[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Vecsey: Carter and Rose for TT and Penny?
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
12/3/2004  1:44 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/35584.htm

BARGAIN BASEMENT

PETER VECSEY

December 3, 2004 -- AIDED and abetted by the Raptors' rookie coach, Sam Mitchell, Vince Carter has devalued himself to such a degree in the first 17 games of the season that Isiah Thomas' skeleton crew may be inching into inside position for his stained services.

Earlier this week in Miami, during an astonishing victory considering a season high 34 points and 17 rebounds by Shaq, Carter was the Raptors' SEVENTH leading scorer; five points off nine lousy shots for a guy pocketing $12.9 million this season and $13.8M, $15.1M and $16.3M over the next three.

But, hey, at least the floundering franchise player was doin' time for a change when this game was decided instead of bein' served a bench warrant. For whatever reason — defensive indifference, offensive nonchalance, couldn't care less — Carter has in dry dock the entire fourth quarter three times.

Not this time, though. The perpetual All-Star may not have been intimately involved in point production, but at least he was doin' something right — in Mitchell's mind, anyway — to justify his presence on the floor, where he was almost completely ignored.

Surely that would change when the Raptors broke a time-out huddle for the game's most important possession at 92-all. Others had gotten a chance in the closing minute or so to ice the Heat and failed. Surely it had to be Carter's turn now with 20-something seconds remaining in regulation. Surely he'd steal the last scene. Surely the critical scheme would have his DNA all over it.

After all, how long can a superstar hide in the weeds without utilizing his skills to vaguely near capacity? How long can a team's official scorer hang out on the perimeter without regularly being called upon or called out? How long can one of the NBA's most prized and publicized players remain a decoy before his pride ruptures or he depreciates altogether?

I informed the kid sitting next to me the ball would wind up in Carter's hands for the final shot. When Rafer Alston dribble-penetrated toward the center of the paint, I told him to look for a kick-out to Carter in the corner, from where he would take it strong to the rack. I would've bet anything that would be the play, which is why there's such a heavy demand for loan sharks.

Alston never so much as pretended to pass to Carter or faked a peripheral peek his way. Mitchell's strategy was designed for none other than 6-10 Donyell Marshall, fresh off the injured list, stationed in 3-point territory. Fortunately for the Raptors, his misguided missile clanked wide left to Jalen Rose, whose two subsequent free throws at the 15.9 mark ultimately settled matters — the game, as well as Carter's future in Toronto.

Despite Thursday night's trivial pursuit of 21 points while getting sandblasted, 129-108, by the Magic and a recent statement re his willingness, if not eagerness (he can't bring himself to lie to that level), to remain a Raptor, all Carter's vital signs are flashing warnings of wanting out.

The semi-retired flash-dancer exhibits little love for the game, has practically no bounce in his step and has become an infrequent flyer, the combination of which translates to a 7-year career low in scoring average (under 15) and field goal (40) percentage. All staged, no doubt, to wear out his welcome and save his legs for a stateside employer, preferably Camp Cablevision.

Naturally, all of the above, the half-steppin' and the disinterest is imprudently irrelevant as long as teams like the Knicks, Blazers, Bulls, Hornets and Grizzlies keep foggin' up GM Rob Babcock's phone lines with persistent, if not heavy, panting.

Indisputably, Carter's stock is down appreciably. At the same time, Babcock remains commendably patient. All it takes is one head-over-heels suitor and the Raptors are liable to get what they want. And what they want is to include Rose's 3-year commitment ($14.4M/$16.6M/$16.9M) in any deal involving Carter.

The Knicks, though not flaunting especially enticing assets (Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway; Toronto would save nearly $48.5M in the process) have always been willing to comply with that stipulation.

Babcock thinks there's better where that came from. So he's hanging tough, praying Carter's self-respect and market value don't completely deflate and hoping a more striking proposal is forthcoming in terms of enhanced talent and fewer years and guaranteed money.

The Blazers appear to be the only other team that can qualify on both scores. Plus, they've got the urge. Since the summer there have been all sorts of offers, counter-offers and rejections. Within the last week, the Raptors declined a straight-up deal involving Shareef Abdul-Rahim for Carter and two others consisting of a first round draft pick and either Damon Stoudamire or Nick Van Exel.

Again, the Raptors insist Rose be included. From what I'm told, the Blazers are seriously thinking about it, to the point of scouting Carter scrupulously against the Heat and the Magic. Sources say Babcock was asked a few days ago if he'd accept Derek Anderson's 3-year ($8.4M/$9M/$9.7M) pact along with Shareef ($14.6M) and Van Exel ($11.9M; next year's $12.8M isn't guaranteed) or Stoudamire ($12.5M) as part of the package.

That's where it stands. Neither side has committed one way or the other, but something could happen at any moment. If it doesn't, should the Blazers back off for good after what they may or may not have seen in Florida, the Knicks, indeed, may have established inside position.

For better or for worse.

AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/3/2004  4:02 AM
carter and rose for TT and penny? ummmm thats a tuff one cuz, those 2 players are way better than our two players but.. it would make our team even more lopsided than it already is.. **** it.. i might just do it... then trade A. Houston to Denver for one of their big men (they need a shooter badly)
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
12/3/2004  5:46 AM
I'd do this in a flash!!

Guaranteed, Carter comes to NY, he's back over 20 ppg, and besides, Penny? Rose?????? no question.

Were one of the only teams who couldnt give a flying f**k about the cap, so why not make the most of it.

There are other teams out there who want to get rid of their bloated contracts, bring em on!!!

NY Knicks, home of the unwanted, and the superstars that come with them.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Rich
USA
12/3/2004  6:17 AM
How would Carter, Houston, Crawford, and Rose, let alone Ariza, ever get sufficient PT to keep them all happy?

In addition, unless Isiah has a deal worked out for a C, he would lose two players who will have $25 million of expiring contracts after the season, that could be his most important trading chips.

Consequently, I would be against the trade unless there is another trade for a C that is ready to be completed.

Getting Curry, Nene, or Kwame should be Isiah's overriding priority.
Rich
USA
12/3/2004  6:19 AM
Posted by Elite:

carter and rose for TT and penny? ummmm thats a tuff one cuz, those 2 players are way better than our two players but.. it would make our team even more lopsided than it already is.. **** it.. i might just do it... then trade A. Houston to Denver for one of their big men (they need a shooter badly)

Houston's contract makes him untradable.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/3/2004  6:54 AM
I would hate this. The one thing we don't need right now is another scorer (especially one who needs the ball as much as Carter).
If we're going to trade TT and Penny's contracts, please trade them for a defender or a big man, not the most expensive toy on the market.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
12/3/2004  6:56 AM
you'll think i'm a fool (but since i'm french, i've already nothing to loose ), but I wouldn't do that trade.

1st : we're already strong outside. TT and penny's contracts may, and i underline the word may, help us getting some help inside.

I don't know, maybe NO will have to clean the house and rebuilt, maybe brand will be shipped... a lot of things could happen.

2nd : Carter is a soft player. We don't need him, I'd rather see marb and craw on the floor. He's a jumpshooter, a streaky not reliable jumpshooters and we have already enought of those.

3rd : Rose is a cancer, so i won't even spend more than 17 words to talk about him.

let's see what we can do with what we have, don't bring another player that thinks he should be the man wherever he will go.

Marb is our man, and we don't need him to revert to his bad habits to show the knicks are his team.

[Edited by - raven on 12/03/2004 06:57:26]
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
12/3/2004  7:36 AM
I'll admit, i counted the words in that sentance.

Hands up anyone else?

Sheesh, I really need to get a life.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
12/3/2004  8:35 AM
You and I both. However, I would do this deal in a heart beat, but I would also find a way to send Rose to Miami or another team for a first round draft pick. Maybe the Kings would consider adding Rose to their squad. After all he was part of the fab 5, Webber would probably love to have Rose playing with him again. Rose could definitely help the Kings, because their bench is very bad right now. If it is the Kings, what can we get from them?? We are talking about a three way deal.

quote]
Posted by raven:

you'll think i'm a fool (but since i'm french, i've already nothing to loose ), but I wouldn't do that trade.

1st : we're already strong outside. TT and penny's contracts may, and i underline the word may, help us getting some help inside.

I don't know, maybe NO will have to clean the house and rebuilt, maybe brand will be shipped... a lot of things could happen.

2nd : Carter is a soft player. We don't need him, I'd rather see marb and craw on the floor. He's a jumpshooter, a streaky not reliable jumpshooters and we have already enought of those.

3rd : Rose is a cancer, so i won't even spend more than 17 words to talk about him.

let's see what we can do with what we have, don't bring another player that thinks he should be the man wherever he will go.

Marb is our man, and we don't need him to revert to his bad habits to show the knicks are his team.

[Edited by - raven on 12/03/2004 06:57:26]
[/quote]
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2004  8:52 AM
Rose for a draft pick? The guy has 3 years left on his deal, no way that happens. Only a team under the cap would do it, and they got that way by staying away. All we know Webber might definatly not want to play with rose. Why, Cuz they already did once!

The only way this works is to trade Allan if he returns to form. Its a hard contract to sell, and I doubt we get a big in return. I don't know if Denver is in "win now panic" stage. Nene does not have a returning contract that matches.

I just don't see for all the reasons mentioned how this trade works for us. Rose and Carter are really not good at the SF position, thus we then have 4 shooting guards earning the salary exceeding many small countries. Toronto is smart to dump rose if they can.

Would rose then play SF? At 6-8 he has the height, but is he tough enough to grap rebounds?

Carter is pretty much a shooting guard, and we got lots there.

I would prefer we get in on a three way were we can get a big instead of carter. I can live with Rose in place of penny, I can live without TT, and if need be, Either Nazr or KT if it yields Curry.

I want to move younter and bigger, not bloated and selfish.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
12/3/2004  9:12 AM
I dont really like VC or Rose.

Not to mention, if VC is really stinking it up to get traded, that says a lot about his character. Is that the type of player you want on NY? What happens when he becomes a malcontent here? What happens when he starts talking trash about Lenny and it divides our team? Why would we want his presence here. He has never been on a team I consider a winner. The year they beat us in the playoffs they got lucky because Camby was out with emotional stress.

VC does not belong in NY and he can keep Jalen as well - the fab 5 from Michigan are tainted. Dont get me wrong, I love CWebb - but everyone who was on that team has some bad karma going on.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
12/3/2004  9:15 AM
Posted by Rich:

In addition, unless Isiah has a deal worked out for a C, he would lose two players who will have $25 million of expiring contracts after the season, that could be his most important trading chips.

Consequently, I would be against the trade unless there is another trade for a C that is ready to be completed.

This was exactly when this deal was discussed in a thread last week. At the time I said the same thing. However, I've given it some more thought since then and would be in favor of this trade.

Carter, especially if he reestablishes himself, will be far more attractive at as a trading chip than TT or Penny's expiring deals.

As we've seen before, expiring deals alone won't get you a superstar player. For example, if the Clips did decide to unload Brand next season, I'd think they'd want a 1st rounder and a young player (Sweets, Ariza, or whomever we pick in the first round this year) along with TT's or Penny's contract.

Vince, on the other hand, could get you a guy like Rahim right now. If he comes to NY and averages 20ppg again (which I think is possible) his value would skyrocket. Remember he's still just 27 (same age as Gazy himself) Even with years left on his deal, he'd be a more attractive piece than TT or Penny next year alone.

At the least, it's a talent upgrade. As for Vince being a "soft" player, what do you call TT? Rose can rot on the bench for all I care. But having him, though it would be painful to do it, would give them the option of trading Ariza. Would Nazr (who's value has never been, and probably never will be higher) and Ariza be enough to get Curry, while not giving up Sweetney?

The Knicks should make this deal if it ever becomes available (still a longshot, in my mind) I'd do this and Nazr + Ariza for Curry

C Curry
PF KT
SF Carter
SG Crawford
PG Marbury
C JYD
PF Sweets
SF Rose
SG Houston

Non Rotation: Baker, Moochie, Bruno, Brewer

[Edited by - ctknicksfan on 12/03/2004 09:33:35]
diderotn
USA
12/3/2004  9:16 AM
I understand and agree with what you are saying Nalod, but Carter can benefit the Knicks for future trade, specially if he puts up big numbers playing with Marburry. If he plays well and basically goes back to the old dunker/scorer that we know that he could be, we could turn around and trade him maybe to a team with lack of a super-star for a Center. I can live with either Carter or Houston playing the SF position, because in any given night, we could have a dominant player on the floor. Once Houston's contract expires, we could get rid of him.

Posted by Nalod:

Rose for a draft pick? The guy has 3 years left on his deal, no way that happens. Only a team under the cap would do it, and they got that way by staying away. All we know Webber might definatly not want to play with rose. Why, Cuz they already did once!

The only way this works is to trade Allan if he returns to form. Its a hard contract to sell, and I doubt we get a big in return. I don't know if Denver is in "win now panic" stage. Nene does not have a returning contract that matches.

I just don't see for all the reasons mentioned how this trade works for us. Rose and Carter are really not good at the SF position, thus we then have 4 shooting guards earning the salary exceeding many small countries. Toronto is smart to dump rose if they can.

Would rose then play SF? At 6-8 he has the height, but is he tough enough to grap rebounds?

I would prefer we get in on a three way were we can get a big instead of carter. I can live with Rose in place of penny, I can live without TT, and if need be, Either Nazr or KT if it yields Curry.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/3/2004  9:29 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I understand and agree with what you are saying Nalod, but Carter can benefit the Knicks for future trade, specially if he puts up big numbers playing with Marburry. If he plays well and basically goes back to the old dunker/scorer that we know that he could be, we could turn around and trade him maybe to a team with lack of a super-star for a Center. I can live with either Carter or Houston playing the SF position, because in any given night, we could have a dominant player on the floor. Once Houston's contract expires, we could get rid of him.

Posted by Nalod:

I think GMs are well aware NAzrs recent play is against very weak teams.

Carter is an injury risk, but more so if he is future trade bait. If he gets hurt, we are screwed holding him possibly for a very long time!

Its a very Checketts/Layden starphuching thing to do, that is why I say no.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/3/2004  9:47 AM
I wouldnt do that either... not enough balls to shoot and we need bigs, not wing players. That gives you Crawford, Marbury, Rose, VC and Houston for at least 2 years. Thats like $65mm a year in shooters. Its ridiculous. Its better to to just let Penny and TT walk, save the $30mm and use that money to upgrade center or get a legit bigman. Nazr's expiring $5.5mm is the real trading asset next season, not TT and Penny.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/3/2004  9:58 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I wouldnt do that either... not enough balls to shoot and we need bigs, not wing players. That gives you Crawford, Marbury, Rose, VC and Houston for at least 2 years. Thats like $65mm a year in shooters. Its ridiculous. Its better to to just let Penny and TT walk, save the $30mm and use that money to upgrade center or get a legit bigman. Nazr's expiring $5.5mm is the real trading asset next season, not TT and Penny.
TT and Penny's expiring contracts will be huge trade assets. What team wouldn't want the chance to get rid of a huge amount of salary? It's one thing to argue that it's unrealistic to expect the Knicks to use both contracts to take back more salary (which we've already discussed), but to say that they won't be real trade assets is not true. Any expiring max contract is a huge trade asset, especially if combined with a decent young player or a draft pick.
diderotn
USA
12/3/2004  10:03 AM
Let's see how Isiah plays this out. He is a shrude man, he knows what's best for our team. Can you all think of a SF/PF/C who is a good defender that can help our squad???? I am not talking about a potentially good defender, I mean a guy who is playing for a bad team, can basically ball from both ends of the court. You know who comes to mind: Jim Jackson. I don't know if Houston would consider trading him to us for one of our PFs, but he has the savvy, shooting touch, rebounding skills, and the attitude that we need at the 3. Perhaps we can consider trading Kurt Thomas to Houston for Jimmy Jackson. Please don't kill me for that suggestion. Jim Jackson is no punk. When he played in Sacramento, he was the man. Trading Kurt would open the doors for Sweetney, but where whould that put TT?? Jackson would want to be a starter. I like his game much more than TT's.

Posted by fishmike:

raven
Member: #316
Canada
12/3/2004  10:05 AM
this is a fantasy trade. will kill our chemistry and eat our best assets.

don't see the reward for us.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/3/2004  10:19 AM
no thanks.

i hate rose just like every other gm/coach in the nba.
vince is good but he's not what we need.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/3/2004  10:21 AM
not really Bonn, smaller contracts are worth more. If we use TT or Penny's deal in a trade it means your taking 2-3 players back, and at least 2 of them are going to have long term deals. Didnt we learn our lesson with Shandon? How many more $20 mill contracts can MSG eat?

Again... our payroll is OVER $100mm. At some point there needs to be fiscal responsibility, or you pay later.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Vecsey: Carter and Rose for TT and Penny?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy