[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Free Throws.......
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
11/27/2004  9:28 PM
For something that is free, our team, specially our front-court sure doesn't know how to take advantage of it. Tonight we only went to the line 17 times while the opposing team went 30 times. Out of the 17 times that we went to the line, only Nazr took 2 shots. 108 minutes is played by TT, Nazr, and Kurt combine. For them to only take 2 free throws is absurd. Lenny needs to point that out to them, and hopefully they can take advantage of the free points

TT should average 8 points easy from the lines
Kurt 6
Nazr 5

That is 19 points per game that we are loosing. If you think about it, those 19 points could have definitely helped us in the games that we have lost.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/27/2004  9:45 PM
I'm not even going to get into KT, considering the other thread basically covers everything.
But for TT and Nazr, I don't really think this would be the game to bring up free throws. TT was attacking the basket several times, he wasn't just settling for jumpers. He just didn't end up getting fouled.
Nazr still played well in the post. He wasn't playing any less intense.
They made their shots, I can't complain.
diderotn
USA
11/27/2004  9:48 PM
I am not complaining, but for our team to be well balance, our players have to improve the little areas that need to be improved. Yes, we won tonight, but what if we didn't? You see where I am coming from? This team has a lot of rooms for improvements.

Posted by MaTT4281:

I'm not even going to get into KT, considering the other thread basically covers everything.
But for TT and Nazr, I don't really think this would be the game to bring up free throws. TT was attacking the basket several times, he wasn't just settling for jumpers. He just didn't end up getting fouled.
Nazr still played well in the post. He wasn't playing any less intense.
They made their shots, I can't complain.
rojasmas
Member: #639
11/27/2004  9:49 PM
I agree with the TT assessment. Finally the guy was going strong to the hole, even when he got the offensive foul vs Woods. He played a real good game. Three steals even. This should be the way he always plays. We'll see. But I think also that he should get to the line more. Look at Marbury. Crawford is just like TT. You can't count on them to get easy points at the line.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
diderotn
USA
11/27/2004  9:57 PM
this has been may assessment of this team, our players are settling for the jump shot instead of going to the rack. Don't get me wrong, I will take a win in how ever ways it is won. However, our deficiencies since the beginning of the season have been the same. TT a couple of games did go to the lines, but it won't hurt if he adopts that style of play permanently. I know that it is tough to go inside, because it gets physical in there, but it is also the best way to get the opposition best player off the court. Especially team with Centers like Shaq, Illguskas, etc.

Posted by rojasmas:

I agree with the TT assessment. Finally the guy was going strong to the hole, even when he got the offensive foul vs Woods. He played a real good game. Three steals even. This should be the way he always plays. We'll see. But I think also that he should get to the line more. Look at Marbury. Crawford is just like TT. You can't count on them to get easy points at the line.
MaTT4281
USA
11/27/2004  10:03 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I am not complaining, but for our team to be well balance, our players have to improve the little areas that need to be improved. Yes, we won tonight, but what if we didn't? You see where I am coming from? This team has a lot of rooms for improvements.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but to get to the line, you would have to take away some of the made FG from the players. The main thing that would be accomplished is getting their players in foul trouble.
If TT had gotten all of his points from the perimeter, I would be with you on it. But the fact of the matter is that he drove to the basket, he did what he was supposed to do.
diderotn
USA
11/27/2004  10:11 PM
What about Kurt and Nazr? from what I saw, Kurt just stayed in the perimeter

Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by diderotn:

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but to get to the line, you would have to take away some of the made FG from the players. The main thing that would be accomplished is getting their players in foul trouble.
If TT had gotten all of his points from the perimeter, I would be with you on it. But the fact of the matter is that he drove to the basket, he did what he was supposed to do.
MaTT4281
USA
11/27/2004  10:14 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Nazr did stay focused around the paint, the post basically IS his game.
And as I already mentioned, Kurt is being discussed in the other thread. He is hitting jumpers, he isn't getting fouled out there. I don't know about you, but I think we have a better shot at a W if we are using Kurt in a pick and roll vs. sending him into the paint.
diderotn
USA
11/27/2004  11:02 PM
I will take a win in the worst of ways, but I still think that we should find ways to get to the line as much as possible. Especially with the great foul shooters we have on our squad.

Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by diderotn:

Nazr did stay focused around the paint, the post basically IS his game.
And as I already mentioned, Kurt is being discussed in the other thread. He is hitting jumpers, he isn't getting fouled out there. I don't know about you, but I think we have a better shot at a W if we are using Kurt in a pick and roll vs. sending him into the paint.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/28/2004  12:26 AM
I do think the mark of a championship team is their ability to get to the free throw line as well as playing really good D.

Right now the Knicks just to not have the bruising post player. Kurt and TT are just spot up shooters.

Marb and Craw do penetrate, but Marbury looks to dish first, which is always to a face-the-basket shooter, and Crawford actually tries to avoid contact.

That's just the makeup of the team right now, not much you can do about it. Sweets is still a year off from playing lots of time.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/28/2004  2:09 AM
What a nightmare it would be if we won the championship but Kurt did not shoot enough free throws to make Briggs happy!
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/28/2004  2:12 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

What a nightmare it would be if we won the championship but Kurt did not shoot enough free throws to make Briggs happy!

But if the Knicks did win a championship, you could rest assured that a player at the 4 or the 5 would be shooting a large number of FTs. The Knicks don't necessarily need Kurt to go the line more, but they will need a front court player to do it if they are going to the next level.
Ira
Member: #91
11/28/2004  3:17 AM
With his speed, Crawford should drive to the basket more. He doesn't go to the line as much as he could.
Bonn1997
USA
11/28/2004  10:29 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:

But if the Knicks did win a championship, you could rest assured that a player at the 4 or the 5 would be shooting a large number of FTs. The Knicks don't necessarily need Kurt to go the line more, but they will need a front court player to do it if they are going to the next level.
You can win a championship without having every starting player put up good stats in every category. Who shot a lot of free throws at 4/5 for the Pistons anyway?
MaTT4281
USA
11/28/2004  12:29 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Who shot a lot of free throws at 4/5 for the Pistons anyway?

Last year, Big Ben only averaged 3.6 FTA per game. Rasheed only averaged 3.1 per game for the season, 2.4 with the Pistons.
Bonn1997
USA
11/28/2004  1:43 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Who shot a lot of free throws at 4/5 for the Pistons anyway?

Last year, Big Ben only averaged 3.6 FTA per game. Rasheed only averaged 3.1 per game for the season, 2.4 with the Pistons.
Briggs must be seriously concerned about that team then
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/28/2004  7:36 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:

You can win a championship without having every starting player put up good stats in every category. Who shot a lot of free throws at 4/5 for the Pistons anyway?

True, but that is anomalous. Playoffs tend to revert more to half court games, which puts a premium on a post up game, which leads to big people getting more foul shots.
Bonn1997
USA
11/28/2004  10:47 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:

True, but that is anomalous. Playoffs tend to revert more to half court games, which puts a premium on a post up game, which leads to big people getting more foul shots.
I agree; I'm not saying that it's unimportant to have a 4/5 who gets a lot of free throw attempts. But I think you can still have a pretty good team without one. The Knicks team we see now is obviously not Isiah's final product anyway.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
11/28/2004  11:16 PM
Just some food for thought. We are 25th in the league in free throw attempts (23.8 per game), but we are 5th in attempts against us (only giving up 24.4 per game). So the disparity there not that huge...less than one attempt a game, and thus less than a point per game. In fact we're only giving up 18.6 makes per game and we are making 18.4 per game. So the right now the free throw threads are bit of an overreaction if anything. The disparity in free throw shooting in the last couple of Toronto games was likely balanced out by a few of our earlier games this year where we outshot other teams.

The point does remain though...you want you're guys up front to draw fouls and double teams to keep defenses off balance. Sweetney is doing a good job of getting to the line in limited minutes and there have been several games where Nazr has gotten to the line a lot (though several games the other way too). Ideally Tim Thomas will pick up his offense and get to the line a bit more and make up for some of the shortcomings up front.
diderotn
USA
12/1/2004  12:01 AM
Lenny did a good job relating the fact that our team didn't go to the line enough the last couple of games. Looking at the stat sheets tonight, our boys went to the lines about 41 times, that is a hell of an improvement. Marburry alone 12 times. One thing that we should notice, Marb didn't have that many assists tonight. Perhaps it was because guys weren't shooting the ball well, or because Marb felt the need to be offensively aggressive. TT and Kurt only shot the ball 16 times combine, that is not bad. They made 8 shots out of that. Marb is a much better player when he distribute the ball. However, I will take that W.
Free Throws.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy