[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Difference between this season and the past 3 seasons... Leadership:
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/2/2004  4:47 PM
For the past 3 seasons, the Knicks lacked true leadership. Sprewell was a leader on the court and guys followed his lead, but he was still a really bad example. Then we had Houston last year, and even the year before, establishing himself, but it wasn't enough. And last year, it was hard for anyone to establish themselves as a leader b/c of all the changes and all. All the years before that, we had guys like Ewing, LJ, a little Spree, and before that we had the Oakman and Harper and Starks and guys like them.

I mean, maybe you could consider Charlie Ward a leader b/c he always gave it his 100%, but was hard for the fans to accept that.

This year is quite different. I think you can pick from a whole bunch of players and consider them leaders, starting with our trio of captains. Marbury, Houston and Thomas. Marbury obviously being the most vocalof them all, but he also sets a good example. As for Houston he leads by example, but he seems like he does whatever the coach asks of him and like a guy players can go up to for advise and stuff. Maybe I can say something similar about KT, b/c he always gives it his all, and I've heard a number players compliment him about that.

But there are a couple of other players worth mentioning. Them being Jerome Williams and possibly Penny Hardaway. Hardaway for the wisdom and veteran experience, but how about Jerome Williams. He seems like a coaches dream. He doesn't complain about everything. When he's on the court, everyone else plays hard. The guys feed off him, especially Sweetney and Ariza. He sets the perfect example, and he's VERY vocal, in a positive way. I think he has already established a leadership role.

Also, I know some of you guys may kill me for this, but I think Moochie Norris should get consideration too. He seems to have accepted his limited playing time to no playing time role just fine. And he's always one of the first to cheer on his teammates. He seems like he might be a nice lockerroom leader.

I think this has been a huge difference, then from the past few seasons. What do you guys think?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/2/2004  4:49 PM
how about accountability?

before, players would play and regardless of how well or poorly they played, they would get their minutes (eisley, spoon, othella, etc.).

now, you don't play hard, you ride the pine.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/2/2004  4:53 PM
I like how you didn't stop at the captains. It seems like everyone knows their role to this team, regardless of minutes.
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/2/2004  4:56 PM
Shandon Anderson
Howard Eisley
Clarence Weatherspoon
Rick Dudley
and any other lack of talent stiff we had under Layden vs. the team we have now is the biggest difference between being as far in the NBA abyss as humanly possible and now.

On a relative basis and taking into consideration inherited contracts, makes what Zeke has done (on a relative basis) nothing short of remarkable.

[Edited by - Pike on 12/02/2004 16:58:49]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2004  5:52 PM
Knicks' record last year with Marbury: 25-22
Knicks' record this year: 8-6

The only differences I think are that we have Marbury for the full season. Crawford has basically replaced the scoring provided by TT (and Van Horn before that) last year. If we could get TT back to normal and get a healthy Houston back, the team would be so much better than just the .571 winning percentage it has now, though.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/2/2004  5:54 PM
its too early to be looking at winning percentages
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2004  5:58 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

its too early to be looking at winning percentages
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the fact that it works out to exactly .571; you're right about that. The point is that this team (without Houston and without the TT we had last year) is a slightly above .500 team and would be much better with TT back to normal and Houston healthy. Even if only one of those two happened, the team would be so much better.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/2/2004  6:32 PM
Rick Dudley

Chris Dudley was not a Layden player. He was traded for by Ernie Grunfield back in 1997, and played a small but nice role for our championship contending teams, and he always played his hardest. He had no offensive skill whatsoever, but you had to at least like him a little for his effort. He should not be placed even near the Shanvis Eisleyspoon category. Especially considering that he was TRADED by Layden in the Ewing trade.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/2/2004  7:03 PM
... him too. Duds would have been better put...

I was making a point... talent is the difference between now and three years ago... thanks to the Thomas for Layden deal, if you will.

[Edited by - Pike on 12/02/2004 19:04:16]
Difference between this season and the past 3 seasons... Leadership:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy