Who does the scouting for the knicks ?
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/29/2004  4:19 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by simrud:

The Jazz had Stockton and Malone runnin it, the Raptors had Palacio and Bonner. Big difference.
Yes.. and while Crawford's shot was obviously huge in beating the Rockets KT shot 11-20 ALL ON THE PICK AND ROLL. You would think JVG who coached KT would know better also, but I guess he's dumb too.

JVG has issues, you darn right he's dumb!

Scouts inform the coach on what the other team did the previous night, but do you really think vandunce or Lenny will listen to them? NOPE EGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KNOW IT ALLS
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/29/2004  4:30 PM
your bias aside he also knows how to coach and especially coach defense.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bippity10
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #574
11/29/2004  6:52 PM
Scouts know everything about every player in the game. By the time we figure it out they are already moving on to another player. It's up to the players to implement it. But let's do whatever we can to take the blame off the players and blame the coach's and the scouts. We have the best team in the league if our coach's and scouts would just not be so stupid.

There is a slight possibility that the plan was to force Milt to beat you. There have been times where I have forced penetration by guards because they make poor decisions when they penetrate. As a fan this is difficult to know. Maybe the scouts missed it. Maybe the coach's went over it before the first game, and then in anger reiterated it in the film room and still the players didn't follow. Maybe that particular coach/scout told his team to go under the screen in the past and Palacio killed them. Maybe they were worried about being forced to switch. Maybe they were worried about creating bad habits by having their players relax on screens and go underneath them(a Marbury trademark by the way)All these are possible plus a million other scenarios that we have no way of knowing because we are not in the locker room.

Every announcer, analyst, scout and coach's through the media have told TT to drive to the basket. For 8 years coach's have been telling TT to reobund more. Yet he still doesn't rebound and it's taken him almost 12 games to start taking the ball to the hoop instead of settling for jumpshots. Yet you think the players always listen and implement what the coach's and scouts tell them.

The pick and roll is the most difficult play in the game to guard. Why? Because no matter who is running it, there are so many variations and counters to your defense that if they run it right you cannot guard it. The NBA had 20 years to figure out how to guard Stockton and Malone, yet they never did. You'd think no matter how good they were someone would have figured it out in 20 years.
I just hope that people will like me
playa2

11/29/2004  8:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

So why isn't he just an assistant who knows how to coach defense???
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
11/29/2004  9:08 PM
OMG, its Milt Palacio. If you can't make adjustments against him while playin 2 straight games, then as a player, you are really really dumb. Or you are not getting the correct advice. This is an instance when it is easy to adjust. Palacio is terrible, one of the worst backup PG in the league, and you know why? Cause he can't shoot at all. Why in the world do you go over sceens or switch? Or trap him? This is just simple team basketball with a coach. You see somethig and make adjustments. The fact that no adjustmen has been made, and the fact that the team is routinely unprepared for matchups, as in it took us 2 and a half quarters to double team O'Neal against Indy, same with Garnett.

You have to be flexble and ready to adjust. In the NBA a team can't play the same way every game, against every player. Habits have nothign to do with this.

You should be able to guard a Palacio gype scrub when you have 2 gams to get it right. Thats it. About as simple as it gets.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/30/2004  11:53 AM
Posted by playa2:
Posted by fishmike:

So why isn't he just an assistant who knows how to coach defense???
He's a pretty good motivator also. You may not like his style but its effective. You can also say he took some players who where regarded as poor defensive players and got them to play defense at a high level. Camby, LJ and Childs were all regarded as average or below defenders until they played under JVG.

Maybe he's just tricked owners and GMs who dont know much about basketball into paying lots of money to drink diet cokes. Who knows?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bippity10
11/30/2004  12:35 PM
My guess is that the Knicks and Toronto and had bigger fish to fry and probably didn't spend anymore than 30 seconds on Palacio in the screening room, but again we have no idea. We can only speculate.
Bippity10
11/30/2004  12:39 PM
Regardless the scouts must have been doing something right because we got blown out in the first game and won the second game. I think winning games is more important to the coach's and scouts than stopping Milt Palacio is.
playa2

11/30/2004  1:04 PM
Yea leaving Bonner open(Got him on my fantasy team) when he's shooting 62% from the field is idotic. Some SCOUTS
Bippity10
11/30/2004  6:56 PM
Again I'm sure they were more worried about Vince Carter and Bosh and were willing to let Bonner do his thing. Worked in the 2nd game didn't in the first.

Teams left Steve Kerr open for a few years and he's one of the better 3 pt shooters in NBA history. Sometimes it ain't scouting.
playa2

11/30/2004  7:23 PM
If you had MJ putting fear in your opponent by driving and dunking making madd shots Steve Kerr is the last person along with Paxon that you are worried about.
Who does the scouting for the knicks ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy