fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/15/2024  10:25 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

We should've.

absolutely NOT. What is it about a Carlisle coached team w/ Hali/Siakem/Turner/Nesmith all playing their best ball that says lets play them? They are down Mathurin which is a huge loss for them. Huge. Like us missing OG or Josh. But they are not the best matchup for us IMO. Orlando or Cle would have been best. Ind/Phili/Mia are all different but the same. Carlisle is a great coach and can score 1000 points. Embiid is on one leg and has a history of playoff bed****s. Miami is a pain but Jimmy does not look like Jimmy and he's gonna feel tired fast w/ our wings up his ass from start to end.

I also think it's very possible Miami beats Phili in 1 game.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
SergioNYK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #333
USA
4/15/2024  10:37 AM
fishmike wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

We should've.

absolutely NOT. What is it about a Carlisle coached team w/ Hali/Siakem/Turner/Nesmith all playing their best ball that says lets play them? They are down Mathurin which is a huge loss for them. Huge. Like us missing OG or Josh. But they are not the best matchup for us IMO. Orlando or Cle would have been best. Ind/Phili/Mia are all different but the same. Carlisle is a great coach and can score 1000 points. Embiid is on one leg and has a history of playoff bed****s. Miami is a pain but Jimmy does not look like Jimmy and he's gonna feel tired fast w/ our wings up his ass from start to end.

Experience matters in the playoffs and historically young teams don't do well their first time around. Which is really why I would feel way more confident and comfortable playing Indiana or Orlando. Plus a loud rowdy Garden would have them shook. I'm very confident we would have beaten either team in 5, max 6 games.

That won't happen with Philly and especially Miami. Don't be fooled by Miami's regular season. Haven't you learned? They don't give a **** about the regular season. They coast through it. Playoff Butler is a real thing and the zebras treat him like prime MJ with the calls. Bam has destroyed our Centers and is a dirty player who WILL injure a key player. And Spolestra is the best HC in the league and a master of adjustments. And the cHeat supporting cast always seems to elevate their game. They have owned us when it mattered to them. They should've swept us last year and just beat us earlier this month convincingly. I don't like our chances at all against them. They are that one team that has our number.

I think we match up better with Philly. Of course Embiid is not 100% and can go down at any time. And we'll have a lot of fans in their house with the whole Villanova thing.

So hope and pray Philly finds a way Wednesday.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

4/15/2024  10:46 AM
fishmike wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

We should've.

Those guys are not playing their best ball. Hali #s are much worse in the second half of the year, the team has a worse record in an equal # of games since acquiring Siakem, and their starting 5 has struggled a lot. The team was picked up by its bench after the all-star break, as for Ben is the only player on that team with a significantly negative plus/minus and the bench performed much better after he got hurt and they let TJ McConnell take his on-ball reps. Post ASB TJ is averaging a ridiculous 33 and 13 per 48 minutes on 58/60/87 (granted he shoots next to no 3s but he's made them when forced). I am not saying the Knicks should have lost but if they did they would have had an easier 1st round match-up.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/15/2024  10:51 AM
EwingPSD wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

We should've.

Those guys are not playing their best ball. Hali #s are much worse in the second half of the year, the team has a worse record in an equal # of games since acquiring Siakem, and their starting 5 has struggled a lot. The team was picked up by its bench after the all-star break, as for Ben is the only player on that team with a significantly negative plus/minus and the bench performed much better after he got hurt and they let TJ McConnell take his on-ball reps. Post ASB TJ is averaging a ridiculous 33 and 13 per 48 minutes on 58/60/87 (granted he shoots next to no 3s but he's made them when forced). I am not saying the Knicks should have lost but if they did they would have had an easier 1st round match-up.

Not to mention ... zero playoff experience compared with seasoned veteran-laced teams.

It is what it is, we are where we are, and we have a chance to make a splash and beat a really good team in the first round. We have home court first and second round. Embiid is clearly nicked up, we do match up very well with Philly and had a lot of success this year against them, and we have added some pieces that will help us against MIA in areas they exposed us last year (namely, OG to shadow Butler, an unlocked iHart versus Mitch on offense, and better deep shooting to help loosen their defense).

DLeethal

4/15/2024  10:53 AM
Neither team will expose our lack of Randle either IMO, like a Boston or full strength MIL could. Meaning, teams that will expose our lack of pure offensive talent.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/15/2024  10:59 AM
Can’t believe I’m hearing tank talk now.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2024  11:02 AM
KnickDanger wrote:Can’t believe I’m hearing tank talk now.

It's so stupid IMHO

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/15/2024  11:03 AM
To me if we play Philly - the series rests on Buddy Hield - he scores well on us historically. Usually the way we play defense, teams need to beat us by hitting a high % from 3. Hield, like DDV is a volume shooter hitting 38-39% so if he gets on a hot run it will be very difficult. Chances are OG will be helping on Embiid so that could be mean open 3's for Harris as well.
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

4/15/2024  11:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2024  11:22 AM
martin wrote:

It's so stupid IMHO

The " Tankers " have to complain about something. The Tankers are looking to say " See I was right if the lose in the first round ". Can they lose yes. Boston can lose also in the first round against Miami or Philly so they shouldn't have been the first seed ? This talk is weird. But people can't be happy unless they can say why they are right about something. If the Knicks win the first round they still will argue " It was harder then it needed to be ' I see it playing out already. It's hysterical

DLeethal

4/15/2024  12:22 PM

Well it's a topic across the playoff landscape right now, after we saw two teams in the East tank for position yesterday and now talking heads are speculating that the Lakers might actually tank the first game of the play-in to avoid Denver in the first round.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/15/2024  12:24 PM
DLeethal wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
fishmike wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

We should've.

Not to mention ... zero playoff experience compared with seasoned veteran-laced teams.

It is what it is, we are where we are, and we have a chance to make a splash and beat a really good team in the first round. We have home court first and second round. Embiid is clearly nicked up, we do match up very well with Philly and had a lot of success this year against them, and we have added some pieces that will help us against MIA in areas they exposed us last year (namely, OG to shadow Butler, an unlocked iHart versus Mitch on offense, and better deep shooting to help loosen their defense).

so that's what waiting for us in round 2 where we have home court. If we get beat we get beat. Everyone had BS and injuries to endure this year and after all ours we are #2 in the East, and the #1 seed is vunerable. Truth is there is great parity in the league right now and these 7 game series are going to come down to who plays the best and makes the adjustments.

I like our coach vs. the others in the east. Missing Jules is really gonna hurt but you KNOW the Nova trio are big game players, OG's seen it all, our bigs are ready to bang... guys like McBride/Bojan/Mitch are big wild cards

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
DLeethal

4/15/2024  12:25 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

It's so stupid IMHO

The " Tankers " have to complain about something. The Tankers are looking to say " See I was right if the lose in the first round ". Can they lose yes. Boston can lose also in the first round against Miami or Philly so they shouldn't have been the first seed ? This talk is weird. But people can't be happy unless they can say why they are right about something. If the Knicks win the first round they still will argue " It was harder then it needed to be ' I see it playing out already. It's hysterical

I don't think anyone at all is unhappy. We were just looking for the optimal playoff positioning. Of course anything can happen and of course we can still beat whoever is placed in front of us. That does not make it optimal though. But alas, we are where we are and I believe we are in a house money position as a slight underdog similar to last year when we laced up against CLE as an underdog. I think we thrive in that position.

DLeethal

4/15/2024  12:26 PM
Also, it's fair to rebut the "Philly is 34-8 with Embiid" line with "Knicks are 20-3 with OG line". It's true and a good counterpoint.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/15/2024  1:08 PM
I understand the "rationale" behind tanking. To my mind it isn't really a rational approach but guided by the emotion of fear. But I will rationally seek to address it:

The idea that Thibs needed to rest his players - Knicks have 6 days off before first game and no back to backs afterwards.

"Choosing" whom you face. The idea is to avoid Philly or the Heat. Okay. But what if a hot Pacers or Magic then bite you on the ass? Is getting cute with the unknown a good idea? Also the mentality of a winner. Think any of the Knicks want to avoid an opponent? And what would that do to a winning attitude/culture? What message is sent and received?

What does tanking actually involve? Throwing a game? I think that's illegal. I suppose it means playing Jacob and Shake. All righty then.

#2 seed is desirable.

Lastly, let's look at the history of a tanking philosophy of the two favored teams, the Nuggets and the Celtics. Oh wait they haven't! Then let us look at the top teams that did. Ummmmm...maybe the 7th seeded Sixers a while back? The Pistons are doing a hell of a job tanking! If you mean just tanking for the playoff seeding then it's speculative that the Bucks and Cavs did. Seems they are flirting with a losing attitude. Much rather be a fan of the Knicks at this point.

Anyway, to each their own of course. We're just shooting the s#!t on virtual barstools. It will play out and if we get bounced by Philly or Miami no one will be happy. If we go all the way I assume virtually most of us would be.

DLeethal

4/15/2024  1:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2024  1:24 PM
KnickDanger wrote:I understand the "rationale" behind tanking. To my mind it isn't really a rational approach but guided by the emotion of fear. But I will rationally seek to address it:

The idea that Thibs needed to rest his players - Knicks have 6 days off before first game and no back to backs afterwards.

"Choosing" whom you face. The idea is to avoid Philly or the Heat. Okay. But what if a hot Pacers or Magic then bite you on the ass? Is getting cute with the unknown a good idea? Also the mentality of a winner. Think any of the Knicks want to avoid an opponent? And what would that do to a winning attitude/culture? What message is sent and received?

What does tanking actually involve? Throwing a game? I think that's illegal. I suppose it means playing Jacob and Shake. All righty then.

#2 seed is desirable.

Lastly, let's look at the history of a tanking philosophy of the two favored teams, the Nuggets and the Celtics. Oh wait they haven't! Then let us look at the top teams that did. Ummmmm...maybe the 7th seeded Sixers a while back? The Pistons are doing a hell of a job tanking! If you mean just tanking for the playoff seeding then it's speculative that the Bucks and Cavs did. Seems they are flirting with a losing attitude. Much rather be a fan of the Knicks at this point.

Anyway, to each their own of course. We're just shooting the s#!t on virtual barstools. It will play out and if we get bounced by Philly or Miami no one will be happy. If we go all the way I assume virtually most of us would be.

The idea whether it's with regards to the draft or the playoff seeds always comes down to probability. You try to find the optimal path to success. The optimal path usually is an odds game and there's always a chance it blows up in your face or you lose anyway. There will always be examples of a tanking team that drafts 5th and a team that played til the end leapfrogs all and drafts 1st. But teams still play the odds. Same thought process would go into trying to find the optimal playoff path.

I respect the mentality of the Knicks and of course I love that they fear no one. But the bravest souls are not always the smartest, and therefore the bravest decisions are not always the smartest. Does not mean in any way that our current path does not end up the best path for us. Just that the odds are less.

Alpha1971
Member: #9006

4/15/2024  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2024  2:50 PM
DLeethal wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

It's so stupid IMHO

I don't think anyone at all is unhappy. We were just looking for the optimal playoff positioning. Of course anything can happen and of course we can still beat whoever is placed in front of us. That does not make it optimal though. But alas, we are where we are and I believe we are in a house money position as a slight underdog similar to last year when we laced up against CLE as an underdog. I think we thrive in that position.

I don't know what the motivation is as a fan to continue to argue about it once the game ended. The team didn't agree with the throwing the game for an optimal match up. Cause I guess they know it's how they play that's more important. They are confident they can do what must be done. If they didn't feel that way perhaps they wouldn't win the series against any team, if they operated that way, that you advocate. It's dumb AF to keep pushing that argument. So tell me if they lose the first round you going to say " I told you so " even if there is no proof the team would have beaten the Sixth seed,

franco12
Member: #599
USA
4/15/2024  4:06 PM
Unless we could have gotten Atlanta, I don’t see a clear upside in any opponent. I’m worried with the way we’ve been playing, without Randle, we’re going to struggle.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
4/15/2024  4:12 PM
Philly and Miami are always dangerous rivals that will present a challenge, but really, who isn't? It's the playoffs and most teams have one or a few superstars that can take over a series.

I think that we have a more balanced and more experienced team with depth, three-point shooting and also strong defense. The OG Anunoby move is SO underrated because of the numbers Quickley and Barrett put in Toronto, but it has proved to be the definitive factor in making us a real defensive threat. Brunson is a superstar, and I still can't believe he is ours!

Oh, and lets be honest: if we were #3 facing Indiana, we would still be talking about the missed opportunity of homecourt through the first two rounds.

Knicks_Fan
DLeethal

4/15/2024  4:24 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
DLeethal wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

It's so stupid IMHO

I don't know what the motivation is as a fan to continue to argue about it once the game ended. The team didn't agree with the throwing the game for an optimal match up. Cause I guess they know it's how they play that's more important. They are confident they can do what must be done. If they didn't feel that way perhaps they wouldn't win the series against any team, if they operated that way, that you advocate. It's dumb AF to keep pushing that argument. So tell me if they lose the first round you going to say " I told you so " even if there is no proof the team would have beaten the Sixth seed,

It's been less than 24 hours and it was still the "talking points of the day" today. It's all good, I'm not really the "I told you so" type. I already started a thread looking at our two opponents.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2024  6:16 PM
Yeah, I can see this

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
2024 NBA playoffs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy