[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Acquiring Curry outside the normal way????
Author Thread
JUNKMEIN
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #797
11/28/2004  12:47 PM
Howdy Folks. I just saw some highlights of the Chicago vs Cleveland game. Lebron and Co. really smoked them. However, I saw some of the post moves by Curry and I have to say he looked as good as he did when he toasted us last year (in the 1st half anyway ). I under no circumstances want to trade Sweetney or Nazr to get Curry (although I might consider Kurt). Of course I know you've got to give something to get something. Nevertheless, are there any ways any and all of the good and bad trade aficianados can think of that we could acquire this guy without giving up our core of young players. That's the question. I'll start it off with saying that I predict Curry is gonna hold the Bulls and whatever team they want to trade him to hostage by letting them know that he will not resign for the long term with any new team not on the East Coast. That's where Isiah, the Knicks and especially Jamal come into play. Casting this out to the wind.
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/28/2004  12:55 PM
Curry is definitely within reach right now. The question is how much do you want to give up for him? The way Nazr is playing right now I wouldn't give the Bulls too much.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
JUNKMEIN
11/28/2004  1:03 PM
So are you saying you'd give Nazr up for Curry...or not. I'm as guilty of saying that Nazr doesn't have the talent level of most centers in the league. However, all I know is he's damn near money on his jump hook and shockingly good with his jumper off the backboard. s3231, we all know the parameters at this time and the looming trade period coming up soon. We want your best guesstimate on how we could get this turkey and put him in the oven without giving up the dressing and macaroni and cheese....ohh, lord I didnt' realize how much the season had gotten to me (btw, deep fried turkey is my favorite as i've damn near disowned roasted turkey after trying it fried).

[Edited by - JUNKMEIN on 11/28/2004 13:04:31]
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/28/2004  1:11 PM
Posted by s3231:

Curry is definitely within reach right now. The question is how much do you want to give up for him? The way Nazr is playing right now I wouldn't give the Bulls too much.

I'd have to say that only our coaching staff knows how much potential players like Nazr and Sweets have at this point. I am GUESSING that Nazr is reaching his potential very quickly. He is at best a very, very good backup C on a team that is headed to a long playoff run. Nazr benefits greatly because Kurt is hitting his shots with regularity and Marbury and Crawford are doing very good jobs with the ball, both in terms of distribution and shooting.

With a guy like Kurt, you want him to be the second option on offense - the pick-and-roll with Marbury. Or you want him shooting jumpers on the weak side of a post player. Nazr is just getting garbage shots these days, nothing more.

You team Kurt with a guy like Curry and you have a deadly combination IF Curry can live up to some of his potential. I'd give up Nazr and Sweets in a heartbeat for someone like Curry. Heck, look at what the coaching staff and the general mix of guys who are on the floor have done for the likes of Nazr.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
11/28/2004  1:14 PM
Here is one question I have.

Crawford had a not so good reputation in Chicago. So does Curry. And now look at what a change in environment has done for the guard. Craw now has professional players around him, a solid coaching staff, and an all-star who takes the heat off of everyone. I am guessing that Curry, in the right situation, would benefit as much. Anyone agree?
JUNKMEIN
11/28/2004  1:23 PM
Martin,

Did the Pilgrims eat Turkey or Roast Duck many moons ago? Of course...well my penny opinion anyway...is that Curry would flourish here in NYC with Marbury and Crawford. I just go back to the second game against Chicago last year when Jamal hit the last second jumper to beat us. I was just thinking man imagine if these two kids had someone like Marbury playing with them. Add JYD to the mix and you've got the Knickerbullers Hey, work with me.
s3231
USA
11/28/2004  1:37 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by s3231:

I'd have to say that only our coaching staff knows how much potential players like Nazr and Sweets have at this point. I am GUESSING that Nazr is reaching his potential very quickly. He is at best a very, very good backup C on a team that is headed to a long playoff run. Nazr benefits greatly because Kurt is hitting his shots with regularity and Marbury and Crawford are doing very good jobs with the ball, both in terms of distribution and shooting.

With a guy like Kurt, you want him to be the second option on offense - the pick-and-roll with Marbury. Or you want him shooting jumpers on the weak side of a post player. Nazr is just getting garbage shots these days, nothing more.

You team Kurt with a guy like Curry and you have a deadly combination IF Curry can live up to some of his potential. I'd give up Nazr and Sweets in a heartbeat for someone like Curry. Heck, look at what the coaching staff and the general mix of guys who are on the floor have done for the likes of Nazr.

I completely agree. I've been saying for a long time now that Nazr can help us land a decent Center. I like Nazr, but I realize that he won't be the guy that can get us to the top. I also agree that Curry and Kurt could form a lethal frontcourt for us. Curry is so good down low, put him with Stephon and you have a great combination.

When I said, "The way Nazr is playing right now I wouldn't give the Bulls too much," I was basically saying that there is no need to overpay for Curry. For example, a deal like Mike Sweetney, Penny Hardaway, and Nazr Mohammed for Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, and Eric Piatkowski most likely would have gotten us Curry earlier on. Now, however, I'm not sure if I would do that deal with the way Nazr is playing right now. I'm not saying that Nazr's improved play shows that he can be the man in the middle for us in the long run, I just think we should use him wisely especially if he continues to improve his value.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/28/2004  1:44 PM
JUNK, I gotta say, I'm loving the Thanksgiving analogies.
As far as Curry, I would welcome him in NY, but I WOULD NOT give up Sweetney for him. I see too bright of a future for him, especially with Aguire working with him, and saying Sweetney will be better than he was.
If anything, I would like to see maybe a sign and trade in the offseason.
s3231
USA
11/28/2004  1:45 PM
Posted by JUNKMEIN:

So are you saying you'd give Nazr up for Curry...or not. I'm as guilty of saying that Nazr doesn't have the talent level of most centers in the league. However, all I know is he's damn near money on his jump hook and shockingly good with his jumper off the backboard. s3231, we all know the parameters at this time and the looming trade period coming up soon. We want your best guesstimate on how we could get this turkey and put him in the oven without giving up the dressing and macaroni and cheese....ohh, lord I didnt' realize how much the season had gotten to me (btw, deep fried turkey is my favorite as i've damn near disowned roasted turkey after trying it fried).

[Edited by - JUNKMEIN on 11/28/2004 13:04:31]

I would definitely give up Nazr for Curry. The Bulls wouldn't do that however. They would want Nazr along with Sweets or Kurt. A deal like that, I would have to think about. The way Nazr is playing right now I don't think we should have to give up a lot for Curry especially since he is coming off the bench now. I would like to have Curry on this team as much as anyone else, but I also realize that we have to use our assets wisely. If the Bulls want too much for Curry then I don't think it is worth going after him while a guy like Sam Dalembert is also attainable.
martin
USA
11/28/2004  1:46 PM
Posted by JUNKMEIN:

Martin,

Did the Pilgrims eat Turkey or Roast Duck many moons ago?

oh man, Chinatown-style, hanging-in-the-window duck is one of my fav dishes, mmmmm. It's greasy, but done right, and it's deeeelcious.

I've heard that deep fried turkey is the bomb, but have never had it. I await having the dish.
martin
USA
11/28/2004  1:49 PM
Posted by s3231:

When I said, "The way Nazr is playing right now I wouldn't give the Bulls too much," I was basically saying that there is no need to overpay for Curry. For example, a deal like Mike Sweetney, Penny Hardaway, and Nazr Mohammed for Eddy Curry, Antonio Davis, and Eric Piatkowski most likely would have gotten us Curry earlier on. Now, however, I'm not sure if I would do that deal with the way Nazr is playing right now. I'm not saying that Nazr's improved play shows that he can be the man in the middle for us in the long run, I just think we should use him wisely especially if he continues to improve his value.

I would trade for Curry - and I would do the Curry/Piatkowski/Davis for Nazr/Penny/Sweets deal in a half a second - but I would not pay him a max contract or anything. Maybe something along the lines of what Crawford got, but nothing more.

Nazr has improved, but won't get you anywhere past the first round. An improved Curry could put you into contention.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/28/2004  2:18 PM
I don't know Martin.. Curry should be playing great this year but he's not. He's scoring but his minutes are low problably because he's still not motivated and problably never will be. It's a tough call. If you think Curry will become a 20 & 10 player and Nazr is a fluke then go for it. Like someone else said it depends on what the organization thinks.
martin
USA
11/28/2004  2:24 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I don't know Martin.. Curry should be playing great this year but he's not. He's scoring but his minutes are low problably because he's still not motivated and problably never will be. It's a tough call. If you think Curry will become a 20 & 10 player and Nazr is a fluke then go for it. Like someone else said it depends on what the organization thinks.

Agreed. I don't think Nazr's play is a fluke, but I will say that he is playing the best of his career.

I am sure Isiah has been asking Crawford, JYD what they think of Curry and have dissected this down to a science.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/28/2004  2:44 PM
nazr is playing VERY good right now but i think you have to make a trade for curry. 21 years old and potentially the center for the next 10 years. it's all about potential but it's a risk you have to take as a gm.

the only real question is, do you give up sweets to get him?

i would.
s3231
USA
11/28/2004  2:48 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by s3231:

I would trade for Curry - and I would do the Curry/Piatkowski/Davis for Nazr/Penny/Sweets deal in a half a second - but I would not pay him a max contract or anything. Maybe something along the lines of what Crawford got, but nothing more.

Nazr has improved, but won't get you anywhere past the first round. An improved Curry could put you into contention.

I agree that Nazr won't bring us to the Championship or even the Finals. However, if he continues to improve his value and Curry continues to show nothing, then I admit that I would have to think hard about that 6 player deal. If it was earlier in the season, I would have done the deal in a heartbeat. Mohammed though, is increasing his value a lot right now so I would have a tough time giving up two of our best assets in Nazr and Sweets for someone like Curry. I'm certainly not saying that I wouldn't do that deal, but, I think the way things are right now we should get him for a cheaper price.
JUNKMEIN
11/28/2004  2:49 PM
MaTT4281 How would a sign and trade work under our current cap and personel situation? As I said earlier the only way that I see us getting Curry outside of a trade (Sweetney & Nazr) is if Curry holds the Bulls and a trading partner hostage. As I think about it i'm guessing that's why he hasn't been traded already. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Memphis offered Swift for Curry (it's been reported West wants him) and Paxson agreed to it but Curry nixed the idea by simply saying I won't resign with Memphis. Beyond that I don't know of any other way but i'm certainly open to hearing different perspectives.

[Edited by - JUNKMEIN on 11/28/2004 14:55:47]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/28/2004  3:06 PM
can't we give Curry the midlevel exception in the offseason or will he already be traded by then?
martin
USA
11/28/2004  3:09 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

can't we give Curry the midlevel exception in the offseason or will he already be traded by then?

just no way Curry will sign anywhere for the mid-level. It's just not enough. I see Curry traded this year or sign-and-traded after the season.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/28/2004  3:19 PM
MaTT4281 How would a sign and trade work under our current cap and personel situation?

The same way it worked for Jamal. Our current cap situation is the exact reason for the sign and trade. We don't have the cap room to sign him long term, so we would have the Bulls resign him, and trade for him and his new contract.
I think I'm just missing how our cap and personel situation affects the chances of a sign and trade.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/28/2004  5:29 PM
I think now would probably be the best time to push a Muhammad for Curry deal.

Muhammads #s are no fluke he gets tip ins because he works hard. He also worked hard on his post game and now is more consistant with his turn around jumper which is an unstoppable move. He was always a good rebounder. And he is very good at blocking entry passes or deflecting passes and stole a few balls from guards which should never happen. He isn't a shot blocker or defensive stopper but we did only trade Doleac for him so I won't complain.

New york would be a better environment for Curry because of all the veteran leadership and experienced coaching staff. And He just has to much potential to not take a chance.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Acquiring Curry outside the normal way????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy