[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Zach Edey
Author Thread
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/6/2024  8:00 PM
Where do you guys think this guy will get drafted? I kinda like him.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/6/2024  9:26 PM
25th thru 35th.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
4/7/2024  7:22 AM
I think somewhere in the range of our 2 firsts. So late first round. I would be interested in him in that range. Knicks already have 2 better centers, but we can always use center depth and he would be an upgrade over Sims. And if the Knicks eventually think Mitch’s contract will be used in a bigger trade than Edey would be a good backup center behind Hartenstein to give a different look. He’s an impact player on both ends and thibs can deploy him in drop coverage as well as anyone.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/7/2024  10:57 AM
I’ve only seen a few minutes of Edy playing and I think college hoops is horrible basketball vs what is used to be but when I think of all the draft busts that will happen and do happen I would not mind if Knicks used 1 of their picks in the early 20s on a big boy with such great size and production.

Draft Edy - have Hart/Precious/Edy/Sims big 4 and move Mitch for a bag of turds.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

4/7/2024  12:19 PM
I don't watch college hoops but I suppose his stock is going up? He'll be 22 in May. Is RJ 22 yet? Just a quick glance at the stats shows he scores and rebounds and blocks but no 3 pointer or much on assists. Doesn't seem like a priority to me but I don't know anything.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/7/2024  2:16 PM
I remember Briggs was high on Clingan and Edey. I don't see either a s a lottery pick but I could see them land from mid-20a to second round.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Member: #748
4/7/2024  6:28 PM
I like UConn center better, but he’s projected to go in the late teens. With all the euro and gleaguers, you never know who would slide down. Happens every year. But I only saw a little bit of Edey and he looks like he will fall to the second round. But he is 7’4
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/7/2024  10:24 PM
Edey is Rik Smits reincarnated
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

4/7/2024  11:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2024  3:24 PM
Have to see if he can put on some weight and muscle, but his handling of the ball when double-teamed was pretty lame vs NC State. I think Alabama would've beaten Purdue if they had been in that bracket. He really needs some work, but if he's around when we pick, he might be a project worth taking.

With that said, if he somehow has a great game vs UConn, he won't be around for us to have to make that decision.

I prefer Clingan.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Knixkik
USA
4/8/2024  8:01 AM
VDesai wrote:Edey is Rik Smits reincarnated

Totally accurate. 25 years ago he’s the top pick in the draft. But things have changed so much in the league. I wonder how much different of a prospect he is than Yao Ming coming into the draft.

Nalod
USA
4/8/2024  8:39 AM
Briggs loves his Huskies so it easy to see why he becomes enthralled with them. Edey was mentioned by him last year and he did return to NCAA having lost weight to gain quickness. In a sense he bulked down! He was dominant last year but was not seen by NBA GM’s as ready then.

Rik Smits? Close your eyes and try to remember how Rik used to hurt knicks. Thats right, his mid range jump shot! Maybe Edey has it but he is not showing it. In the games I have seen I see a lumbering giant with a nice jump hook against smaller players.

soon to be 3 time MVP, one time NBA champion and future first ballot HOF Jokic is also a lumbering big dude but his footwork, handle and jump shot, let alone his vision is off the charts. Im only comparing because one might have hope that Edey can a force in the NBA. Not fair to compare at all. Just thinking of body type. Jokic came to NBA two years younger and by year three (same age Edey will be next season) He was beginnig to break out. What does Smits and Jokic have in common? Range and you ad to play up to those guys making them dangerous passers which opened up the lanes. If Edey can do this he will have a great career.

Think of iHart and how quick he is. Josh allen, claxton, and others are very quick. THat DJ Burns at 6’8 was able to take him low effectively was telling. DJ burns wont’ sniff the NBA.

Tonite will be a good game for him. Clingan is more mobile and has size.

Does this mean one should not draft Edey? Im not saying that. Naturally his footwork, conditioning and strength can all be improved but to what degree? You can’t teach height which makes him very compelling. He will be 22 in May.

Chandler
Member: #6197

4/8/2024  9:53 AM
i wanted him last year

good coaches will see traits that can be exploited/leveraged. Bad coaches try and fit a player into some preconceived mold.

somehow i think he ends up on the celtics who then unload KP -- who has played very well for them but they have a HUGE salary problem

(5)(5)
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
4/8/2024  10:09 AM
Clingan is pretty stout defensively. Sounds like there is momentum for him to go top 5. Looks like he can have an impact like Walker Kessler. Will see if he keeps developing his shot.

Smits had a soft touch - great hook shot and was very good from 12 feet. I don't think he had as much range as Ewing or was adept with his turnaround, but he had a really soft touch and his range gave Ewing problems. Smits was non-existent on defense and not great on the boards and super slow. So they Davis boys with their great combo of brute strength and good athletic ability were perfect fits next to him. Very different and slow NBA game back then. Edey maybe not at that level yet, but has a really good offensive game. Someone mentioned Yao and that's a good comp too - though I always thought Yao played like Smits himself.

Nalod
USA
4/8/2024  1:40 PM
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/8/2024  9:50 PM
Watching th championship game. Early analysis. I would take Edey over Clingan. I would take Edey with the later 1st round pick we have
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

4/8/2024  10:28 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Watching th championship game. Early analysis. I would take Edey over Clingan. I would take Edey with the later 1st round pick we have

Surprised that Hurley hasn't given Clingan more help down low, which is how NC State got Edey to turn the ball over. Have Clingan overplay him even more than he's doing...make Edey go to his left hand, and then have a defender drop down to disrupt Edey's .

Not sure Edey will be available for us if he has a second half similar to the first. His stock has gone up significantly, IMO, and Clingan's has dropped.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Knixkik
USA
4/8/2024  10:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/8/2024  10:35 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Watching th championship game. Early analysis. I would take Edey over Clingan. I would take Edey with the later 1st round pick we have

I would absolutely take Edey with one of our picks. Great center depth and would give the Knicks a totally different look. Thibs can use him. He’s a good offensive rebounder and shot blocking presence on top of the offense.

Nalod
USA
4/8/2024  10:43 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:

Surprised that Hurley hasn't given Clingan more help down low, which is how NC State got Edey to turn the ball over. Have Clingan overplay him even more than he's doing...make Edey go to his left hand, and then have a defender drop down to disrupt Edey's .

Not sure Edey will be available for us if he has a second half similar to the first. His stock has gone up significantly, IMO, and Clingan's has dropped.

He said he tire him out.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

4/9/2024  6:55 AM
I don't see how Edey isn't a first rounder. I know everyone wants a 19 year old to get drafted, not a 22 year old senior. That said, I believe he is only the second player in history to win the Wooden Award twice (the other being Ralph Sampson)

I think we all think how stupid it was for Brunson to last until the second round. I think Edey will prove the same thing. Edey obviously knows how to play and gets you 25/12 and is 7'4"

I watched Edey a lot this year and his tenacity is the thing Thibs would fall in love with. I would love to get him on our roster

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
USA
4/9/2024  7:48 AM
IM not saying that Edey can't develop into a decent player. But can he become Smits? He was taken right after Ewing so its not like he was a project, he was well thought of.
Naturally we get "march madness" and this kid carried his team to the championship game.
Maybe he defies common sense like Brunson did? Maybe. These scouting reports and mock drafts are often more correct than not. There is no science that is perfect.
I see size and its advantages Vs. Clingan he was tested and size mattered. Clingan has an outside shot. Will it convert to NBA? What other moves does Edey have on offense and what about moving the ball?
Sometimes National player of the year goes lower in draft and has to prove themselves. Sometimes they go higher and still don't play to the draft position. If your using Brunson as the litmus test, consider Mr. Obi Toppin.
Past winners:

2023 Zach Edey Purdue
2022 Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky
2021 Luka Garza Iowa
2020 Obi Toppin Dayton
2019 Zion Williamson Duke
2018 Jalen Brunson Villanova
2017 Frank Mason III Kansas
2016 Buddy Hield Oklahoma
2015 Frank Kaminsky III Wisconsin
2014 Doug McDermott Creighton
2013 Trey Burke Michigan
2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
2011 Jimmer Fredette BYU
2010 Evan Turner Ohio State
2009 Blake Griffin Oklahoma
2008 Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina
2007 Kevin Durant Texas
2006 J.J. Redick Duke
2005 Andrew Bogut Utah
2004 Jameer Nelson Saint Joseph's
2003 T.J. Ford Texas
2002 Jay Williams Duke
2001 Shane Battier Duke
2000 Kenyon Martin Cincinnati
1999 Elton Brand Duke

Some of these guys turned out just fine as pro's. Some did not. Some really looked good in March madness and fans were enthralled by them. Thats what happens. How does Jimmer not translate to the NBA? Maybe he was before his time?
Some of these guys had careers cut by injuries, and some had pretty good careers. Dougie Buckets!!!!

I have read Boston perhaps takes him at the end of the 1st. Good teams can take guys like this and work with them for a few years. Bad teams need improvement sooner than later.

I posted video of smith and reminder of that nice mid range jumper he had. Perhaps today they extend it to the 3. Granted, Those are NBA highlights and Edgy career is still ahead of him. Smits was durable, avg. 26 min a game, 15 and 6 totals made just one all star game in the era when Giants ruled the paint. He played along two very big tough 4's who perhaps also carried the defense better than he did. Donnie Walsh constructed some really good teams in that era that contended but never broke thru in the Detroit, Knick, Cav's and Bulls era.

Zach Edey

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy