Nazr last 5 games
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/2/2004  10:01 AM
Posted by MS:

The numbers compare but the situation doesn't. Naz has been playing extremely well you can't take that away from him, but Jammal, and Steph have done a good job of getting him the ball where he can finish. If he improves his hands and finishing around the rim he can be a very good player for a long time.

But that said I would like to see a real athlete at the position someone who is going to block a few shots, and is quicker off the floor, because with Steph and Craw breaking people down the easy buckets will come at a premium...

Naz should improve when Houston returns as well, because teams are going to have to really focus on the guards....
werent you just saying Crawford is a me-first player? So why are guys like Nazr suddenly benefiting from him being here?

I dont think anyone is fooled by Nazr's great play of late. we still have major needs in the frontcourt, but its good to see a guy like him thrive, and its even better to see Marbury and Crawford making guys better... I think thats the whole point in Isiah getting them in the first place.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/2/2004  10:13 AM
Posted by bernard:

Please no Sweets for Zo ... are you kidding? W/ Zo we, best case, win 2 rounds in the playoffs. Still wouldn't beat Det. or Ind to make finals. So we sacrifice a young, emerging player, who could turn into our starting PF for years or could help us get a young big, for a aging guy who may suffer relapse at any time and have to retire? All for the possibility of winning an extra round in the playoff? (I'm figuring we're best case winning one round w/ current team.) No way.

As for the topic, Nazr is ballin. Even his "off" night last night was OK. Shot for good % and got decent numbers. Don't agree w/ Fish that it's his athleticism that carries him. Doesn't jump very well and is kind of awkward, imo. He's got a motor though, and goes for offensive rebounds as well as just about anyone in the league. Plus he's got those long arms and is quick around the basket. And, yes, he's benefitting from being our 5th option. Folks aren't making defensive game plans to stop Nazr.

What's surprised me is his post-up game. I still kind of cringe every time he makes a 1-on-1 move, but he's been hitting a high % of them, and if he keeps it up, he'll start demanding doubles and will have to learn to pass :).

If they play MS 20+ minutes a night and he responds very well, then of course I wouldnt do it. He seemed to be sliding off, putting on some more weight IMHO and then his minutes really started to drop. This east is wide open. I do have serious ??????? about MS going forward-I really believe he needs to get his weight down to 250 and start facing up much more. I like Mike Sweetney, I wanted to draft him because he was the best player available at our pick and I was kind of shocked that he didnt start playing well until the end of the season[although his terrible family problem at his age was probably a big cause] he played great in SL and has been excellent off the bench for the most part.
BUT,unless he gets down to 250, i dont see him advancing his game--he needs more mobility because he even though he can move that 275 pound chug pretty good, what can he do at 250? Because he is probably close to 6-7, he NEEDS that weight down for the added mobility benefit he would gain. I hear you though, I always think of ZO as a warrior and you need warriors to win. if i was getting that high 2nd rounder+ our own pick and getting rid of moochie norris, i know it might not be popular, hell it might be sadist, but i would sure consider it.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2004  10:18 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by bernard:

Please no Sweets for Zo ... are you kidding? W/ Zo we, best case, win 2 rounds in the playoffs. Still wouldn't beat Det. or Ind to make finals. So we sacrifice a young, emerging player, who could turn into our starting PF for years or could help us get a young big, for a aging guy who may suffer relapse at any time and have to retire? All for the possibility of winning an extra round in the playoff? (I'm figuring we're best case winning one round w/ current team.) No way.

As for the topic, Nazr is ballin. Even his "off" night last night was OK. Shot for good % and got decent numbers. Don't agree w/ Fish that it's his athleticism that carries him. Doesn't jump very well and is kind of awkward, imo. He's got a motor though, and goes for offensive rebounds as well as just about anyone in the league. Plus he's got those long arms and is quick around the basket. And, yes, he's benefitting from being our 5th option. Folks aren't making defensive game plans to stop Nazr.

What's surprised me is his post-up game. I still kind of cringe every time he makes a 1-on-1 move, but he's been hitting a high % of them, and if he keeps it up, he'll start demanding doubles and will have to learn to pass :).

If they play MS 20+ minutes a night and he responds very well, then of course I wouldnt do it. He seemed to be sliding off, putting on some more weight IMHO and then his minutes really started to drop. This east is wide open. I do have serious ??????? about MS going forward-I really believe he needs to get his weight down to 250 and start facing up much more. I like Mike Sweetney, I wanted to draft him because he was the best player available at our pick and I was kind of shocked that he didnt start playing well until the end of the season[although his terrible family problem at his age was probably a big cause] he played great in SL and has been excellent off the bench for the most part.
BUT,unless he gets down to 250, i dont see him advancing his game--he needs more mobility because he even though he can move that 275 pound chug pretty good, what can he do at 250? Because he is probably close to 6-7, he NEEDS that weight down for the added mobility benefit he would gain. I hear you though, I always think of ZO as a warrior and you need warriors to win. if i was getting that high 2nd rounder+ our own pick and getting rid of moochie norris, i know it might not be popular, hell it might be sadist, but i would sure consider it.
He's very young and a hard worker. Why would you think he couldn't continue to get his weight down (he once was 320) or develop a face the basket game? I'd assume that he will be able to improve in these areas considering his work ethic. I'd never assume that a hard working 21 year old can't improve. He's the kind of player I want to keep unless we get a very good, YOUNG player in return (or a star veteran with no question marks).
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
12/2/2004  11:21 AM
I like Zo too. He is a warrior. He's a beast. I would love to get him because he would do a much better job than any of our current guys defending big stars like O'Neals, KG, Duncan, etc. and would also provide help D. If we could get him w/o giving up Sweet, Ariza, Marb, or Jamal, I'd do it. Maybe Nazr's value is up enough to entice Nets?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/2/2004  11:31 AM
Posted by bernard:

I like Zo too. He is a warrior. He's a beast. I would love to get him because he would do a much better job than any of our current guys defending big stars like O'Neals, KG, Duncan, etc. and would also provide help D. If we could get him w/o giving up Sweet, Ariza, Marb, or Jamal, I'd do it. Maybe Nazr's value is up enough to entice Nets?
I'd gladly take Zo (without draft picks being involved) so long as we were not giving up any of the following players: Stephon, Jamal, Kurt, Sweetney, Ariza, or Nazy. Otherwise, he's too high risk, unless we're getting the Nets' unprotected 1st rd pick in 2005.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/2/2004  3:51 PM
the biggest improvement in Nazr's defense is him not leaving his feet on penetrators trying to block shots...he has been disciplined enough lately to stand his ground w/his arms raised & make it difficult for penetrators to get off their shots & draw needless fouls from him...he is getting to the lane earlier than before & getting defensive positioning, so his awareness on that level has improved dramatically imo...i don't think he'll ever be the shotblocking presence we need or the stopper in the low post against a Tim Duncan or someone of that nature (who is?), but as long as he keeps improving in that area, he can at least alter shots & start fast breaks when he pulls down the defensive rebounds off missed shots.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nazr last 5 games

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy