Another NEWYORKER with a screw loose???
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/4/2004  9:09 AM
Rafer Alston says he needs time to think about return

By Jimmy Golen, The Associated Press

BOSTON — Toronto Raptors coach Sam Mitchell benched Loren Woods and Rafer Alston after each was charged with technical fouls against the Boston Celtics on Friday night, and Alston said he might not want to come back at all.
"We were playing well, moving the ball, and we had semi-control of the game. Then two of our players' immaturity showed up," Mitchell said after the 91-89 loss at Boston. "I didn't even want to look at them. It was inexcusable how they conducted themselves."

Toronto led by nine points at the start of the third, but Boston had cut it to six when Woods was called for two quick fouls in the final two minutes of the quarter. Alston objected by throwing the ball downcourt, resulting in the first technical.

Woods chimed in and got a technical of his own. Paul Pierce made just one of the technical foul shots, but Boston continued to close the gap and took the lead early in the fourth, with Alston and Woods out of the game.

"We could have used them both, but I wasn't going to let either one of them back in the game," Mitchell said. "These guys cannot conduct themselves like that in front of 19,000 people and get rewarded by playing. You cannot do your coaches and teammates like that."

Woods was repentant, saying, "I let the emotions get the best of me. I lost it, and I lost the game for us."

But Alston said he wanted to take some time to think about his career.

"It's tough right now for me," he said. "I'm going to talk to Sam and (general manager Rob Babcock). I think it's time. I'm tired of getting into it with my teammates and my coaches. I don't know if I'm a good fit for this team and I don't know if I'm a good fit for this league.

"I'm going to take some time off. I might not even play the rest of the season."

Mitchell said neither would start Saturday's game against Cleveland, "without a doubt."

"I don't know when they will be back in," the coach said. "We are supposed to be professionals. Nobody has the right to do that in a close game. They embarrassed themselves and the Toronto Raptors."

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/4/2004  12:54 PM
lol skip to my looooooooooooooooooooooooo i love sam mitchell
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
12/4/2004  12:59 PM
Sam Mitchell...good for him. More coaches and organizations should stand up to the players sillyness and hold them accountable.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/4/2004  1:01 PM
Sam might be treating these kids like college boys.

No doubt a dumb T is a dumb T, but lets get real here.

Likewise, Rafer gonna make 30mil with And1?

Let him go work a few days outside of basketball with those stellar credentials he has and he'll be back.

Rafer, play NBA ball a few years, don't spend all you money, and sit on your ass the rest of you life.
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
12/4/2004  2:17 PM
Yeah, Mitchell's holding these guys to a different standard than most NBA coaches do ... and he's doing it publicly ... but that that doesn't make him wrong. I wish all coaches would respond like this when their players do stupid things to cost their teams. I'd like to see Lenny get on Timmy Genious once in a while for not hutling back on D after he turns the ball over ... it's the same kind of a thing. Yeah, you're disappointed in yourself. That doesn't justify loafing.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/4/2004  5:00 PM
Love is in the air in Toronto!
Knicks_Fan
Another NEWYORKER with a screw loose???

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy