Author Thread
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
11/26/2004  8:50 PM
Houston practices for first time this season
Nov 26, 2004

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) _ Allan Houston took what he called "a huge step" Friday toward his comeback, participating in a half-court scrimmage and setting next weekend as the possible date of his return from prolonged knee problems.

"It felt better than I thought it would. It was the first day I did a contact drill in I don't know how long," said Houston, the highest-paid and longest-tenured member of the New York Knicks.

Houston missed the playoffs and 13 of the final 14 regular-season games last season due to soreness that developed after he returned from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

The date of his return has been this season's longest-running mystery surrounding the Knicks, who entered the weekend in a virtual three-way tie for first place in the Atlantic Division.

Jamal Crawford has replaced Houston as the starting shooting guard, averaging 16.6 points but shooting below 40 percent from the field.

Coach Lenny Wilkens said Crawford would remain the starter, although he envisioned using Crawford, Houston and Stephon Marbury together on the floor for periodic stretches.

"I'm not saying that would be our steady diet, but there are times in a game when a team is small and you can take advantage of it," Wilkens said.

Houston said he was hoping to return sometime during the four-game road trip to Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans and Washington that begins a week from Saturday.

"I'd like to play the first one at home, but it really depends on the progress," said Houston, who opted not to compete in the team's full-court scrimmage. "My legs feel better then they've felt since I've been here."

Wilkens said Houston's timing appeared to be off, and Houston said he was tentative at first when it came to pushing off with his knees.

Whenever he returns, Houston will provide a legitimate outside shooting threat to relieve some of the defensive pressure against Marbury on the perimeter and against Kurt Thomas in the low post. But he'll also have to adjust to coming off the bench for the first time since early in his career while trying to mesh with an almost entirely new set of teammates following team president Isiah Thomas' wholesale changes over the past 11 months.

With a career average of 17.5 points, Houston was the Knicks' leading scorer in four of the past five seasons.

Fans have been impatient with his slow recovery and booed him at an open practice during training camp.

"This is a huge step for me physically and mentally," Houston said of practicing. "It was an exciting thing for me."
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/26/2004  9:08 PM
Wow, I can't wait til he comes back. I still can't believe fans booed him at the open practice.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
11/26/2004  10:13 PM
Shit, this is N.Y., if you don't bring it, you will be booed.

Posted by MaTT4281:

Wow, I can't wait til he comes back. I still can't believe fans booed him at the open practice.
The true Knickabocker..........
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/26/2004  11:07 PM
if you dont bring it? how can he bring it when hes injured f uck all the fans taht bood him that day, that sh it was fu ckin disgustin
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
11/26/2004  11:31 PM
Plus all thoese who booed him are absolutely getting ready to eat crow. They know it! They can sense it coming, if they're smart.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/26/2004  11:54 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/27/sports/basketball/27knicks.html
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/27/2004  1:55 AM
When Houston gets his timing and legs back and gets into "basketball shape" He is gonna demnd attention because the guy doesn't force shots , he knows when to shoot the basketball..HE'S A PRO !!!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/27/2004  2:32 AM
Even if he misses shots, just the fact that he is on the court will force other teams to guard him. That's why shooters like him are so valuable(even if you hate him) because they open up the floor for everyone else.

As for those fans that boo'd him, they were not booing because Allan wasn't bringing it. They were booing the contract. Get over it already and root for the guy to help your team.
I just hope that people will like me
H20 practiced today!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy