[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is KT a top 5 defender
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/2/2004  3:16 PM
I heard Walt and Breen mention that KT is definately one of the top 5 defenders in the league, and should sart getting considerations for defensive player of the year.

I can't say yes or no, I Know I never heard an opponent rave about how good of a defender he is, like ben, artest, deke and some of the other great defenders in the past.

I'm kind of loss with this assement of him. While I think he's a very good one on one defender, I don't think I every seen him literally shut somebody down for the entire game.
ES
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
12/2/2004  3:18 PM
I thought I misheard that statement when he origionally said it. I don't think he is that good.

Breen = employee of MSG = responsible for hyping the Knicks and players
PURE KNICKS LOVE
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/2/2004  3:21 PM
Exactly, he saw Marv get cannedand is sucking up. Kurt is a GOOD defender, but All NBA Defensive team?
knicks1248
12/2/2004  3:24 PM
Ya think so.... Breen has always been pretty fair, and thats pretty big to say something like that.

thats why I'm trying to get you guy's opinion.
ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/2/2004  3:56 PM
a couple years ago when the Knicks were awfull he also said KT was worth a top 3 draft pick.

No.. KT is not a top 5 defender, but I would say he's close. He's just not athletic enough to be a top 4 and that limits how he affect the game. He's a good man to man defender but he doesnt block shots, and opposing guards dont fear the paint because KT is patrolling the area.

He plays hard and his strong man to man D is especially valuable in crunchtime.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
12/2/2004  4:01 PM
Big fan of Kurty & his dirty D, but he's nowhere near top 5 defender. That's ridiculous. Maybe top 5 among pf's, but probably not even that. KG, Duncan, Kmart, Wallace (Sheed) all are clearly better, IMO. Then there are a whole bunch of guys who are about as good (Boozer, Foster, Camby (if he's a PF), etc.)

Don't know if those guys were consciously being suck-up toadies, or they just got carried away. But it was one of the dumber snippets of Knick broadcasting of recent vintage. Made me miss Marv. He wouldn't of let this kind of garbage get said w/o challenge.
Pike
Member: #403
12/2/2004  4:02 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I think it is unfair that Breen is subject to this kind of rhetoric partly due to the fallout between Dolan and (my man) Marv Albert. Nobody can fill Albert's shoes but, if we can't have Marv, I'm glad we have someone who possesses the intelligence and intergrity of Mike Breen.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

[Edited by - Pike on 12/02/2004 16:03:42]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/2/2004  4:06 PM
Kurt is good defending the low post against bigger, more physical players & is an EXCELLENT help defender, but he's not a strong 1 on 1 defender if the player he's guarding has good dribbling skills & is quicker than he is.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2004  4:11 PM
http://www.knickerblogger.net/
It's no secret that the Knicks' defense has been pitiful, but what surprised me is what position has been their worst. I would have thought opposing shooting guards would be circling the New York dates on their schedule, but it's actually been the power forward position that's given the Knicks the most trouble. Amazed as I was, 82games.com reports that PFs have a 20.8 PER against the Knicks. Checking their individual stats, it's Kurt Thomas (15.3, 22.5, -9.2) who seems to be the culprit. Just to make sure this year's results aren't a victim of small sample size, I checked last year's stats, where Kurt shows up as a below average defender (17.5 oPER) as well.
Watching the games I would have never believed this, so I decided to double check this manually. Since Thomas plays more minutes at PF than anyone else on the team, it's logical to judge his worth by the opposing starting PF. For every Knicks game, I added the stats for every PF that played more than 20 minutes. The compiled offensive line is very nice from an offensive standpoint: 15.3 Points in 33 minutes on 56% eFG. Of the 15 opponents in my list, only 5 had an adjusted shooting percentage under 50% against the Knicks.

The Knicks have played some great PFs in Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki, and Brand, but even guys like Gooden (11-16, 25PTS 75% eFG), Austin Croshere (3-4 12PTS 100%), and Matt Bonner (12-16, 24PTS 75% in 2 games) are having great shooting nights. I know that Kurt has a great reputation as a man-man defender, but the numbers say otherwise. Guys like Garnett and Duncan will score against any defender, however if Kurt is as good as his reputation, he should be able to handle the Crosheres and Bonners of the NBA. Thomas' defense isn't the only issue. His ability to get to the charity stripe has been fading since 2001.

year FTA/402001 3.82002 2.92003 2.02004 0.8The news isn't all bad for Thomas, as his shooting as held steady over his career (currently at a nice even 50%), and his rebounding has spiked up this year. Additionally, he doesn't turn the ball over too often.

If you disliked reading the last two paragraphs as much as I hated writing them, you're going to really hate this one. At this moment, Thomas is the Knicks' most attractive tradable asset. Why? First, for GMs that still use traditional stats, he's a double-double (maybe the most misleading stat in the NBA) that's shooting 50% and probably still has that good reputation as a tough defender. His contract is reasonable (more reasonable this year at $6M, than in 4 years at $8M). Although he's past his prime at age 32, that Thomas has a been a healthy and solid contributor over the last 6 years makes him a nice fit for a team looking for a veteran presence to help them for a playoff run. Additionally the Knicks can easily make up for Thomas' production with two underused players in Sweetney and Williams. Finally, although other teams covet the Knicks' little used young players like Sweetney and Ariza, the Knicks would be unlikely to get fair value in return.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/02/2004 16:11:47]
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/2/2004  4:27 PM
I think the comment was that Kurt should get consideration for all defensive teams- I believe they have two, no? First and Second. In saying he deserves consideration for, does not mean they are saying he is deserving of selection- its a bit like being nominate for an award and winning it-

KT is solid and subtle defense- he does a lot of small things, help d and the like- he isn't flamboyant like a ben wallace grabbing 20 boards and blocking 10 shots.
fishmike
USA
12/2/2004  4:46 PM
Posted by Pike:
Posted by Andrew:

I think it is unfair that Breen is subject to this kind of rhetoric partly due to the fallout between Dolan and (my man) Marv Albert. Nobody can fill Albert's shoes but, if we can't have Marv, I'm glad we have someone who possesses the intelligence and intergrity of Mike Breen.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

[Edited by - Pike on 12/02/2004 16:03:42]
here's another take. I think Breen just loves his job and loves the Knicks. I do think he overhypes them and what they do, but for no other reason than genuine affection. I think he honestly roots for them (as many broadcasters do) and just gets excited when they play well... even a little well. I dont think he's got an agenda.
Pike
Member: #403
12/2/2004  4:52 PM
There's nothing wrong with a local announcer having a genuine affection for his team. I felt Marv was the same way... but Marv was announcing at the dreaded time of Scott Layden and would have had to be an absolute idiot not to "tell it like it was" with the franchise and part of the reason he did it was because of his love and as you say, genuine affection for the franchise he devoted much of his life.

Dolan was an idiot to do what he did with Marv. The only good thing Dolan did in his fogettable tenor as owner of Knicks and Rangers was to hire Isiah Thomas.

I felt Andrew was questioning Breen's integrity which in my opinion is WAY out of line.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/2/2004  5:52 PM
I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I heard Breen say its about time Kurt gets all-defensive team consideration. I had to reach for the cotton swab
knicks1248
12/3/2004  6:44 AM
here's another take. I think Breen just loves his job and loves the Knicks. I do think he overhypes them and what they do, but for no other reason than genuine affection. I think he honestly roots for them (as many broadcasters do) and just gets excited when they play well... even a little well. I dont think he's got an agenda.

I could agree here. I dont know if there's an all defense 3rd team, but thats the list I would put him on, and I'm still suspect about that. He wold be considered the 3rd best PF in the league, and honestly speaking, he somewhere in the top 12.
ES
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
12/3/2004  9:41 AM
Pike, I like Breen...it wasn't an attack on his integrity, rather a statement about the state of the Knicks organization.

I believe what Marv said concerning Dolan wanting the announcers to promote and show the Knicks in a positive light all of the time and not tell it like it is. Marv said it. If you don't believe it then I guess you are questioning Marv's integrity as an anouncer.

I thought Breen's statement was way out there....KT a top 5 defensive player? Do you think he is anywhere close to that? He is solid, but not even top 10 IMO.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
12/3/2004  10:31 AM
I agree and the numbers speak for themselves. We get killed by opposing PFs every night and they shoot well over 50% against us. That being said KT has been a great clutch defender this year and has come up big in key situations for us. He's not even a top 5 defender at PF. I would have to put Kmart, Brand, Jermaine, Boozer, Sheed, Duncan and KG easily ahead of KT. Kt is right there with PJ.. good hard worker on D and the glass but no team is changing their approach because KT is guarding their PF.
Is KT a top 5 defender

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy