[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Nazr last 5 games
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/1/2004  6:19 PM
hes been playing awesome. i put Okafors last 5 games just to compare--just about the same, nazr shooting % is better while Ok4 blocks more shots

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3819

OK4 19.4 11.6 55% 2.5 blocks

Nazr 19.0 12.4 64% 1 block

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3272

so that is pretty dam good play. now the test here is playing this way against better competition. If I am memphis, I run the first 3-4 plays right at Nazr with Gasol. I would love to see Nazr walk out with 17 and 11 tonight. That will tell me a lot.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/1/2004  6:27 PM
Wow BRIGGS, this topic is so not like your usual ones.
Yeah, Nazr's playing well ever since he finished fasting for Ramadan.
He's a nice option to have down low. He may not always finish on the first try, but he always sticks with it, and will eventually put it down.

Who would've guessed during the offseason that it would be Nazr to have more of a defining season.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
12/1/2004  6:32 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Wow BRIGGS, this topic is so not like your usual ones.
Yeah, Nazr's playing well ever since he finished fasting for Ramadan.
He's a nice option to have down low. He may not always finish on the first try, but he always sticks with it, and will eventually put it down.

Who would've guessed during the offseason that it would be Nazr to have more of a defining season.
I agree with your thoughts. It's nice to see one of the players who was supposedly going to be a lot better (along with Baker, TT, etc etc) actually proving that he IS a lot better.
http://allknicks.com
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/1/2004  6:32 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

so that is pretty dam good play. now the test here is playing this way against better competition.
BRIGGS, stats aside, what do you think Nazr? Really, just want some other opinions.

I have liked what I have seen. I also think that Nazr has been getting lots of help in 2 different areas: Kurt always defends the tougher opponent and Marb et al (Kurt) have been attracting the defenses, and so Nazr has been getting the garbage baskets, rebounds.

Nazr at times seems to play like a rookie: not so smart fouls, no idea what he is doing on help defense, not really a defensive presence even though he is such a big man. On the other hand, there is a tremendous difference in his play between this year and last. The hustle and desire is palpable, and his fairly consistant stats speak of a pretty darn solid player.

For me Nazr is a perplexing surprise.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
12/1/2004  6:36 PM
Wow, some love from BRIGGS for a Knick! Some positive stats!! Yeah, thats the attitude!!

Seriously, Nazr has been such a pleasant surprise lately! His numbers are great! I hope he keeps it up! What a great thing that he has been able to stay out of foul trouble. He had great games last season too, but still has trouble staying in the game. Now he is able to play big minutes and have a big impact. I really hope he has a great season, not only for the Knicks, but also because he is a good guy.
Knicks_Fan
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
12/1/2004  6:43 PM
Renting a DVD at blockbuster- $5

Buying a new videogame- $50

Seeing BRIGGS start a positive thread about the Knicks- priceless

Just to think, some doubted me when I said Nazr could be a great asset for us

As I said earlier in the season, all he needed was some major minutes to put up some decent numbers. To get those minutes he has to stay out of foul trouble and that is exactly what he has done lately. He has also been hitting his free throws lately which has also been a pleasant surprise. With that said, I still don't think he will turn into the guy that can bring us to the next level, but if he continues to play like this, he can certainly help us get that guy.

[Edited by - s3231 on 12/01/2004 18:49:15]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
BRIGGS
12/1/2004  7:07 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by BRIGGS:

so that is pretty dam good play. now the test here is playing this way against better competition.
BRIGGS, stats aside, what do you think Nazr? Really, just want some other opinions.

I have liked what I have seen. I also think that Nazr has been getting lots of help in 2 different areas: Kurt always defends the tougher opponent and Marb et al (Kurt) have been attracting the defenses, and so Nazr has been getting the garbage baskets, rebounds.

Nazr at times seems to play like a rookie: not so smart fouls, no idea what he is doing on help defense, not really a defensive presence even though he is such a big man. On the other hand, there is a tremendous difference in his play between this year and last. The hustle and desire is palpable, and his fairly consistant stats speak of a pretty darn solid player.

Hes gone from the outhouse to the Penthouse pretty quick, so of course we need to see more. What I like about Nazr
hes very quick to the offensive glass and has taken great advantage of having marbury as a PG. Hes also been rather deft with his touch around the basket, using a jump hook or baby jumper+uses the glass well. Hes not a real C, like Ok4 is not a real C, so defensively he cannot contain solid 4-5 players and offers zero resistence to dribble drive penetrators. Hes a good compliment to KT, but together they are not big enough guys to help stop that raging Fg % defense.

We really could use Alonzo as a 3rd wheel. He offers the things we need+ I dont see a player that is honestly obtainable. I think you can get Zo, I do think the Knicks can get him

i think we'd have to offer

Sweetney and Baker
for ZO and NJ 2nd round pick next year.
RIP Crushalot😞
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
12/1/2004  7:10 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by martin:
Posted by BRIGGS:

Hes gone from the outhouse to the Penthouse pretty quick, so of course we need to see more. What I like about Nazr
hes very quick to the offensive glass and has taken great advantage of having marbury as a PG. Hes also been rather deft with his touch around the basket, using a jump hook or baby jumper+uses the glass well. Hes not a real C, like Ok4 is not a real C, so defensively he cannot contain solid 4-5 players and offers zero resistence to dribble drive penetrators. Hes a good compliment to KT, but together they are not big enough guys to help stop that raging Fg % defense.

We really could use Alonzo as a 3rd wheel. He offers the things we need+ I dont see a player that is honestly obtainable. I think you can get Zo, I do think the Knicks can get him

Sweetney and Baker
now if we could only dump TT and start JYD for defense at the SF spot
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
12/1/2004  7:10 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Sweetney and Baker
WOW.
WOW.
never. ever. don't even mention that!
http://allknicks.com
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2004  9:48 PM
It's not too surprising that once the team got a few games above .500, the skeptics would begin to join the bandwagon.
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  9:49 PM
Trade Sweetney for Alonzo??? Next thing you know, Briggs is gonna post that 7-22 is a legitimate possibility that we should be discussing!
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  10:34 PM
I like Brigg's posts. He's a pure what you see is what you get guy, no hype. Show him something good and he's impressed.

I agree 100% in that the best thing Nazr is doing is taking advantage of playing with Marbury and Crawford. He's not a solid fundamental ball player, but he's a hell of an athlete and really plays his ass off every night. Now he's benefiting from the guard play and its great to see.

Its nice to see Marbury making guys better, even better to see guys like NAzr able to take advantage.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  10:41 PM
When he's not making predictions, I like Briggs posts too actually.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/1/2004  11:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

It's not too surprising that once the team got a few games above .500, the skeptics would begin to join the bandwagon.

Snitty tonite.

Once the team starts winning your getting might uppity yourself.
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  11:33 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Snitty tonite.

Once the team starts winning your getting might uppity yourself.
Nah, I've been predicting 45 wins through both the good and bad times for the Knicks. I don't mind laughing at the pessimists, though. Sorry if you can't handle it, snotty nalody

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12/01/2004 23:34:28]
BRIGGS
12/2/2004  12:12 AM
Posted by teslawlo:
Posted by BRIGGS:

Sweetney and Baker
WOW.
WOW.
never. ever. don't even mention that!

if they are going to use Sweetney 10 minutes a game, than I say go for it. id rather use moochie norris+3mm than baker, but if Im getting that high 2nd rounder back + we have our own+houstons pick--we have more than enough to refill the youth requirement.

Im glad they used mike more tonight, i didnt know what was going on--they had basically started phasing him out. you have to ask questions if they say they love him, but then they wont use him? I like Mike, hes been great on the 2nd unit when he gets decent PT.

But this season is WIDE open in the east and when it gets down to it, so we have enough to contend with a team that can throw rasheed Mcdyess Big ben Cambell etc.. at you with quality guards? we need more, we would need zo --if we can add zo and houston, im doing it if i can. you are not going to be a long term winner on a deal like that--its basically going for it the next two years. marbury is playing at optimum levels, we can still recharge the pipleline through the draft
I like Mike, but he is likely going to be a tier UNDER what would be considered elite at his position. I dont want to lose sweetney but i feel there is a chance to go for it IF we can get back H2O and zo

if we could trade moochie sweetney + 1.5mm
for zo and NJ 2nd round pick

our line up is

C Nazr
PF Thomas
SF Thomas
SG Crawford
PG Marbury
C Zo
F Williams
F Ariza
G H2O
G Hardaway
RIP Crushalot😞
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
12/2/2004  12:57 AM
No way would I do that deal. I would rather keep Sweetney on the bench and not reach our potential. I don't want Zo. He is a relapse waiting to happen.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/2/2004  9:37 AM
bad Briggs... bad boy.

you have to be patient and keep your eye on the true prize. Making short sighted moves because the conference is weak is how we got in a Layden sized hole in the first place.

As for the young players their minutes are going to fluctuate. It doesnt mean we arent committed to them. Look at Zach minutes his first 2 years. There have been times when Ariza/Sweetney have just looked bad. Other times they have been great. Lenny was pretty much forced to stick with them last night and the bench really stepped up.

The only way you can justify a move for Zo/Sweetney is if you really believe Marbury is championship caliber and ready to lead his team to that level. Personally I like where we are at but still need to rebuild much of this roster.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bernard
Member: #475
12/2/2004  9:44 AM
Please no Sweets for Zo ... are you kidding? W/ Zo we, best case, win 2 rounds in the playoffs. Still wouldn't beat Det. or Ind to make finals. So we sacrifice a young, emerging player, who could turn into our starting PF for years or could help us get a young big, for a aging guy who may suffer relapse at any time and have to retire? All for the possibility of winning an extra round in the playoff? (I'm figuring we're best case winning one round w/ current team.) No way.

As for the topic, Nazr is ballin. Even his "off" night last night was OK. Shot for good % and got decent numbers. Don't agree w/ Fish that it's his athleticism that carries him. Doesn't jump very well and is kind of awkward, imo. He's got a motor though, and goes for offensive rebounds as well as just about anyone in the league. Plus he's got those long arms and is quick around the basket. And, yes, he's benefitting from being our 5th option. Folks aren't making defensive game plans to stop Nazr.

What's surprised me is his post-up game. I still kind of cringe every time he makes a 1-on-1 move, but he's been hitting a high % of them, and if he keeps it up, he'll start demanding doubles and will have to learn to pass :).
MS
Member: #724
12/2/2004  9:44 AM
The numbers compare but the situation doesn't. Naz has been playing extremely well you can't take that away from him, but Jammal, and Steph have done a good job of getting him the ball where he can finish. If he improves his hands and finishing around the rim he can be a very good player for a long time.

But that said I would like to see a real athlete at the position someone who is going to block a few shots, and is quicker off the floor, because with Steph and Craw breaking people down the easy buckets will come at a premium...

Naz should improve when Houston returns as well, because teams are going to have to really focus on the guards....
Nazr last 5 games

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy