[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY/DEN talks heating up/ Spree/Allan not involved
Author Thread
falcindor
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #42
USA
2/12/2002  8:09 AM
...for NVE. They say 2 scenerios are in place.

Camby + Jax
for
Van Exel + Posey

Camby + Knight + Jackson
for
Van Exel + Raef

The Nuggets favor the first deal. We favor the second. If Layden does the first deal I think he shoulld be immediately fired. You thought we had problems in frontcourt before, imagine it without Camby, dont tell me KT with his 10ft baseline jumper is our only frontcourt force. Im all for NVE, he has talent. I dont think he has a bad attitude but he wantsa to win. Hes been in Denver 4 years and nothin has gotten better

That 2nd deal is perfect for Ny but I cant see the Nuggs taking it unless Raef really is on their bad list. Knicks would have the steal of the year if they pull it off. I would even add a 1st round draft pick if neccessary to the second one.

Imagine:

PG- NVE
Sg- Houston
Sf- Sprewell
PF- Weatherspoon
C - Lafrentz

That starting linup is tight. I think it might be the best starting lineup in the whole eastern conference
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
AUTOADVERT
Knick2001
Member: #83
2/12/2002  8:40 AM
"I would even add a 1st round draft pick if neccessary to the second one." NO WAY should the Knicks consider trading ANY 1st round picks, period. They need to start drafting some younger players!
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/12/2002  9:36 AM
Layden would have a revolt on his hands by the fans if he accepted the first deal...sending our only big man for a couple of small guys.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
2/12/2002  9:59 AM
A littel more info from Insider.
Insider reported Monday that the Knicks had talked with the Nuggets during All-Star weekend in an attempt to acquire both Nick Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz, but needed a third team to get a deal done.

The NY Post's Marc Berman is reporting in today's editions that the Knicks are trying to come up with a third team to help the Knicks snare --drum roll please -- LaFrentz and Van Exel. Who are the Knicks offering? Either Latrell Sprewell or Marcus Camby, according to the Post.

The Post isn't the only only one who thinks the Knicks and Nuggets are talking. The New York Times is reporting that the Knicks and Nuggets are discussing two scenarios, both including Camby instead of Sprewell. The first would send Van Exel and James Posey to New York in exchange for Camby and Mark Jackson. The second would send LaFrentz and Van Exel to the Knicks in return for Camby, Jackson and either Travis Knight or Felton Spencer. (Note: Spencer cannot be traded because he is a one-year "Bird rights" player).

Why would the Nuggets entertain dumping two of their three best players for the Knicks', or a third team's baggage? Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe is itching to recreate this team in his own image. That's why they're considering dumping Van Exel (and his huge salary) and LaFrentz (who will demand a huge salary this summer). However, to get a deal done, the Knicks must come up with players in the last year or two of their contracts. Since Othella Harrington is the only Knick that fits that bill, they're trying to get a third team involved willing to part with players with more manageable contracts or young players who fit Vandeweghe's vision.

Both reports say that talks are preliminary and nothing is likely to happen until the Feb. 21 deadline.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
2/12/2002  10:04 AM
Dave D has some very harsh words about NVE in his article today.
While a great talent, Van Exel is also widely regarded as cap-clogging, coach-killing, media-hating locker room poison with two very bad knees.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/12/2002  3:33 PM
If we did the second trade I believe Thomas would start at power forward over Weatherspoon since he starts over him already. I would give up a 2nd rounder due to the low success rate of 2nd rounders and I might even consider giving them a 2002 draft pick, lottery protected though so if we make the playoffs, they don't get the pick.
#Knickstaps
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
2/12/2002  11:12 PM
Wow after watching tonights game againts the Magic.We despritely need to make this trade happen.These two players can open the game up for Spree and Houston.I pick the second trade.Even if it meant to throw in a second round pick or throwing in Thomas in the mix.Then we pick up Captain-Oak.
Knick2001
Member: #83
2/13/2002  7:43 AM
NY Daily News says the Bucks are the leading team to make a deal with Denver.
Andrew
USA
2/13/2002  8:41 AM
Posted by NYFAN4LIFE:

Then we pick up Captain-Oak.

Even with a trade this team is a long shot for a playoff run...much less a title run. I don't think Oak would come back and play for us when he could probably sign for the rest of the season for a contender like the Lakers. He has said too many harsh things about the Knicks the past couple of seasons to think that he would run right back to the Knicks.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/13/2002  11:11 AM
WE ARE NOT TRADING ANYONE. SCOTT LAYDEN SUCKS AND OUR PLAYERS ARE OVERPAID AND JUST DECENT, EVERY GM KNOWS THIS!
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by NYFAN4LIFE:

Then we pick up Captain-Oak.

Even with a trade this team is a long shot for a playoff run...much less a title run. I don't think Oak would come back and play for us when he could probably sign for the rest of the season for a contender like the Lakers. He has said too many harsh things about the Knicks the past couple of seasons to think that he would run right back to the Knicks.
scylla
Member: #97
2/13/2002  1:36 PM
WE ARE NOT TRADING ANYONE. SCOTT LAYDEN SUCKS AND OUR PLAYERS ARE OVERPAID AND JUST DECENT, EVERY GM KNOWS THIS!

Given what we already know about our roster--injured, over the hill, overpaid--it seems like Layden standing pat might be the best-case scenario. Seeing as Denver seems to have a number of much more attractive offers for Van Exel and Lafrentz, I would much rather we wait until the offseason to try and make some moves. I'm afraid that if Layden reacts to all the pressure to shuffle pieces, we'll end up with someone else's garbage, like Vin Baker or Greg Ostertag.
Andrew
USA
2/13/2002  1:56 PM
Posted by scylla:

Given what we already know about our roster--injured, over the hill, overpaid--it seems like Layden standing pat might be the best-case scenario. Seeing as Denver seems to have a number of much more attractive offers for Van Exel and Lafrentz, I would much rather we wait until the offseason to try and make some moves. I'm afraid that if Layden reacts to all the pressure to shuffle pieces, we'll end up with someone else's garbage, like Vin Baker or Greg Ostertag.

Agreed, and the Knicks might get a high draft pick as the result of it. Preferrably one high enough so the Knicks couldn't screw it up.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
NY/DEN talks heating up/ Spree/Allan not involved

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy