[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Could Face a True Test of Strength (ny times)
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
12/3/2004  5:03 AM
Knicks Could Face a True Test of Strength
By BILL FINLEY

Published: December 3, 2004

REENBURGH, N.Y., Dec. 2 - The Knicks are hot, but is that a result of a soft stretch in their schedule or improved play and cohesion on the court?

That question may be better answered Friday night when the Knicks meet Orlando, their first opponent with a winning record since they beat Cleveland, 98-88, on Nov. 21.

"They are playing great right now," Knicks Coach Lenny Wilkens said of the Magic on Thursday. "We seem to be coming up against tests all the time. But this is another test, against a nice squad that is playing well."

Orlando has won five of its last seven games and is 9-5. While winning four of their past five games, the Knicks (8-6) have met five opponents with sub.-500 records. Two of those victories came against Atlanta, which has won twice. The Knicks' record against winning teams is 2-4.

That does not mean the Knicks have not been playing well lately. Wilkens said he was pleased with the play of reserves like Mike Sweetney, Anfernee Hardaway, Trevor Ariza and Jerome Williams. Wilkens said he had also been impressed with an improved defense.

"We're getting stops when we need them," Kurt Thomas said. "We've been sharing the ball on offense and feeding off each other."

The defense will be tested by Orlando, which recorded the highest point total in the N.B.A. this season with a 129-108 victory over Toronto on Wednesday.

Several players are thriving for Orlando this season. In his first year with the Magic, Steve Francis is having a superb season. The 19-year-old rookie Dwight Howard is leading the team with 11.3 rebounds a game and is averaging 9.8 points. Cuttino Mobley is back after missing nine games with a groin injury and scored 16 points in 14 minutes Wednesday. And Grant Hill has made a remarkable comeback from career-threatening ankle surgery and is averaging 19.9 points.

"He's better now than ever," Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury said of Hill. "He may not be as explosive, but what he's doing for that team is to give everyone life."

After the Orlando game, the Knicks will again face a series of weak opponents: Charlotte, Memphis and New Orleans, all with records well under .500.

But all three games are on the road, where the Knicks are 2-5.

"It all begins with defense and mental toughness," Wilkens said. "When you're on the road, it's always hard mentally. The other team is going to be more comfortable.

"Mentally, you've got to believe you can win and play your best basketball."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/03/sports/basketball/03knicks.html

>>> this is kinda true. it's cool to beat the teams we're "supposed" to beat (talent-wise i mean). But we also have to beat some more serious teams. I'd like to see the knicks beat orlando tonight. Would be a great proof of improvement and a nice step in the good direction.

AUTOADVERT
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

12/3/2004  7:49 AM
This game will tell the story on how well Nazr Mohammed has improved.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
12/3/2004  8:16 AM
Nazr will have to deal with two monsters tonight: Cato and HOward are both beasts. Kurt will have to show up and play very well, by rebounding and scores at least 10 points. Marb will be hyped, because Francis and his idol Hill will be in the house. I expect the Knicks to showup in full force.

Posted by playa2:

This game will tell the story on how well Nazr Mohammed has improved.
The true Knickabocker..........
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/3/2004  8:25 AM
[quote]
Posted by diderotn:

Nazr will have to deal with two monsters tonight: Cato and HOward are both beasts. Kurt will have to show up and play very well, by rebounding and scores at least 10 points. Marb will be hyped, because Francis and his idol Hill will be in the house. I expect the Knicks to showup in full force.[quote][

Good point. I love this kid Howard. But I'm real surprised at Cato. I never thought much of him but he's really showing up this year. Man Orlando is this year's version of last year's Nuggets.
diderotn
USA
12/3/2004  8:46 AM
Marburry will be in red alert tonight. He loves the challenge between he and Francis. I just hope that he doesn't over do it. If he keeps his assists and scores about 20, and Nazr and the crew crash the board as they have been doing as of late, we will be ok. That boy Howard is awesome. TT will have his hands full with Hill, that is where JYD will come and shut him down. Ariza will have a monster night also, and watch out for Penny.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2004  9:42 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Marburry will be in red alert tonight. He loves the challenge between he and Francis. I just hope that he doesn't over do it. If he keeps his assists and scores about 20, and Nazr and the crew crash the board as they have been doing as of late, we will be ok. That boy Howard is awesome. TT will have his hands full with Hill, that is where JYD will come and shut him down. Ariza will have a monster night also, and watch out for Penny.

Whats that rascal Penny up to? He gonna do a globetrotter confetti bucket thing? I love that bit! HA HA. I'll keep glued to the set!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/3/2004  9:58 AM
Marbury will be uber-pumped for this game.. last time he palyed Francis, Steve totally embarrassed him in his MSG debut. I'm guessing Marbury remembers this.

There will be some interesting matchups to watch. We have seen KT use his bag of tricks to really frustrate some great young big men like Amare. It will be interesting to see how DHoward reacts to KT and JYD's antics and veteran tricks.

Marbury vs. Francis is always worth paying for.

Ariza vs. Turkoglu when the 2nd units are on the floor.

Key for the Knicks is to come out playing tough D and not get down in the game. If the Magic take a quick lead and start playing loose on offense the scoring just flows for them. You cant let Mobley, Hill, Francis start to feel it... gotta get up on them.

Should be a good test and a great game.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
raven
Member: #316
Canada
12/3/2004  10:09 AM
if marbury plays the game in a one on one fashion against francis, mark my words, we're bound to loose.

he needs to grow over that, let francis plays his and1 game and control the offense. its his responsability now to get us going, not to embarass an other PG we don't care about and that he's not half the player he could become.

diderotn
USA
12/3/2004  10:23 AM
What Marburry does on the court tonight will separate him once again from all of the other PGs in the league. He is going to pace himself in the first half and try to get Kurt, Nazr, TT, and Crawf going, but if their shots are not falling, look for Marburry to complete try to take over. Our bench will once again be the difference. Sweetney will be motivated because he believes that he is better than Howard. Agwire and Williams will pump Sweetney's head by comparing the two.

It will be a great game.

Posted by raven:

if marbury plays the game in a one on one fashion against francis, mark my words, we're bound to loose.

he needs to grow over that, let francis plays his and1 game and control the offense. its his responsability now to get us going, not to embarass an other PG we don't care about and that he's not half the player he could become.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2004  1:07 PM
Posted by diderotn:

He is going to pace himself in the first half and try to get Kurt, Nazr, TT, and Crawf going, but if their shots are not falling, look for Marburry to complete try to take over. Sweetney will be motivated because he believes that he is better than Howard. Agwire and Williams will pump Sweetney's head by comparing the two.
[quote
[/quote]

Not only can you see the future, you have a portal into their minds!

It could also go: Crawford goes 3-29, marbs fouls out, Sweets developes a season long inferiority complex, the magic get a heads up from this site and "watches out for penny", Isiah gets a diet coke tossed on him and beats up the "Bingo Queen of Woodside" instead of the wannabe "bling king of Woodside", and TT grabs 2 rebounds, and finally curls up in the corner in the fetal postition and sobs over and over the the world is Fugazy, but he has not changed.

Isiah is suspended for the season, and Layden is reinstated (dolan is paying him anyway) and management asks him to trade for alonzo to make sure we have all Georgetown big men alumni on the books at one time or another!
playa2

12/3/2004  1:17 PM
The comments above are what you get from drinking the "KOOLAID"laced with "NO-DOZE"
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/3/2004  1:24 PM
Sweetney will be motivated because he believes that he is better than Howard. Agwire and Williams will pump Sweetney's head by comparing the two.
diderotn... seriously, do you just make this stuff up or what? Has Sweetney ever even heard of Howard?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/3/2004  3:30 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Sweetney will be motivated because he believes that he is better than Howard. Agwire and Williams will pump Sweetney's head by comparing the two.
diderotn... seriously, do you just make this stuff up or what? Has Sweetney ever even heard of Howard?

Diderotn = Mustafabb???????
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
playa2

12/3/2004  11:32 PM
Posted by raven:

Yea I think you hit it on the head. We have to grow up WHEN IT COMES TO playing against oppossing point guards with strong personalities(street cred)STEVIE FRANCHISE

diderotn
USA
12/3/2004  11:38 PM
Nalod! I was almost right in the money. However, the 3s killed us.

Posted by Nalod:
Posted by diderotn:

Whats that rascal Penny up to? He gonna do a globetrotter confetti bucket thing? I love that bit! HA HA. I'll keep glued to the set!
Knicks Could Face a True Test of Strength (ny times)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy