Brunson Question
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/23/2024  11:39 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:He is doing the same thing that he has been doing all season. Same shots. Not going in because sixers are doubling down that the refs will continue not calling enough fouls for brunson. He is getting worn down. I mean the Batum oline blocking drill on Jalen is ridiculous. When he drives the amount of hands ripping on his arm is ridiculous.
U think he has to alter his shot trajectory to get over the 7'0+ wingspans of Oubre, Batum and Embiid.
I don't think so. He has been shooting over taller people all season long. I really think that these guys hitting brunson consistently is affecting his shot.
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
4/24/2024  7:23 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:He is doing the same thing that he has been doing all season. Same shots. Not going in because sixers are doubling down that the refs will continue not calling enough fouls for brunson. He is getting worn down. I mean the Batum oline blocking drill on Jalen is ridiculous. When he drives the amount of hands ripping on his arm is ridiculous.
U think he has to alter his shot trajectory to get over the 7'0+ wingspans of Oubre, Batum and Embiid.
I don't think so. He has been shooting over taller people all season long. I really think that these guys hitting brunson consistently is affecting his shot.

Similar to how deuce drove pass oubre for the and 1.

JB has to take that first move and forget the multiple counters. That’s why he’s having a hard time. It’s different from what he’s done all season. He’s so used to drive, counter, reverse spin, fake. Pulling out every tool in his bag to bait the defense. But they were trained to stay on the ground.

1st move go and shoot. Keep it simple and he will be fine.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
4/24/2024  7:41 AM
DLeethal wrote:Sixers have made it tough on him all year. It’ll probably be a long series but maybe he breaks out. Knicks formula can work as long as other guys hit their shots while they go all out to contain Brunson. Then next round, God willing, Brunson has matchups he will absolutely feast on whether it’s Bucks or Indy. Just survive until then.

It’s a copy cat league so unfortunately he will struggle again and again unless he makes adjustments to his game. He has to play like nobody will go for any moves and just use his first step. Then find room and pull up or pass. Ironically he has to do less to gain more. Sounds crazy but that’s how you beat tall dudes on any level of play. Especially when they are long and just as athletic.

JB knows he’s not fast but he’s quick, so use that quickness to get to your spot and create. It’s not normal for him to use one tool, so he has to practice that. It’s a blessing and a curse to have so many tools to chose from.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/24/2024  8:16 AM
blkexec wrote:
DLeethal wrote:Sixers have made it tough on him all year. It’ll probably be a long series but maybe he breaks out. Knicks formula can work as long as other guys hit their shots while they go all out to contain Brunson. Then next round, God willing, Brunson has matchups he will absolutely feast on whether it’s Bucks or Indy. Just survive until then.

It’s a copy cat league so unfortunately he will struggle again and again unless he makes adjustments to his game. He has to play like nobody will go for any moves and just use his first step. Then find room and pull up or pass. Ironically he has to do less to gain more. Sounds crazy but that’s how you beat tall dudes on any level of play. Especially when they are long and just as athletic.

JB knows he’s not fast but he’s quick, so use that quickness to get to your spot and create. It’s not normal for him to use one tool, so he has to practice that. It’s a blessing and a curse to have so many tools to chose from.

I don't think everyone has the personnel to execute like Philly. MIL and Indy can't guard anyone and Brunson has averaged like 40 on MIL this year over 5-6 games. Philly has quick footed tall wings and a 7'1 clog in the paint.

blkexec
4/24/2024  9:41 AM
DLeethal wrote:
blkexec wrote:

I don't think everyone has the personnel to execute like Philly. MIL and Indy can't guard anyone and Brunson has averaged like 40 on MIL this year over 5-6 games. Philly has quick footed tall wings and a 7'1 clog in the paint.

Very true. I will double down and say Embiids injury is also hurting JB. Because he can’t move he’s always sitting under the rim, where JB likes to operate. JB is a good shooter and ok 3 pt shooter. But his specialty is scoring inside and that’s not available when you have a 7’1 center who can’t move and doesn’t leave the paint.

The answer might to scrap the iso play and run more iHart two man plays.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/24/2024  10:13 AM
blkexec wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Very true. I will double down and say Embiids injury is also hurting JB. Because he can’t move he’s always sitting under the rim, where JB likes to operate. JB is a good shooter and ok 3 pt shooter. But his specialty is scoring inside and that’s not available when you have a 7’1 center who can’t move and doesn’t leave the paint.

The answer might to scrap the iso play and run more iHart two man plays.

Your right, and its what we saw. iHart had that floater available. Too bad Mitch can't get that going.
I do see knicks are penetrating to embiid. Get a foul or wear him out. He has fatigue issues and its paying off. He was not effective late in the game.
Knicks got a bit of a gift. not saying it was Fair or unfair. Philly can feel decent that they played good enough to win. It was close.
Knicks the same. They put themselves in a position to execute and grab the win.
They are not an organically a 7th seed nor are we really a 2 seed. These are teams three games apart that both have had injury issues and finished the season nice. Both teams are playing well coming into the series.

This is no cake walk series. I did not expect Philly to get swept and still don't. Philly did run into an unfortunate circumstance but the margin was thin.
Are they the better team? Down 2-0 I expect them to come out and play for their lives Tomorrow as being down 3-0 presents most difficult obstacle to overcome. Thats a good team whose MVP is not 100%. Thats a good team that is containing our best player and we are missing our second best player.
Im having fun but not strutting like a BingBonger. I'm concerned but up 2-0 is very very nice!!!! The broom is in the closet but I know where it is if I need it!

foosballnick
Member: #3148

4/24/2024  11:35 AM
blkexec wrote:

Philly has been effectively defending Brunson all season. Agree on your copy-cat league comment but not sure other teams will be able adjust and change their defensive schemes so quickly in the playoffs as they will be focused on their current opponents and only have a few days to prepare for the next opponent. Aside from Philly's personnel, I think what's also hurting Brunson is not having Randle to draw attention/doubles. With Randle back next season will be a different story IMO.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/24/2024  12:55 PM
foosballnick wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Philly has been effectively defending Brunson all season. Agree on your copy-cat league comment but not sure other teams will be able adjust and change their defensive schemes so quickly in the playoffs as they will be focused on their current opponents and only have a few days to prepare for the next opponent. Aside from Philly's personnel, I think what's also hurting Brunson is not having Randle to draw attention/doubles. With Randle back next season will be a different story IMO.

The flip side is that this has given the role players even more space to shoot. Our guys are getting really good looks. I think Jalen needs to shoot less and give our guys even more weak side opportunities, especially now that Josh has morphed into Ray Allen.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/24/2024  12:57 PM
This is the worst 2 game stretch Brun has had on the Knicks. 16-56. All hr has proven since he has been here is he is smart enough to figure stuff out and adjust. I think he will.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
4/24/2024  1:04 PM
VDesai wrote:This is the worst 2 game stretch Brun has had on the Knicks. 16-56. All hr has proven since he has been here is he is smart enough to figure stuff out and adjust. I think he will.

He was noticeably upset with himself after the game. Two days off for practice and video review. I trust both Brunson and Thibs in a chess match. Looking forward to game 3.

BigDaddyG

4/24/2024  1:07 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
VDesai wrote:This is the worst 2 game stretch Brun has had on the Knicks. 16-56. All hr has proven since he has been here is he is smart enough to figure stuff out and adjust. I think he will.

He was noticeably upset with himself after the game. Two days off for practice and video review. I trust both Brunson and Thibs in a chess match. Looking forward to game 3.

More JB/Josh PnRs? Or will Nurse wisen up and decide not leave Hart open? Or is Nurse too busy working on that grievance?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
4/24/2024  1:16 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

More JB/Josh PnRs? Or will Nurse wisen up and decide not leave Hart open? Or is Nurse too busy working on that grievance?

I imagine Steph Curry feeling the same way. Gotta get creative to get the man open. But it helps when you teammates can shoot.

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but NBA.com has some pretty cool stat devices here.

https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2024/east-first-round-2/stats

Enjoy.

This is the Randle.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/24/2024  3:21 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

I imagine Steph Curry feeling the same way. Gotta get creative to get the man open. But it helps when you teammates can shoot.

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but NBA.com has some pretty cool stat devices here.

https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2024/east-first-round-2/stats

Enjoy.

very nice, thanks

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/24/2024  8:37 PM

It’s a bit concerning because he really struggles against the Sixers even in the regular season. Knicks were able to survive but hoping he’s due for a breakout soon. I never get concerned he will fall apart in the playoffs, but I still get concerned his size can make him prone to tough matchups. He’s not totally matchup proof but he’s close.

blkexec
4/24/2024  9:46 PM
Knixkik wrote:

It’s a bit concerning because he really struggles against the Sixers even in the regular season. Knicks were able to survive but hoping he’s due for a breakout soon. I never get concerned he will fall apart in the playoffs, but I still get concerned his size can make him prone to tough matchups. He’s not totally matchup proof but he’s close.

This will only help him grow and expand. Learn how to impact winning without scoring. As a point guard that’s a much needed skill. Too bad we live in this position-less era. We are witnessing the negative of not having point guards and centers. He has to be a point guard this series for us to win without Randle. Otherwise he’s going to continue forcing up shots like a SG.

blkexec
4/24/2024  9:50 PM
If that’s the case, we need to start deuce and JB. Let oubre guard deuce and JB cook off the ball.

Different thought but another way to help JB and play OG at center. Gotta pull him away from the paint. OG sitting in the corner as a center will open the offense. Deuce at the Point. The DDV, Josh and Bodega rotate at the forward positions.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/24/2024  9:56 PM
Everyone remembers RJ as a playoff hero of sorts last year but if you recall his first two games were completely abysmal. He bounced back pretty unexpectedly in a huge way in game 3 vs Cleveland and never looked back. I expect Brunson to figure things out and bounce back. Law of averages, he’s due. Frankly the team is due for a lights out evening. We’ve won two games where we dug early holes and played really bad for stretches. This team has shown every so often they click on all cylinders and blow great teams out by 35.
BigDaddyG

4/24/2024  10:08 PM
blkexec wrote:If that’s the case, we need to start deuce and JB. Let oubre guard deuce and JB cook off the ball.

Different thought but another way to help JB and play OG at center. Gotta pull him away from the paint. OG sitting in the corner as a center will open the offense. Deuce at the Point. The DDV, Josh and Bodega rotate at the forward positions.

I don't think that changes the matchup. Oubre would still stay on JB. I like the idea of OG as a small ball center, but I'm not sure that's something Thibs would do this late on the game. We do have a large rotisserie chicken sitting in front of us with Harris tho. I think they can do a better job of attacking him and creating cross matchups.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

4/24/2024  11:38 PM
DLeethal wrote:Everyone remembers RJ as a playoff hero of sorts last year but if you recall his first two games were completely abysmal. He bounced back pretty unexpectedly in a huge way in game 3 vs Cleveland and never looked back. I expect Brunson to figure things out and bounce back. Law of averages, he’s due. Frankly the team is due for a lights out evening. We’ve won two games where we dug early holes and played really bad for stretches. This team has shown every so often they click on all cylinders and blow great teams out by 35.

Law of averages. Shooting poorly in a win vs. a.loss are completely different and anyway he made the second biggest shot of the night.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

4/25/2024  7:43 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/25/2024  7:46 AM
blkexec wrote:If that’s the case, we need to start deuce and JB. Let oubre guard deuce and JB cook off the ball.

Why would a coach do something so drastic when they have won both games?
JB is and will be the target of the defense. They will continue shadowing him with several players the remainder of the series. Sixers have made the decision that other players will have to beat them.

JB just needs to make the right basketball play and others have to step up.
That is the only thing that will make things easier for JB.
Good news is several guys have stepped up thus far.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Brunson Question

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy