has less then average defensive ability, less then average defensive desire and seems to have no discernable defensive system.
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
12/6/2004  5:02 AM
Regardless of the player's defensive ability, coaches need to coach defense and players need to work hard at it. I'm not disappointed because the Knicks aren't a great defensive team. I'm disappointed because they aren't as good a defensive team as they could be. There is enough blame to go around in this.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
12/6/2004  6:39 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Talent dilution and a lack of fundamentals as a result of so many college underclassman and high school players entering the NBA.

In the absence of high intensity defensive players, a team needs a coach that teaches it and demands its implementation from every player. Wilkens is not that guy.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/6/2004  8:47 AM
Add the constant movement of player personel and the always playing for contract selfish environment.

The 1990's knicks might not be the best benchmark. The intensity was there, but they struggled to score points at times. The game would stop so patrick could get his touch's.

The defensive lapses are the same as what was experienced during preseason. Except they are getting less frequent, and thats an improvement.

Think back guys, last spring it was understood it would take a few years. This team is in the neighborhood and can compete with anyone at any time. That itself is a big improvement.

Anything more is Isiah doing what he is supposed to do which is keep fan involvement hopeful and fill the seats.

Trade rumors also add to the "Fan Involvement". Sound familiar?
this is how you play basketball

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy