Check This Huge!!!
Author Thread
kubie1084
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #19
USA
2/8/2002  2:24 PM
Got it from the bskball.com newsletter:

well placed NBA source suggests the possibility of a huge trade involving 3 teams and 6 players, two of them All-Stars. The monster deal, if it comes to pass, would send Stephon Marbury and Erick Dampier to the New York Knicks, Latrell Sprewell and Marc Jackson to the Phoenix Suns, and Marcus Camby to Golden State along with an unprotected first round pick from Phoenix and a player to be named Alton Ford. The deal, which is said to be set for final discussions in Philadelphia this weekend, would appear to solve a number of problems for each of the teams involved and would be a considerable addition to the foundations of a near-deal between the Suns and Warriors earlier this week. Also lending some credibility is the Knicks stated interest in Dampier, as well as the confusingly mixed messages Golden State coach Brian Winters has sent recently about his logjam at center: in various radio appearances. Winters has given Adonal Foyle the nod as his best defensive presence in the middle, yet Foyle's minutes have suddenly declined in recent games after the New York Post reported the Knicks' interest in Dampier. A quick check by NEWS@ of the salary cap implications involved, suggests that the rumored deal is close to a perfect fit. No action on the move is expected, according to the source, before the end of the ALL-STAR weekend.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/8/2002  3:00 PM
so, in summary, Stephon Marbury and Erick Dampier for Spree and Camby.

Marbury/Dampier for Spree/Camby.

My guess is that fillers would have to be added for salaries to match.

We get a penetrating point guard who has the will to win. We get a low post big man. Spoon starts at the 3-spot.

I do this deal.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/8/2002  4:06 PM
Hmmm, Marbury just got charger with DUI, his time might be up in Pheonix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0208/1325308.html

Maybe they would like a good, god loving, non sinning point guard for a change.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/8/2002  6:25 PM
I would only do this deal if we got a draft pick. I don't know why everyone is sooo willing to trade Spree. If he got traded to a team with a decent Point Guard and a legitimate low-post threat he would really develop into an amazing player. Our team provides neither for that to happen. I say keep Spree! but if this trade were to go down I would definitely think we would be giving up more than we know at this point in time. Add a pick for us and it would be a fair deal.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
2/8/2002  6:44 PM
Here is what I don't understand: Why would Phoenix trade Marbury for Sprewell when they already have Penny at the 2 and Marion at the 3?? Also the trade leaves us with 4 point-guards. Still I'd do the trade if it was up to me. Marbury despite his reputation of being selfish, averages something like 9 assists and he is a fabulous player to have in the clutch.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/8/2002  7:04 PM
Penny would play point, Spree 2, Marion 3. Penny actually likes playing point better from what I have read and usually brings the ball up. He brought it up the entire second half when the Knicks played the Suns last time. We would have to unload a point guard, because you simply can't play with 4 of them on your roster and taking up a tremendous amount of cap space. Also, maybe with the pick they trade that and either Dampier or Harrington for Oakley, Knicks would start Marbury, Houston, Weatherspoon, Oakley, Thomas. Oakley being in the final year of his contract makes him very intriguing for the Knicks and could be step 1 of a multi-step process to get back to normal cap limits.

Also, Oakley could play the mentor role he kind of played in Toronto with Vinsanity, he could do the same with Marbury, who is still very young. God, I'm frothing at the mouth with this trade. Oakley back, Camby, that bum, gone, STARbury in NYC, God, Oakman to keep Stephon in check, good God, I just pied my pants, gonna go clean myself up.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 02/08/2002 19:16:39]
#Knickstaps
BigSm00th
USA
2/8/2002  7:08 PM
Also, Phoenix might want one of our point guards because they wouldn't have much depth with Penny, then I think Tony Delk is his backup but they would need some depth at guard, so maybe they could take Ward or Eisley off our hands. Hopefully.
#Knickstaps
RMucerino
Member: #204
USA
2/8/2002  9:27 PM
Would I trade Spree for MArbury... Would you if you were Phoenix? I love Spree and taking in to account the fade in fade out history of Houston. All right I won't go there.... If I werte Phoenic if it were a Spree for Hardaway I would but otherwise .... eeeeeeennnnnn Wrong answer irregardles of his DUI Marbury has the most upside.
BigSm00th
USA
2/8/2002  10:01 PM
Yeah, but if Phoenix is finally getting a scoring big man in Mark Jackson I think they might, becuase Penny can play point, they really wouldn't have any holes in the starting 5.
#Knickstaps
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/8/2002  10:23 PM
Posted by kubie1084:

Got it from the bskball.com newsletter:

well placed NBA source suggests the possibility of a huge trade involving 3 teams and 6 players, two of them All-Stars. The monster deal, if it comes to pass, would send Stephon Marbury and Erick Dampier to the New York Knicks, Latrell Sprewell and Marc Jackson to the Phoenix Suns, and Marcus Camby to Golden State along with an unprotected first round pick from Phoenix and a player to be named Alton Ford. The deal, which is said to be set for final discussions in Philadelphia this weekend, would appear to solve a number of problems for each of the teams involved and would be a considerable addition to the foundations of a near-deal between the Suns and Warriors earlier this week. Also lending some credibility is the Knicks stated interest in Dampier, as well as the confusingly mixed messages Golden State coach Brian Winters has sent recently about his logjam at center: in various radio appearances. Winters has given Adonal Foyle the nod as his best defensive presence in the middle, yet Foyle's minutes have suddenly declined in recent games after the New York Post reported the Knicks' interest in Dampier. A quick check of the salary cap implications involved, suggests that the rumored deal is close to a perfect fit. No action on the move is expected, according to the source, before the end of the ALL-STAR weekend.

I don't get the newsletter, so thanks kubie1084. Keep us informed if you see other Knicks news from the bskball.com newsletter.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
killacross
Member: #58
USA
2/9/2002  12:48 AM
This would be very interesting if this trade went down. If we give up spree and camby and are left with 4 pgs you know another trade would follow it up. BTW i see trading for oakley pointless, why pick up his salary now when we can wait a couple more weeks for him to clear waivers then sign him for 1.25? I would hope that we could work some type of deal that would where we would land artest for a pg and something else. marbury, houston, artest, dampier, and kt starting with any pg, spoon, and othella off the bench... looks a lot better than right now and a lot better for the future.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/9/2002  4:25 PM
You should drop by their site, you currently can get a free trial subscritption which might be interesting since the deadline is nearing. If Andrew takes the first and Martin the second you'll be covered untill the deadline.

Me myself have already had a free trial but nothing of intrest came up then.
Check This Huge!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy