Team stats through 11
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/26/2004  12:29 PM
Team scoring 94.3 rank #22
Team Differential rank #23
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=diff&conference=NBA&year=season_2004

Team Defense scoring Rank #22
Team Defense FG% last in the NBA
Block shots Rank #22
We are a top 5 offensive rebounding team +2.8 and overall rebounding differential +2

according to the #s we're lucky to be 5-6 I think we were lucky on the JC shot and that lebron was tired, otherwise we would be 3-8. The stats reflect a 3-8 team.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
11/26/2004  12:36 PM
And if the team plain crashed at some point, we would have no team, forfeit the season and be 0-82 already. So we are really lucky.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/26/2004  2:09 PM
those number dont tell the whole story. You have 3 total blowouts in there with Bos, Tor and San. Its like in baseball when a reliever has that one horrible outing that screws you era for the next 2 months.

This group needs to learn to win a game when their shot isnt going going down.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/26/2004  2:14 PM
Fish! be realistic, how can you win games when you have a one dimentional style? We don't have shooters on the court nor a big man that can postup. Perhaps when Houston returns we can add what we know that he can bring in the playcalling.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/26/2004  2:18 PM
we dont have shooters? Really?

And that was my point.. is we cant win games being one dimensional, so we need to find ways to win when our jumper isnt falling. KT cant shoot 60% every night. Crawford cant shoot 5-11 from 3 every night. we need to board or defend or do something to slow down opponenents when we are stuggling from the field.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/26/2004  3:39 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Team scoring 94.3 rank #22
Team Differential rank #23
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?cat1=Total&cat2=diff&conference=NBA&year=season_2004

Team Defense scoring Rank #22
Team Defense FG% last in the NBA
Block shots Rank #22
We are a top 5 offensive rebounding team +2.8 and overall rebounding differential +2

according to the #s we're lucky to be 5-6 I think we were lucky on the JC shot and that lebron was tired, otherwise we would be 3-8. The stats reflect a 3-8 team.

Always the other team, NY doesn't deserve ANY credit for that record! Its true!

And what if we scored in the final minutes of the game against the T-Wolves? Or if the two buzzer beaters against the Mavs, at least one would've scored? Heck, what if Tim Thomas were the Tim Thomas of last season? We would be what? 6-5? 8-3? 11-0?

My God! This isn's a championship contender yet nor this is the last version of the Knicks that we will see in the Isiah Thomas era, but this is the best team we have had in a while, its an exciting young team and its actually winning. When was the last time we had 5 wins after 10 or 11 games? This isn't kool aid, but knicks fans must find a place between negativity and kool aid to be. This is a good young team that will get better with time. We are not there yet, but we are getting closer in every game. We will have our ups and downs but thats normal.

Am I the only guy possitive here?
Knicks_Fan
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/26/2004  4:33 PM
No you are not the only positive guy. I am just as positive as you. I am positive that we suck
I just hope that people will like me
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/26/2004  5:18 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

No you are not the only positive guy. I am just as positive as you. I am positive that we suck

Knicks_Fan
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/26/2004  5:24 PM
There are plenty of positive people here. If you need proof, check out the Kool Aid thread.
BRIGGS
11/26/2004  7:14 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

No we dont sck. But more and more, sports executives are using quantative stats to evaluate effeciency. this is used primarily in baseball and hockey but it is a solid model. you cant brush off the fact that we are dead last in defensive FG% and in the bottom 7 in almost EVERY single category on both sides of the ball. this is what has lead to those multiple pre-season blowouts and the few smackdowns we have taken this year. Its OK when Jamal etal are hitting shots etc... but ANY offensive breakdown would likely lead to a loss with our defensive stats.

I mean we are WORSE than the Bobcats the Hawks the Bulls in FG% D. That is alarming!

One thing that has changed from previous years is rebounding + o - we are currently +2 and we are among the top 3-4 teams in terms of offensive rebounding which is probably why we arent 3-8 or 2-9.

I think the first step in correcting the FG% woes is by inserting JYD into the starting SF spot. I mean forget TT crp offense, JYD reprsents the only viable option IMHO, to have a material effect on the opponents FG%. we are going to struggle in the backcourt, there is no way around it, but we usually can equalize that by our backcourts O. If we determined where the worst +0-spot is, it HAS to be position 3.

If they cant figure out benching TT for JYD, then they have their heads up their arse.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/26/2004  7:46 PM
There is ONLY ONE statistic that matters: Winning percentage. Right now, the Knicks would be tied for the 3rd seed in the east. I want them to have a better record, although I didn't expect a better record after 11 games considering their schedule. I also expect the record to improve as the schedule becomes more realistic. I guess Briggs cares about team scoring rank. I care about team wins. We all have different priorities; that's all. Winning is the bottom line for me, but not for everyone.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
11/26/2004  9:00 PM
A little bit about eFG% http://www.knickerblogger.net/archive/2004_11_14_kb.htm

Traditional FG% is calculated by:

(FGM)/FGA

Field Goals Made is simply the number of 2 pointers made (2PM) plus the number of 3 pointers made (3PM). So rewriting the equation becomes:

(2PM + 3PM)/FGA

It's clear to see that FG% assumes that 3 point shots are equal to their 2 point counterparts. Taking into account the points gained by making a trey, (3/2=1.5) eFG% is simple to understand when you put it's equations next to FG%'s:

FG% = (2PM + 3PM) / FGA
eFG% = (2PM + 1.5*3PM) / FGA

eFG% gives 3 pointers made an extra 50% bonus because the points scored on a 3 pointer is 50% greater. A simpler way to write eFG% is:

eFG% = (FGM + 3PM/2)/FGA.

The guy knows what he's talking about... eFG% is the best way to calc efficiency and defense.
BRIGGS
11/26/2004  9:26 PM
Posted by Mac:
A little bit about eFG% http://www.knickerblogger.net/archive/2004_11_14_kb.htm

Traditional FG% is calculated by:

(FGM)/FGA

Field Goals Made is simply the number of 2 pointers made (2PM) plus the number of 3 pointers made (3PM). So rewriting the equation becomes:

(2PM + 3PM)/FGA

It's clear to see that FG% assumes that 3 point shots are equal to their 2 point counterparts. Taking into account the points gained by making a trey, (3/2=1.5) eFG% is simple to understand when you put it's equations next to FG%'s:

FG% = (2PM + 3PM) / FGA
eFG% = (2PM + 1.5*3PM) / FGA

eFG% gives 3 pointers made an extra 50% bonus because the points scored on a 3 pointer is 50% greater. A simpler way to write eFG% is:

eFG% = (FGM + 3PM/2)/FGA.

The guy knows what he's talking about... eFG% is the best way to calc efficiency and defense.

I would just use the basic FG% because teams vary quite dramatically on 3 pt usage. if you use differential, youll come up the same anyway. FG% defense is the NUMBER 1 priority at Uconn along with running the floor. when you are playing good D it can keep you in the game if you are not shooting well, hustling[running the floor] breaks down in rebounds fast break baskets and limiting transition.

Why is it so important that we correct this ASAP? Because only 5 teams has ever been .500 in the ENTIRE history of the NBA when having a bottom 3 FG% defense. the odds are overwhelming that wed be a losing team if it continued.
RIP Crushalot😞
Team stats through 11

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy