[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Season comps 2004/1999
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/23/2024  11:01 AM
Over the years, we've looked at the 2004 Pistons as a model for Knicks success. In a way, this team is very similar to that championship squad. Lunch pail, all-hands-on-deck teamwork, defensive minded. Not saying the Knicks go all the way, though that would be nice, but it has that same feeling.
Likewise, it feels also very reminiscent of the 1999 Knicks. Like the 2004 Pistons team, it was all about the team, and not star power. And because even though the Knicks finished 2nd in the standings, all the teams from 2-8 were pretty much in parity, this team could just as well have finished 8th (esp with the injuries) as 2nd. And so even with a second place finish, this team has a big chip on its shoulder, has a big underdog mentality, and has the eye of the tiger.
Did we just catch lighting in a bottle? At this point, I'll be disappointed if the Knicks don't go to the ECF, and though I admit that Boston is the best team in the league, I wouldn't be surprised if they were upset.
Hollah back.
AUTOADVERT
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

4/23/2024  11:50 AM
Not a direct comparison with the '99 team when Ewing injured his Achilles before the finals and Randle going out midseason, but both make me sad. And both teams proving to be tough and resilient.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/23/2024  1:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/23/2024  1:40 PM
Panos wrote:Over the years, we've looked at the 2004 Pistons as a model for Knicks success. In a way, this team is very similar to that championship squad. Lunch pail, all-hands-on-deck teamwork, defensive minded. Not saying the Knicks go all the way, though that would be nice, but it has that same feeling.
Likewise, it feels also very reminiscent of the 1999 Knicks. Like the 2004 Pistons team, it was all about the team, and not star power. And because even though the Knicks finished 2nd in the standings, all the teams from 2-8 were pretty much in parity, this team could just as well have finished 8th (esp with the injuries) as 2nd. And so even with a second place finish, this team has a big chip on its shoulder, has a big underdog mentality, and has the eye of the tiger.
Did we just catch lighting in a bottle? At this point, I'll be disappointed if the Knicks don't go to the ECF, and though I admit that Boston is the best team in the league, I wouldn't be surprised if they were upset.
Hollah back.

Good convo thread!

Ewing in 1999 was 36. year before was vintage Pat for 26 games then he broke his wrist and was done for the year. Returned to play in 2nd round after we beat Miami in the opener. We lost the series 1-4. Patrick played 4 of the games.
The next year was the strike short season and he played 38 out of 50 games that strike short season. He played well but was stats/minutes were down.
He played in the celebrated Miami series, and when we swept ATL in the next round. Ewing played the first two games of the ECF vs. Indy and then was injured not to return that season. It was debated that we were better with Camby whose mobility on defense, rebounding and Blocks were notably very good.

Randle has not played since February.

Knicks at 8th seed was not as important as the fact there were in season disappointment and needed as strong finish to qualify. This was to be "Their year". This season Knicks were to be middle of the pack and given how close the records were they kind of were. A nice finish with a weak by Mil and Clev enabled them to climb. Only 3 games separated knicks from 76ers who needed to survive the playin at 7th. Given a mid year trade, injuries to Three starters, one might say they over achieved to some degree vs. under as was the 1999 team.

Game 5 miricle shot got them to advance. Last night was awesome but it was game two. if it was game 7? Oh boy!!!! Epic. We are starved for "Moments" and yes it was lovely. If we go 7 and win, it would be incredible. If we win the series it will be a notable game, but not an epic game 7 kind of thing.

Roster? Im sure we can bend to some similarities but really not much. Starks and Mase were gone. I think we like to relate DDV and Josh to them.

Factoid: Kurt Thomas first knick season. After a rough start to his career where in his second with miami he played just 18 games, then just 5 the next year in Dallas, played all 50 games that strike short season for knicks. He was with us in that era for 7 season and besides that one, and where he played 77 games he played 80 or 81 games for the other 5 seasons. His rep was injury prone with bad ankles. He defied that and was mostly durable with some exceptions. Played to age 40!!!!

two things though are very related to 1999: Rick Brunson was on the roster and Thibs was assistant coach to JVG!!!!!

Season comps 2004/1999

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy