[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What’s your opinion? Does this supernova Brunson ascension put pressure on FO to go all in this summer?
Author Thread
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

4/15/2024  12:24 AM
Nalod wrote:Love or hate him, Lebron at his age and miles is freaking unreal what he did this season.
Jordan two two years off, then another three before he played those last two with the wiz.
Jordan Legacy is legit. Crazy good career.
Lebron has played all seasons. and will be all NBA at some level. Unreal.
I hope he gets to play with Bronny and the kid is not a Nepo side show but legit.

It's kind of weird that you bring that up because I have been thinking that LeBron and KD are the two guys that could really cement their legacies by coming to New York over the summer. We'll have to see how the playoffs play out but as currently constructed neither Phoenix or LAL look like they will be winning championships anytime soon. Both have the clout that they can pretty much determine their own futures. Winning New York that first championship in 50+ years would mean more than anywhere else.

The problem, both guys very publicly chose other teams over New York in their primes.

AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/15/2024  7:42 AM
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:The cool thing is going “all-in” could mean a number of things with this group. Without knowing the unexpected, here are some of the different versions of all-in.

1. Locking up our core first and foremost. Making sure all 5 starters are locked in longterm plus deuce and Mitch who essentially are.

2. After that we could either look at Spida or KAT and consider them slight upgrades over DDV or Randle in our lineup, but there’s risk there.

3. Outside of obvious starters, we can go all-in by solidifying the bench in a major way. Convincing DeRozan he would be the ideal 6th man at this stage of his career to dominate for 25 minutes a game would be interesting. Revisiting a D Murray trade and hoping he can adjust to a bench role is a possibility too. We have an elite starting lineup so adding a top 50-75 player for the bench would be something of an all-in.

4. Lastly, we could target a role player who doesn’t have an elite scoring role but adds to what the team already does. This would be someone like Alex Caruso. Overpaying so the Bulls can’t say no and adding him to the bench would make this team a better version of what they are without risk of disruption and running it back to some degree. The Bulls won’t want to deal him, but outside of an unexpected playoff run, the responsible thing for them to do is to restock with first round picks and add youth to Coby White for whatever the next version of their rebuild is. Caruso would be an amazing fit in both non-Brunson and Brunson lineups and would solidify a historic defensive team.

Totally agree with number 1. Although, think they are really good at finding low cost FA that would fill roles. So if IHart and PA becomes too costly, they may look to spin their magic once again.

No no and no on 2. Kat will be making over 60 mil a year. What has he done for Minnesota that Randle has not done for the Knicks. Thibs and KAT?
Spida is another starphuck and will take most of your draft picks but several of the players who are responsible for all of our current positive vibes. Why not wait a year when he is a FA. Let's learn from our past.

Do you really think DeRozan and Murray want to go to the Knicks to be bench pieces? How do you think that will affect our current chemistry? Murray is allegedly not happy when ball is not in his hands in ATL. Bit he will be okay on the bench?

"Overpaying for Alex Caruso?" I'll let you read that a couple of times and see what that sounds like to you?

Think the FO has shown us what their thought process is in the off season several times.
Bring in solid, under the radar talent at reasonable contracts.
The big splash guy most are thinking, is probably not the guy they are thinking of.
Other than OG, who was also not a fan favorite prior to trade, they have surprised us with guys that most thought would not be game changers. And showed how much more they know.

Yeah I’m not saying all or any of these are the answer. Just giving some possibilities. What I will say about Caruso is, outside of injury, how is OG working out for us? Well Caruso is another version of OG. The Chicago team is terrible defensively without him and great with him. So if we want to continue with our current path and think we are really close, paying a premium for him isn’t the worst thing. I’m not talking a ton of future picks or something. The Derrick white trade to Boston is sort of the comparable idea.

Fan of Caruso. Wanted him when he was a FA.
But just don't think he moves the needle enough to give any considerable assets.
And as you said it yourself, Bulls would want something considerable.
Was never big on giving up anything for a possible injury. No matter how likely it is that OG misses games.
Rather draft a defensive prototype to provide the same type of insurance or pick up another FA value. Like Derick Jones Jr. Is one. Has a 7ft wingspan and can guard multiple spots. Can be had for cheap.

After looking at the Knicks when OG plays, do you really not think Caruso would move the needle even a little bit ? He’s exactly the player that excels here. When the Knicks got hart it raised them a level last year. They trade for OG and same thing. Caruso would be just another version of that. I think we have enough sample size to know that Caruso would make this team better.

Mentioned I like Caruso.
Never said he would not move it even a little bit.
Just sid he is not worth "overpaying" as you said.
You mentioning Hart and OG also just brings up the fact that adding one more similar styles player may be repetitive at some point.

But again, no problem with Caruso or similar type players. Just a problem with "overpaying" when the FO can find a deal in FA or a gem in the draft at a lower cost.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2024  7:58 AM
gradyandrew wrote:
Nalod wrote:Love or hate him, Lebron at his age and miles is freaking unreal what he did this season.
Jordan two two years off, then another three before he played those last two with the wiz.
Jordan Legacy is legit. Crazy good career.
Lebron has played all seasons. and will be all NBA at some level. Unreal.
I hope he gets to play with Bronny and the kid is not a Nepo side show but legit.

It's kind of weird that you bring that up because I have been thinking that LeBron and KD are the two guys that could really cement their legacies by coming to New York over the summer. We'll have to see how the playoffs play out but as currently constructed neither Phoenix or LAL look like they will be winning championships anytime soon. Both have the clout that they can pretty much determine their own futures. Winning New York that first championship in 50+ years would mean more than anywhere else.

The problem, both guys very publicly chose other teams over New York in their primes.

If AD is traded, unless a top tier player returns the Lebron Era would be done if lakers are retooling.
The man lives in LA with a wife and kids so relocating is not so easy. As for the money I have no idea what he would want but have to assume it be market value?
His Legacy is cemented in my opinion. 4 chips is not 6 and its not 11 either. Him and Jordan are different players with different careers and both are other worldly for different reasons. They are the best of there era's. As was Wilt, Russell, Jabbar, Shaq and Bird/Magic. Jordan and Lebron might be 1A and 1B? Subjective.
Many don't like Lebron. Not everyone loved Jordan either.

As for them "rejecting" Knicks one might consider the state and leadership of the franchise at those times. Playing in NY has its downside also. An unstable club does not make it easier. Leborn did "the decision" 14 years ago and regrets the way he handled it. As wrong or arrogant as it was he also created a fund raising opportunity for "Boys and Girls Club". The whole Heat thing was infuriating as a fan. Lebron has matured, and he quickly left Riley and the Heat when the going got stale. He used them and visa versa.
I Respect he went back to Clev and fulfilled winning a chip there despite Gilberts antics when he left.
Im not saying Lebron did not always do the right thing or has not been an arrogant prick. So was Magic, Bird, Isiah, and lord knows Jordan was a piece of work!

I'd just as soon win a chip without either Durant and Lebron. But if Lebron wants to be a Knick Im ok with it as long as its part of this team, not the focal point of it. At his age its not prudent.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/15/2024  8:00 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knixkik wrote:The cool thing is going “all-in” could mean a number of things with this group. Without knowing the unexpected, here are some of the different versions of all-in.

1. Locking up our core first and foremost. Making sure all 5 starters are locked in longterm plus deuce and Mitch who essentially are.

2. After that we could either look at Spida or KAT and consider them slight upgrades over DDV or Randle in our lineup, but there’s risk there.

3. Outside of obvious starters, we can go all-in by solidifying the bench in a major way. Convincing DeRozan he would be the ideal 6th man at this stage of his career to dominate for 25 minutes a game would be interesting. Revisiting a D Murray trade and hoping he can adjust to a bench role is a possibility too. We have an elite starting lineup so adding a top 50-75 player for the bench would be something of an all-in.

4. Lastly, we could target a role player who doesn’t have an elite scoring role but adds to what the team already does. This would be someone like Alex Caruso. Overpaying so the Bulls can’t say no and adding him to the bench would make this team a better version of what they are without risk of disruption and running it back to some degree. The Bulls won’t want to deal him, but outside of an unexpected playoff run, the responsible thing for them to do is to restock with first round picks and add youth to Coby White for whatever the next version of their rebuild is. Caruso would be an amazing fit in both non-Brunson and Brunson lineups and would solidify a historic defensive team.

Totally agree with number 1. Although, think they are really good at finding low cost FA that would fill roles. So if IHart and PA becomes too costly, they may look to spin their magic once again.

No no and no on 2. Kat will be making over 60 mil a year. What has he done for Minnesota that Randle has not done for the Knicks. Thibs and KAT?
Spida is another starphuck and will take most of your draft picks but several of the players who are responsible for all of our current positive vibes. Why not wait a year when he is a FA. Let's learn from our past.

Do you really think DeRozan and Murray want to go to the Knicks to be bench pieces? How do you think that will affect our current chemistry? Murray is allegedly not happy when ball is not in his hands in ATL. Bit he will be okay on the bench?

"Overpaying for Alex Caruso?" I'll let you read that a couple of times and see what that sounds like to you?

Think the FO has shown us what their thought process is in the off season several times.
Bring in solid, under the radar talent at reasonable contracts.
The big splash guy most are thinking, is probably not the guy they are thinking of.
Other than OG, who was also not a fan favorite prior to trade, they have surprised us with guys that most thought would not be game changers. And showed how much more they know.

Yeah I’m not saying all or any of these are the answer. Just giving some possibilities. What I will say about Caruso is, outside of injury, how is OG working out for us? Well Caruso is another version of OG. The Chicago team is terrible defensively without him and great with him. So if we want to continue with our current path and think we are really close, paying a premium for him isn’t the worst thing. I’m not talking a ton of future picks or something. The Derrick white trade to Boston is sort of the comparable idea.

Fan of Caruso. Wanted him when he was a FA.
But just don't think he moves the needle enough to give any considerable assets.
And as you said it yourself, Bulls would want something considerable.
Was never big on giving up anything for a possible injury. No matter how likely it is that OG misses games.
Rather draft a defensive prototype to provide the same type of insurance or pick up another FA value. Like Derick Jones Jr. Is one. Has a 7ft wingspan and can guard multiple spots. Can be had for cheap.

After looking at the Knicks when OG plays, do you really not think Caruso would move the needle even a little bit ? He’s exactly the player that excels here. When the Knicks got hart it raised them a level last year. They trade for OG and same thing. Caruso would be just another version of that. I think we have enough sample size to know that Caruso would make this team better.

Mentioned I like Caruso.
Never said he would not move it even a little bit.
Just sid he is not worth "overpaying" as you said.
You mentioning Hart and OG also just brings up the fact that adding one more similar styles player may be repetitive at some point.

But again, no problem with Caruso or similar type players. Just a problem with "overpaying" when the FO can find a deal in FA or a gem in the draft at a lower cost.

Caruso is a good player. We seem to be good with the "dogs" was have already. Add too many and the offense gets limited. Our compliment our guys. The goal was he to compliment Lavine and Lonzo ball.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/15/2024  8:23 AM
I feel like the Randle injury bought a little time

I think this FO -- which is largely missing from the public -- won't ever really face public pressure to do something. I think the real pressure comes with our contracts guys getting better, and everyone needing to get paid. If they don't factor the contracts in, it will be really hard to get better in the coming seasons

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

4/15/2024  9:07 AM
Draft Bronny in round 2 and bring in Lebron to play PF next season. Boom.
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

4/15/2024  9:11 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:I feel like the Randle injury bought a little time

I think this FO -- which is largely missing from the public -- won't ever really face public pressure to do something. I think the real pressure comes with our contracts guys getting better, and everyone needing to get paid. If they don't factor the contracts in, it will be really hard to get better in the coming seasons

we could just let Randle walk in 2 years, especially if we show we can win without him. He'll be 32 and getting more injury prone.

Mitch is another guy that I think can be moved for a future first or something. Those two leaving free up close to $45m.

Add in the fact that we didn't pay RJ & IQ $55m, and instead will pay OG $35m or so... we aren't in a bad place contracts wise.

Philc1

4/15/2024  9:14 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Knicks haven't paid the luxury tax in years. I think it makes sense to keep Bogdanovic (at least for trade purposes), pay OG Achiuwa and I Hart. I Hart's salary is limited to 14 million with 8% raises, meaning a team would have to use cap space to sign him. I don't think he fits with Pistons Hornets or Spurs so hopefully Knicks can keep him. If the right vets want to sign here for MLE, Knicks should do it too- I'm thinking DeRozan or Chris Paul.

Looking around the league, I don't see any obvious candidates for a tear down. It seems like the biggest candidates are Chicago and Atlanta but neither team has shown much inclination to opt for a rebuild. If there ever was a time to spend the luxury tax, it's now.

OG is going to opt out which gives us about $17 mil in cap space next offseason. We can not pick up Jericho option which gives us another $2-3 mil. Then resign both guys after we sign a big ticket FA

gradyandrew
Member: #8959

4/15/2024  9:32 AM
Philc1 wrote:
gradyandrew wrote:Knicks haven't paid the luxury tax in years. I think it makes sense to keep Bogdanovic (at least for trade purposes), pay OG Achiuwa and I Hart. I Hart's salary is limited to 14 million with 8% raises, meaning a team would have to use cap space to sign him. I don't think he fits with Pistons Hornets or Spurs so hopefully Knicks can keep him. If the right vets want to sign here for MLE, Knicks should do it too- I'm thinking DeRozan or Chris Paul.

Looking around the league, I don't see any obvious candidates for a tear down. It seems like the biggest candidates are Chicago and Atlanta but neither team has shown much inclination to opt for a rebuild. If there ever was a time to spend the luxury tax, it's now.

OG is going to opt out which gives us about $17 mil in cap space next offseason. We can not pick up Jericho option which gives us another $2-3 mil. Then resign both guys after we sign a big ticket FA

Signing free agents is really tough because you have to renounce their Bird Rights as well. So for the Knicks to sign 40 million in free agents they would have to give up on resigning OG BB Burkes IHart, and Precious. It makes more sense to sign those guys and then try for trades.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
4/15/2024  9:54 AM
Philc1 wrote:Draft Bronny in round 2 and bring in Lebron to play PF next season. Boom.

Have some self respect. We don't want sloppy seconds.

Philc1

4/15/2024  10:01 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
Philc1 wrote:Draft Bronny in round 2 and bring in Lebron to play PF next season. Boom.

This might be my only chance to see the Knicks win a championship in my lifetime I would root for OJ if I think he could help us

DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/15/2024  10:06 AM
I think they are scheming to get Mikal. But I also think they have built enough goodwill with this team to stay the course as well. We saw with MIL this year and also with the Pistons trade that shaking things up to add "talent", especially offensive talent, doesn't always make you better. They have a good thing going here. Seismic moves need to be done carefully. This team could legitimately push 60 wins next year with small tweaks and good health.

Can we get Rokas to come over? If not, let's find a legitimate ball handler for the second unit.

Clear up the C situation. Throw the bag at iHart, decide if Mitch wants to stay. If he's cool being backup then keep him around. If not I think we resign Precious and draft a big. If Precious wants to stay in a limited role with both bigs coming back, and we can get him at value, then cool.

Use our picks to replenish the youth - maybe trade up in the draft to grab a ball handler or a young forward.

Decide if we want Bogey to be an everynight player next year or a contract asset.

Small tweaks and another year of chemistry and this team is already a contender. So no need to go crazy until you get a legitimate shot at a playoff run at full health. But you don't turn down opportunities if one presents itself (i.e. Giannis, Embiid, Mikal or maybe Donovan)

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2024  10:35 AM

I'm down for this!

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SergioNYK
USA
4/15/2024  10:43 AM
Philc1 wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:

This might be my only chance to see the Knicks win a championship in my lifetime I would root for OJ if I think he could help us

I rather be ringless over having that turd LeBum or KD on the team. The journey and characters matter.

SergioNYK
USA
4/15/2024  10:43 AM
martin wrote:

I'm down for this!

Shame on you!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2024  11:01 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
martin wrote:

I'm down for this!

Shame on you!

How is it any different than trading for OG?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
4/15/2024  11:15 AM
martin wrote:

I'm down for this!

I’m sure Miami is too so get in line.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
SergioNYK
USA
4/15/2024  11:55 AM
martin wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:
martin wrote:

I'm down for this!

Shame on you!

How is it any different than trading for OG?

OG won't bring the circus with him and make it all about him either. And how could anyone want LeBum after he dissed us when he was in his prime? Now you want him at the tail end of his career? No thanks. I'm good. I want this team to be about Brunson and the Villanova Knicks and Randle's comeback. Not about a 40 year old diva chasing another ring and wasting a draft pick on his son who hasn't proven to be an NBA level player.

DLeethal
Member: #9126

4/15/2024  12:28 PM
From a pure basketball perspective, LeBron playing the 4 in Randle's role is picture perfect for this team.
Philc1

4/15/2024  1:48 PM
DLeethal wrote:From a pure basketball perspective, LeBron playing the 4 in Randle's role is picture perfect for this team.

Bingo

What’s your opinion? Does this supernova Brunson ascension put pressure on FO to go all in this summer?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy