[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Acquiring Curry outside the normal way????
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/29/2004  1:54 PM
Yes. If IT trades for him then he must be good. I was questioning IT with the KVH/TT trade but the emergence of "Key to the Trade" Nazr has me accepting the trade somewhat. So far the only trade I can question is the Weatherspoon/Moochie trade. Hotdog neck at least gave us some entertainment from his famous neck, to squaring off with Karl Malone to dunking on Yao. His contract is shorter than Moochie and would have been a trade commodity this February. Hey, hindsight is 20/20. I am not sure if Moochie has given us anything at this point.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/29/2004  1:55 PM
I disagree... you have to look at factors. The only thing stopping Curry is Curry. Someone like Swift has a guy named Gasol playing the same position. Nene isnt going anywhere, so forget that. Kwame has shown what he can do, his problem has been injuries more than anything else.

The knock on Curry is he's got bad work habits and he shows up every year out of shape. Now this year is his contract year and he its the first he wasnt fat for training camp.

I have no problem with getting Curry. He's 21 and he's gotten better every year he's been in the league. I just dont think he's a best fit for Crawford and Marbury who would be better off playing with a more athletic defesive type center.

Getting Curry would be a nice piece moving forward. I would rather have Swift myself, but I guess it all depends on the price as well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/29/2004  1:58 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by fishmike:

At this point I am still trusting Isiah with young players. If he traded for Curry I would have some faith in him and his belief they could get Curry going. The thing that scares me is getting into a bidding wat against ourselves and having to pay Curry $10mm a year to be the next Tractor Trailer when he had one good half of ball in his contract year.

I would much rather invest in Swift, who plays his ass off every minute he's on the floor and has improved in each area every year. He's not a center like Camby wasnt a center but he's a PERFECT fit for the two guys you know arent going anywhere, and thats Marbury and Crawford.

Swift would be good addition.A high energy player like that could do wonders for the team.

it can also get us killed against the San Antonio, miami and Detroit's of the world. Remember 1999, run and gun work in the east but once they played a real team they were spanked because they had no one to match duncan and D-rob numbers with Ewing hurt. Curry is capable

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/29/2004 13:59:12]
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
11/29/2004  2:00 PM
what is with you all and all the 6'9" PF/C??? I don't care about them too short out of positions type of players. We need big boddies 6'11" 7'+ Centers.

Posted by fishmike:

I disagree... you have to look at factors. The only thing stopping Curry is Curry. Someone like Swift has a guy named Gasol playing the same position. Nene isnt going anywhere, so forget that. Kwame has shown what he can do, his problem has been injuries more than anything else.

The knock on Curry is he's got bad work habits and he shows up every year out of shape. Now this year is his contract year and he its the first he wasnt fat for training camp.

I have no problem with getting Curry. He's 21 and he's gotten better every year he's been in the league. I just dont think he's a best fit for Crawford and Marbury who would be better off playing with a more athletic defesive type center.

Getting Curry would be a nice piece moving forward. I would rather have Swift myself, but I guess it all depends on the price as well.
The true Knickabocker..........
NYKBocker
USA
11/29/2004  2:01 PM
fishmike

You want Swift because of his high energy and dunking ways. Aren't we getting that from Nazr already. Plus Nazr is taller and longer. I am pretty impressed with Nazr right now with his post moves. Also, when he gets the ball down low, watch him make himself bigger. He extends fully and gets his shot off from the highest point. He also seems to learn from his mistakes. I remember him getting stopped on one occassion then on the next time down court he goes more aggressively to get his shot off.

I am not familiar with Swift but I do remember a writer quoting somebody that writes for the Grizzlies that they called him Stromile "Not to swift" Swift. Can't really trust beat writers though.
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
11/29/2004  2:04 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by fishmike:

At this point I am still trusting Isiah with young players. If he traded for Curry I would have some faith in him and his belief they could get Curry going. The thing that scares me is getting into a bidding wat against ourselves and having to pay Curry $10mm a year to be the next Tractor Trailer when he had one good half of ball in his contract year.

I would much rather invest in Swift, who plays his ass off every minute he's on the floor and has improved in each area every year. He's not a center like Camby wasnt a center but he's a PERFECT fit for the two guys you know arent going anywhere, and thats Marbury and Crawford.

Swift would be good addition.A high energy player like that could do wonders for the team.

it can also get us killed against the San Antonio, miami and Detroit's of the world. Remember 1999, run and gun work in the east but once they played a real team they were spanked because they had no one to match duncan and D-rob numbers with Ewing hurt.

You just named 2 of the 50 greatest players in NBA history that we lost to so you have to put it in perspective.The same thing goes for Shaq,we cant pass on a player because he cant match up with him or other future hall of famers.Who can? Not many.Detroit showed that a strong team defense can overcome individual matchups like at center.
gunsnewing
USA
11/29/2004  2:08 PM
Detroit has a frontline of 6'10'' and 6'11'' that is why they are an exception in beating Duncan and Shaq.

Swift gives you better defense than Nazr...thats the biggest difference but i still don't think we'll win a championship with a 6'9'' 230lb center who doesn't play in the post either.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/29/2004 14:12:55]
NYKBocker
USA
11/29/2004  2:09 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

You just named 2 of the 50 greatest players in NBA history that we lost to so you have to put it in perspective.The same thing goes for Shaq,we cant pass on a player because he cant match up with him or other future hall of famers.Who can? Not many.Detroit showed that a strong team defense can overcome individual matchups like at center.

Excellent point. The only way we win that series was if Ewing was 100%. As much as I love LJ, it pains me to watch him guard Duncan in the post.
fishmike
USA
11/29/2004  2:14 PM
Duncan and Shaq kill everyone. Nobody ever shuts them down. But why mention Det? There probably isnt a player in the league closer to Ben Wallace than Stro Swift. You project Swift's play to 48 minutes (something I'm not a fan of) and he's averaging like 26/15. Swift has had games where he's blocked 8 shots. He's strong, he runs like a dear and he can dunk on anyone. He's a vacuum for lose balls and goes high for rebounds.

Forget about other teams... make them match up to YOU.
gunsnewing
USA
11/29/2004  2:15 PM
detroit had the defense with Ben but they were struggling until they traded for Sheed and his low post game. We have Nazr and KT, both have no low post game. Nazr's moves have looked good but i'm not sold until he does it against good centers consistently. I just can't picture Nazr ever being considered a good low post player lol

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/29/2004 14:17:09]
Kwazimodal
11/29/2004  2:19 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Detroit has a frontline of 6'10'' and 6'11'' that is why they are an exception in beating Duncan and Shaq.

Swift gives you better defense than Nazr...thats the biggest difference but i still don't think we'll win a championship with a 6'9'' 230lb center who doesn't play in the post.

Thats about the average height for a front line in the NBA,its more than just how tall they are,its understanding the concept of team defense and being able to execute.

You may be right about Swift in the post however.Sweetney would have to carry some of the load to compensate and Swift would be around for the put backs.He has the hops.
gunsnewing
USA
11/29/2004  2:36 PM
yeah exactly...the problem is Sweetney will not become that player this year. Not until he gets into shape and learns how to play defense. I still think Swift at center at 6'9'' is pushing it.

Curry at C and Swift at PF would be an amazing frontline!
fishmike
USA
11/29/2004  2:43 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Swift gives you better defense than Nazr...thats the biggest difference but i still don't think we'll win a championship with a 6'9'' 230lb center who doesn't play in the post either.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/29/2004 14:12:55]
You just havent watched Swift play enough. First of all Ben Wallace and Swift have the same build. Ben Wallace is listed at 6'9 and is closer to 6'7. Ben Wallace is the same 6'9 that LJ was 6'7.

Swift has a nice midrange jumper he's added to his game, but before that everything was point blank.
Kwazimodal
11/29/2004  2:44 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

yeah exactly...the problem is Sweetney will not become that player this year. Not until he gets into shape and learns how to play defense. I still think Swift at center at 6'9'' is pushing it.

Curry at C and Swift at PF would be an amazing frontline!

The jury is still out on Sweetney long term but I believe he can become a solid PF.He cant do it unfortunately from the bench so Wilkens needs to give him more PT if he is healthy.

To be honest Im not thinking about how trades help or hurt us this season,its pretty much a good bet they arent contending so Id rather see Sweetney get the PT and the experience and if Nazr doesnt pan out that we get someone who does,if not Swift then someone else.

We should wait IMO and explore all options before we trade for someone like Curry who isnt known as a hard worker.Especially,as someone pointed out if we give him a long term contract which would be a big risk IMO.
gunsnewing
USA
11/29/2004  2:59 PM
a much needed risk imo unless we are going to sign Yao Ming or be in the lottery and draft the next Patrick Ewing. I was all for waited 2-3 years til we have some money to spend but that is just 2-3 years too long

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/29/2004 15:00:57]
fishmike
USA
11/29/2004  3:19 PM
fishmike
You want Swift because of his high energy and dunking ways. Aren't we getting that from Nazr already. Plus Nazr is taller and longer.
No.. Swift is much better around the rim and is longer than Nazr. Swift is a bonafide above the rim player.

As for being "not to Swift" this is accurate. He's dumb as a bag of hammers but he's a good kid and works hard and continues to get better.

I'm not looking at him to be a starting center for year to come. I would rather have him at PF, but the bottom line is he represents a HUGE need for this team in what he brings in athletecism and his ability to change the game. He can change the way our guards can play defense. we dont have a frontcourt player that does that.. certainly not Nazr.

If you want a big body Diderton go out and get Ostertag. If you want to put a good ball team together put a guy like Swift with Marbury and Crawford and see what happens.

[Edited by - fishmike on 11/29/2004 15:20:48]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/29/2004  3:50 PM
I think another posibility is by moving the JYD to Boston for Mike Stewart. Boston could really use the JYD, we could take that expiring contract and add in moochi+Baker and add in Sweetney+ Ariza +Sundov to make it work i.e

5.4 stewart
3.5 moochie
3.5 baker
2 sweetney
1.25 Ariza and Sundov

Davis 13mm
Curry 4.3

works

gives Chicago
2 young phillies and 5+mm in relieve next year

Boston gets the JYD for a player who isnt playing. The are over the cap ad nauseum so it doesnt matter.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
11/29/2004  3:55 PM
no way I do that... especially not with Ariza and Sweetney going. Curry just hasnt shown enought to warrant that kind of gamble. We are better off just drafting guys. What happened to being high on Ariza? The 19 year has a bad week and he's a throw in for Fat Curry?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/29/2004  4:34 PM
Posted by fishmike:

no way I do that... especially not with Ariza and Sweetney going. Curry just hasnt shown enought to warrant that kind of gamble. We are better off just drafting guys. What happened to being high on Ariza? The 19 year has a bad week and he's a throw in for Fat Curry?

Curry is 22 years old 7-0 280 with high skills. Sprry but you have to give them something pretty good. Im soured on giving away Nazr right now, but if i can give them the two young prospects + 5.5mm in cap space next year--ill do it. Lets not over rate our guys either. Ill take Curry over Sweetney any day of the week, JYD is expendable and Ariza+ the cap space fills the bill. if we gave up

JYD
Sweetney
Ariza
and added
Curry
Davis

are we not better? remember we have an expressway into our lane. we need some bigger guys in there. I dont care about the age because im getting back young. im sorry but they arent taking vin baker and moochie norris for curry you have to give them something good.
RIP Crushalot😞
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/29/2004  4:42 PM
I agree, sweetney and ariza will not retire as knicks, and steph and jamal aren't getting any younger. We have this year and next to make a run at this thing and I'm all forgiving up who ever it takes to get this squad more balance on both ends of the court.

Just think of the players that have been with the same team since there arival in the NBA, bet you can't count them on one hand.
ES
Acquiring Curry outside the normal way????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy