one stat tells why Sweetney's minutes have been down:
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  2:26 PM
http://www.82games.com/0405NYK.HTM

he's the only guy we are -win AND + wihout. Thats pretty bad, most of it is because his defense has been bad. He's just not comfortable there. You can see his scoring game coming along, but he's a deer in headlights on the D.

Its a little scary how BAD we are without Marbury on the floor. We have got to find some line up thats effective without him on the floor.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2004  2:29 PM
A few comments. First, it's hard to know what to make of the stat considering that his +/- numbers were very good last year and it's still early in this season. Second, even if you accept the stats for this year, when you have a young player with good potential, it's remarkedly short-sighted to bench him because of one stat. The correct answer IMO would be to play him at least one consistent stint in each half and work on whatever aspects of his game need improvement.
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  2:30 PM
Its a little scary how BAD we are without Marbury on the floor. We have got to find some line up thats effective without him on the floor.
The team is also very bad without Nazy and Jamal on the floor.
fishmike
USA
12/1/2004  2:41 PM
its not really stat per say. But the bottom line is we are bad when Sweetney's on the floor.

Another scary thing:
http://www.82games.com/0405NYK5.HTM

Briggs will eat this one up because opposing PFs are killing us.

No secret that we are getting nothing from the 3 on offense for the year
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/1/2004  3:05 PM
I agree with Fishmike on most points as it relates to Sweetney. First and foremost, his defense. The worst thing about it is, he seems very slow to react... signs of lead feet, easily taken off the dribble. Sometimes, he looks completely lost trying to play defense. I'm concerned.

I also agree the Knicks look bad when Stephon is not on the court. Brewer looked bad last night and Norris is worthless (in my opinion). You could argue that Knicks don't play well if either Steph or Jamaal are not on the floor playing together. Hopefully this lessens somewhat when Houston returns and it's more a four guard rotation with Steph, Crawford, Houston and to a lesser degree Penny.

[Edited by - Pike on 12/01/2004 15:06:19]
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  3:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

its not really stat per say. But the bottom line is we are bad when Sweetney's on the floor.

Another scary thing:

Fish, do you remember your reaction after the Spree/KVH trade, when I posted that Spree had bad +/- numbers? You basically said the stat was useless and then found other star players who had bad +/- #s as evidence (I think Shawn Marion was one of them that year). Did your view on the +/- #s change?
Pike
12/1/2004  3:08 PM
Posted by fishmike:

p.s. thought Wilkens was wrong not to pull an ice cold Penny Hardaway in 4th quarter for Tim Thomas.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
12/1/2004  3:08 PM
Over a good sample of games the +/- stat is a very effective gauge of a players worth on the court. The fact that Sweetney is a minus implies that something is wrong with his game.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
12/1/2004  3:12 PM
Defense is the issue, and he's been prone to the traveling violation this year. But its an experience thing with him, and he's a slow starter. Last year when he was playing so well, all he was asked for was rebounding and energy (which we lacked). Now he is finally being asked to score and is slowly adapting to that role.
fishmike
USA
12/1/2004  3:22 PM
I dont like +/- when comparing players, because if your team sucks so will your +/-.
I'm also not saying that Sweetney's +/- is why his minutes have been cut, rather its an observation.

All the +/- numbers show in Spree vs. KVH is that Phili was better.

Van Horn +3.1 +1.5 +1.6
Sprewell -1.6 -0.8 -0.8

I dont really see the impact
fishmike
USA
12/1/2004  3:23 PM
Pike... I think TT was out because he hurt his thigh or something. I could wrong, but I think thats why he didnt return.

As bad as Penny was he did get some key rebounds, including one box out on Kevin Willis
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
12/1/2004  3:27 PM
The problem with the 3 is simple, we not getting scorring, assists, nor rebounds. I think the best thing that we could do is to either utilize players that can be a defensive boddy out there a la Ariza or JYD OR an offensive minded player like TT or Penny. The problem is that TT hasn't been pulling his load on offense, and that fact exposed our deficiency on defense. Since the 4 and the 5 are not strong defensively, we have to have a position in our lineup that will produce just that. I would say this much, we all know that the three is a liability right now, I think that the time has come for a change to take place. Allow Penny, since he is a vet to get in there and show what he can do. If he fails to provide a spark after five games, use JYD as the next victim. We will need constant production out of that position. If it rebounds, let it be that. Defense, let it be just that. Points, let it be just that. However we will need an active boddy out there. My three choices are: TT (give him another 2 games to prove that he is still in a funk), JYD (we all know that he will hustle), Ariza (when he has it going, juice him. One thing is for sure, he will play defense and grab at least 6 boards).

Posted by Pike:
Posted by fishmike:

p.s. thought Wilkens was wrong not to pull an ice cold Penny Hardaway in 4th quarter for Tim Thomas.

[Edited by - diderotn on 12/01/2004 15:28:35]
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  3:30 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I dont like +/- when comparing players, because if your team sucks so will your +/-.
I'm also not saying that Sweetney's +/- is why his minutes have been cut, rather its an observation.

All the +/- numbers show in Spree vs. KVH is that Phili was better.

Van Horn +3.1 +1.5 +1.6
Sprewell -1.6 -0.8 -0.8

I dont really see the impact
The point of the plus minus is that it takes into account how good your team is by comparing how the team does with versus without you. You're right that Philly was better than NY. That's why the #s are positive for Van Horn regardless of whether he was in or out and negative for Spree regardless of whether he was in or out. However, even taking that into consideration, Philly was still better with Van Horn on the floor than with him off the floor (i.e., he helped his team). In contrast, NY was worse with Sprewell on the floor than off the floor (i.e., he hurt his team). That's the interpretation if you buy into the +/- #s.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
12/1/2004  3:37 PM
Sweetney is basically Muhammad at ATL. If Sweentey got 20mins a game consistanly he would easily average 10pts 5rebs 1blk. But he doesn't because J.Williams & KT are way better defenders than Sweentey. Yesterday playing against Walker & Harrington there 2 best player Wilkens will play J.Williams & KT over the young Sweetney.

Anyway the blowout vs Boston when Sweetney had 18pts 6rebs in 32mins probably accounts for most of the stat which isn't fair because Pierce and Davis killed us not there frontcourt
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
USA
12/1/2004  3:44 PM
Bonn... by two points. My favorite part about the trade is it got us Nazr 2 trades later. He's not a stud but we needed a center, and got a good stop gap player. MeWell was a pain, but he was good for us when he was here. Right now I dont miss either.
Bonn1997
USA
12/1/2004  4:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Bonn... by two points.
You're right; it's not a huge difference, but how many games are decided by two points?
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
12/1/2004  4:23 PM
I thought that penny played well last night (did he hit a 3?) and Ariza has definitely hit the wall:

So it looks like he's going to be the odd man out with the three guard rotation of H20, Marbs and the kid
and at the sf Penny and TT
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/35520.htm

I can't see where sweetney even fits in when JYD plays such great defense and brings such energy.

Houston with JYD, Sweets and Penny is a good line up filling in bodies (craw, marbs, tt) where you see fit.
all kool aid all the time.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
12/1/2004  5:54 PM
Sweetney needs to play regular minutes and have a set role. Every game he is asked to do something different. One time we force fead him the ball in the post, next game he gets no touches, and the next game he hardly plays, then he is asked to all of a sudden go and score in the post again.

Its about time we had a set rotation with set roles for every player. Lenny needs to get cracking over there.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/1/2004  6:04 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Another scary thing:

One thing I will say for Kurt is that he is at least outrebounding the opposition and the NYK have played a lot of the top PFs in the league so far: J. O'Neal, Duncan, Garnett, Bosh x2, Walker x2, Brand.

The only times Kurt has looked really bad to me was against Lafrenz and Walker the second time. Also that Bonner guy on Toronto.

Kurt is playing to the best of his ability, unfortunately, there isn't much strength and speed left.
¿ △ ?
Pike
12/1/2004  6:17 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Pike... I think TT was out because he hurt his thigh or something. I could wrong, but I think thats why he didnt return.

... that would explain it.
one stat tells why Sweetney's minutes have been down:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy