[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Boy our D is Horrible!
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
12/1/2004  2:25 PM
We are last in the league in FG% defense, and if you take out Atlanta, we are pretty much more than 20% worse that the rest of the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=tmcompare&sort=fg%&league=nba&season=2005&seasontype=2&avg=pg&order=false&split=999

Charlotte - .464
Atlanta - .481
New York - .482

It's amazing that we have won the number of games that we have. Lenny has got to get the team to contest shots and put forth an effort on D...not that we need all defensive players. Our current players are not putting forth the effort.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  2:55 PM
FG% is just one number. Figure your opponent shoots 90 times a game, which is about average for the NBA. The difference between .48% (bad) and 45% (average) is 3 baskets.

Thats easily negated by taking care of the ball (fewer turnovers) getting steals or outrebounding your opponent. Look, its a definate concern, because we dont force enough bad shots, or force our opponents to take them.. however you want to look at it. Right now I dont think we have the personel to do so, but we do have the personel to win on the glass and the TO catagory. Thats not a bad start.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Pike
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #403
12/1/2004  2:56 PM
... to say the Knicks D was bad last night would be a tremendous understatement. At times I felt like I was watching a pickup game... there was no defense by either team.

Knicks have to pick up their intensity (on the defensive end) particularly against weak teams like the Hawks.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/1/2004  3:25 PM
One of the reasons I wanted Ariza on the floor last night (atleast when JYD wasn't). Our offense is what has been getting us through.
If we could atleast throw a couple defenders in there, we may have a better shot at winning those close games.

As great as Nazr has been playing, this just highlights the fact that we need a C with some D.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/1/2004  3:31 PM
When was the last time a Knick team averaged 96.5 points a game. Dang. What are we? The Mavs East?
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2004  3:34 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

One of the reasons I wanted Ariza on the floor last night (atleast when JYD wasn't). Our offense is what has been getting us through.
If we could atleast throw a couple defenders in there, we may have a better shot at winning those close games.

As great as Nazr has been playing, this just highlights the fact that we need a C with some D.
Actually, if you look at the stats on the 82games web site that Fish linked, Nazy's our only frontcourt player who's outplaying his opponent on both ends of the court. I think he needs as many minutes as we can possibly give him.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
12/1/2004  3:34 PM
Lenny needs to take a look at Minesota and copy the style of defense that they play out there. Granted with Garnett any system will look good, but it is pittiful the amount of 3 point shots that we giveup to the opponent. We don't guard the perimeter well at all, and it is because Naser and Kurt are not big enough nor fast enough to guard their men, as a result, Crawf, TT, and Marb have to provide help d, while the perimeter is unguarded.

Posted by fishmike:

FG% is just one number. Figure your opponent shoots 90 times a game, which is about average for the NBA. The difference between .48% (bad) and 45% (average) is 3 baskets.

Thats easily negated by taking care of the ball (fewer turnovers) getting steals or outrebounding your opponent. Look, its a definate concern, because we dont force enough bad shots, or force our opponents to take them.. however you want to look at it. Right now I dont think we have the personel to do so, but we do have the personel to win on the glass and the TO catagory. Thats not a bad start.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/1/2004  3:49 PM
hmm... Garnett, Sprewell, Hudson, Trenton Hassell... they have better defenders than us at every position. Heck, we really only have two guys that even play hard on D, much less are actually good at it.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/1/2004  4:07 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Lenny needs to take a look at Minesota and copy the style of defense that they play out there. Granted with Garnett any system will look good, but it is pittiful the amount of 3 point shots that we giveup to the opponent. We don't guard the perimeter well at all, and it is because Naser and Kurt are not big enough nor fast enough to guard their men, as a result, Crawf, TT, and Marb have to provide help d, while the perimeter is unguarded.

Posted by fishmike:

it's the other way around. Defense starts on the perimeter. Stephon is more to blame for the bad defense and not having a shot blocker to make up for it certainly hurts.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/1/2004  4:22 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

If you play Ariza at SF, he's gonna really struggle against Al Harrington, who has about 40 more pounds of muscle on him than Ariza has. And Ariza has to improve his jumpshot if he's gonna play SG.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/1/2004  5:09 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

If you play Ariza at SF, he's gonna really struggle against Al Harrington, who has about 40 more pounds of muscle on him than Ariza has. And Ariza has to improve his jumpshot if he's gonna play SG.

Yes, but even being physically out matched, I still feel he would defend Al better than TT would have.
But the point would not be for Ariza to be in there really looking for a shot (although, if it's there take it), it would mainly be for his defense, along with getting him the experience.
I see Ariza as our future defensive stopper, that we stick on the opposing team's shooters. A Prince sort of role, if you will.

Well there's my 2 cents, 4 if you want to count my first post.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
12/1/2004  5:50 PM
Our defense is what it is. When 4 our of 5 starters are terrible defenders, what do you expect. The only way we can win is by outscoring people. Thankfully we have a lot of scorers. Right now everybody is averagin double digits, except for Gazy, who will once he comes back from a broek nail.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/1/2004  6:30 PM
our D sucks
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
12/1/2004  7:27 PM
Our D on the perimeter is what is lacking the most. Kurt and Nazr are doing just fine for the interior D despite lack of shotblocking presence. What this team need to do is play in your face man to man D and contest every shot possible. Simply put, we gotta make the other team work for their points. We have athletic players for it whether they are defensive players or not. It is a mental thing.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
UKDad
Member: #31
USA
12/1/2004  10:07 PM
D not so bad tonight. Much better w/o TT in there. Trevor and Sweets adding energy, JYD and KT taking down Pau.. Whoa... Pau looked bad and very frustrated. Even Crawford breaking up passing lanes and constantly tracking down his assignment.
The Old Man of UK...
bernard
Member: #475
12/2/2004  9:19 AM
Perimeter D was good against the Grizzlies ... best this season IMO. Gave up a few Miller open shots, but did an excellent job shutting down penetration. When we do that, our inside D doesn't look too bad. KT does a good job when teams just dump the ball down low and he has time to set up his defensive position. It's when he has to help to stop the penetration and then try to get back to his man that his lack of quickness is exposed. Give it up to Marbs and Craw. Watson and Williams are good penetrators, but they only got inside a handful of times last night.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/2/2004  3:01 PM
Our D is bad as far as fg%, and 3 pt%, but the true reason where in first place is not only because we score a lot, we cause turnovers, and have been capitalizing off of them. We also defend well in the forth qtr , rebound the ball pretty, and don't turn the ball over as much.

We are a short team with no inside presents, no shot blocker, and no individule denders other then kt.

ES
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
12/2/2004  3:55 PM
i give Marbury big props for closing out on open shooters & at least giving a full effort to get a hand in their face instead of just standing there & staring at them make shots, as he has been apt to do in the past when he's lost his man.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Boy our D is Horrible!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy