2/11/2002  11:57 AM
what they say?
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/11/2002  12:15 PM
All-Star Trade Rumors: Van Exel to the Knicks?
by Chad Ford

The big talk of the weekend centered around the Knicks' interest in Nick Van Exel. The New York Times reported Saturday that the Knicks had several internal discussions about making a play for Van Exel -- the talented but troubled point guard. While Van Exel would clearly help alleviate their scoring woes, Knicks president Scott Layden was concerned, the Times reported, about Van Exel's surly attitude. If the Knicks keep losing, he could become unmanageable.

However, those concerns seem to be rapidly disappearing. Two league sources told ESPN Insider that several meetings took place between the Knicks and Nuggets over the weekend. To mitigate their risk, the Knicks are trying to swing a deal that would bring Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz to the Big Apple. They're currently dangling Latrell Sprewell, Othella Harrington and Charlie Ward. The Nuggets would prefer to clear cap room and start rebuilding the team. The Knicks are looking for a third team, possibly the Warriors, to help facilitate the deal.

The Knicks may have some competition from the Raptors and Pacers for Van Exel and LaFrentz. Both teams have interest and players in the last year or two of their contracts they could offer for the pair.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/11/2002  2:10 PM
I would definetly like a deal like that because we bring in two very good players and only loose one of our big three. As of right now, Sprewell, Ward, and Harrington for Van Exel and LaFrentz doesn't work capwise, but they could add someone like Scott Williams and we could add a lottery protected draft pick. The good thing is, it does seem likely Layden will make a big move to benefit the team before the deadline.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/11/2002  2:21 PM
no picks please, let's try to get some instead of giving them away like candy.

I'm not to sure if I would like Nick to be a Knick but if he cuts his salary like promised and if we could deal Chollie of our roster it is a good sideway trade.

Don't know how the general opinion is on this forum but I'mm still all for a rebuild instead of swapping players that will leave us in the same predicament.

Ending contracts, rookie contracts and draft picks are about all that will make me happy at this moment. Not a 31 year old PG with an attitude and a good center who will be looking for a max contract upcoming season. Off all the rumors I've heard I only like those involving Chicago although I must admit I'd love to have Marbury.
john44
Member: #115
USA
2/11/2002  2:51 PM
the trade looks pretty good, but it would be tough to lose spree. i would rather trade camby than spree, i cant stand him getting hurt every year. We cant have a starting center that plays 55 games a year.
Matt
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
2/11/2002  4:03 PM
Posted by john44:

the trade looks pretty good, but it would be tough to lose spree. i would rather trade camby than spree, i cant stand him getting hurt every year. We cant have a starting center that plays 55 games a year.
Thats true or how about Houston,which i would prefer to deal him in this trade.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/11/2002  6:49 PM
This sounds like more of a patch-up then a start to rebuilding. Van Exel has to be in his 30's by now but I guess the package of Van Exel and LaFrentz for Spree, Harrington and Ward is better then Marbury and Dampier for Spree and Camby. Does anyone know the contract status of Quick Nick and Raef?
#Knickstaps
VG
Member: #68
Australia
2/11/2002  7:47 PM
I like the trade but if I was Layden, I would try to trade Houston before Sprewell. I don't think Houston and Van Exel can co-exist while a Spree-Van Exel backcourt would be one of the best in the NBA. Trading away Houston's contract would be a very good move cap-wise and I truly believe Spree would be way more effective if he switched back to the 2 position.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
2/11/2002  9:31 PM
If we're going to do another patch up job I'd rather see the Knicks bring the Oak-man back. What we really need is a young, talented, durable big man. (I know that's not Oak, but if we can't get someone like this, I'd rather get back some of that old Knick 'tude).
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/11/2002  10:50 PM
A young, talented, durable big man would be Raef LaFrentz, who we'd get in the deal.
#Knickstaps
espn insider today, spree for exel

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy